Apples product lifecycle management is brilliant - the iPad Pro 9.7 is just one example

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Booji, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I've always been amazed at how Apple can balance the new product design with the concern of the current users. With ever update, you can be assured that hanging on to last year's model, you won't feel that you have an outdated or obsolete design.

I had an iPad Air 2 and when the IPP 9.7 came out, as with any new Apple release, I'm torn between keeping my current device or holding out for the next iteration. The decision needs to come fast, because the longer you wait, the less benefit of upgrading.

I ended up getting the IPP 9.7. Was it huge jump from the Air 2? That answer depends if you are an early adopter and/or technology fanatic. For me, it was quite a nice jump including the speed increase, much improved display, quad speakers and of course the amazing accessories - the Pen and ASK really transformed the device in my opinion.

For many, I would not recommend the upgrade and the Air 2 stil remains a really awesome tablet. I would even recommend it over IPP depending on the use case.

So, for the early adopters, we get enough to upgrade. For the rest, they can be happy that their iPad did not become obsolete, and it looks just like the most advanced version.

Brilliant. That drives resale value so it works for the early adopters as well.

2. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I'm still amazed the old iPad 2 is on the latest version old iOS!

I have the 12.9 IPP and plan on keeping it. Assured with the power it will be running the latest OS for many years.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm still amazed that even though I know that everything you said above is true, I keep updating my iPads. ;)

No, but seriously, I think they do a good job with this as well. But they also do a good job of REALLY making me want to upgrade. The 9.7" Pro was FAR too tempting for me to resist.

4. Rocket Man macrumors member

Apple resale being quite good is one of the reasons I have had every iPad since iPad 3 :D

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm fascinated by what defines a "much improved display". How many people can physically discern the differences between the Air 2 and iPP 9.7 displays to the point that they could describe it as "much improved".

I can understand if one is merely comparing the technical specs, but in everyday actual usage, I wonder how much of the difference is perceptible. Could it be the power of suggestion? (the specs indicate that the screen is better so psychologically the conclusion is that it IS better). Could explain why people complain about the non-Retina display on the Macbook Airs as being, "a pixelated blurry abomination". :)

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Going from an Air2 to 12.9 iPP, I did notice some difference in the display. For about the first month or so after I got the iPP, I was like, "yuck, display not good," whenever I picked up my Air2. Then gradually, I stopped noticing the difference, until now, I hardly notice any difference.

7. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

I really love the True Tone, and its cool when you see it change.

8. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

I'm a display fanatic and I noticed the 40% increased in reflectivity. Really noticeable when the display is turned off compared to the Air 2. The Air 2 is no slouch in this department. I also noticed the 500 nit brightness boost too. As for color from both gamuts, harder to notice. To the average consumer? iPad Air 2 is where the value is. Still an awesome tablet going on 2 years now.