All iPads Apple's profit (ipad mini retina vs ipad air)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macfacts, Dec 28, 2013.

1. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

So which one does Apple make more money off of? The 16GB ipad mini retina or the 16GB ipad air?

2. dljor macrumors regular

Material wise it has to be the mini.

Not sure about the overall cost.

3. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

4. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I would say they have the same profit margin and markup so they would make a higher dollar amount on air

5. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Yes the smaller device costs less in supplies but it still needs the assembly lines and manufacturing and shipping and marketing and overhead, etc. The ipad air costs $100 more, and it doesn't cost apple $100 more for supplies for the ipad air.

6. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Air no doubt. I don't think there's a single difference in terms of assembly between the Mini and the Air, it's just a different conveyor belt it comes off of. So we're talking minuscule increase in cost for the slightly larger materials with a $100 markup.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That makes sense except that usually it costs more money to make things smaller when it comes to electronics so that makes me lean towards the Air being more profitable from a percentage or margin standpoint.

8. samiznaetekto, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

This is not a factor here. Logic board and most of other components are the same between the Air and the rMini. It's just different size enclosure which should be cheaper to make for a smaller tablet. The only difference that adds to that $100 difference is rMini's higher ppi screen. $10 extra? $20?

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Air has a less dense display, and less dense battery.

Air is going to have much higher profit margin.

10. Jasonkrick macrumors member

Knowing absolutely nothing about apples actual cost of manufacturing...

I would 'assume' that the rMini would have a lesser profit margin due to initial higher tooling cost to make a different retina display size.

The current Air retina display has been in use since 3rd gen. So, I would guess that their current profit margin would be higher.

And I still can't believe that 2 is still for sale. Did they over manufacture those or what?

11. dljor macrumors regular

iPad 2 is still a hot seller.

Air has a different screen, I thought.

12. rajpatel macrumors regular

I sold my 4 ydy for 320 to someone who said he was considering a 2 for his kid. I wish I hadn't low balled the price on cl. I just figured 320 was decent and would also get it sold. Perusing cl for other cities, I see now I coulda gotten probably 360 for it easy and yes, those forty absent dollars are annoying me.

I'm really glad overall tho except for losing another forty to fifty bucks on an easy sale and hot commodity. Had there been no rmini, I woulda stayed put with my 4. I wanted the Rmini ever since the reg mini came out a yr ago. After a month with it, it was a tad small and I exchanged it for the air. I am grateful to the Rmini for getting me out of my 4 groove. I have already been far more active with the Air than I ever was with the 4, carrying it all over the house, to the bookstore, library,a road trip etc.