Apple's Purchase of Quattro Wireless Confirmed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Mobile advertising company Quattro Wireless confirms today that it has been acquired by Apple. The news follows a report late yesterday that the deal had been reached, with Apple agreeing to pay $275 million for Quattro.
Happy New Year from Quattro Wireless!

We are thrilled to let you know that Apple has acquired Quattro. We want to share with you our excitement about this news and what it means for our customers.
The announcement on Quattro's site is signed by former Quattro CEO Andy Miller, who reveals that his title is now Vice President of Mobile Advertising at Apple.

Earlier reports claimed that Apple had considered purchasing leading mobile advertising firm AdMob in the weeks prior to Google's announcement in early November that it would acquire the company. That deal has yet to receive the approval from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission necessary for finalizing the transaction.

Article Link: Apple's Purchase of Quattro Wireless Confirmed

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Interesting move by Apple. I wonder how this plays into their mobile strategy moving forward. It's going to be an interesting 2010 for Apple. :apple:

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Great For Apple and the Ad market

Looks Like Apple will put there polish on the Ad industry. I can't wait to see the new revolutionary ideas in the Ad space.

I don't like ads but if its done by Apple, I know I'll enjoy them.

iDisk

:apple:

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I wonder if he asked Steve if he could let the cat out the bag!!

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
Interesting but not unexpected move by Apple. Apple goes slow in their acquiring frenzy but their approach is measured!

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Interesting but not unexpected move by Apple. Apple goes slow in their acquiring frenzy but their approach is measured!
Nice to see Apple using their cash for strategic acquisitions. I expect Apple to make several more acquisitions in the next couple of years.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Tablet Ad Placement

Interesting move by Apple. I wonder how this plays into their mobile strategy moving forward.
Here's my guess: the Quattro folks will help Apple to offer high-quality, video-enabled advertising for content providers on the new tablet. Sort of a rich-experience magazine style of advertising (full page, in between content) rather than the distracting banner ads we see on the web (partial-page, alongside content).

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
Congratulations Apple! You are really growing into much more than just a computer company.

When should we expect your announcement that you bought a search engine company? Ask.com, EntireWeb.com, and many similar others are likely for sale.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Shows over guys - Apple now has a Mobile Advertising division. Today begins my migration off of the OS X platform. Can't do it overnight, but I'm think CS5 will be the Windows version.

This will be remembered as a dark day in the world of Apple several years from now.

Gazoobee

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
Here's my guess: the Quattro folks will help Apple to offer high-quality, video-enabled advertising for content providers on the new tablet. ... full page, in between content ... rather than the distracting banner ads we see on the web (partial-page, alongside content).
Do you realise how insane this comment is?

Full page ads are far more distracting than banner ads. You only have to look at the ad supported iPhone apps to see that.

Personally, I think the whole idea of "ad supported" software is an evil joke and why there are ads of any kind on the iPhone I just don't understand. I pay $800-$900 dollars for a device, I pay $70 a month for the privilege of using it, and it has ads on it?

People will eat dirt out of the yard if you present it to them the right way I guess. :rolleyes:

Chintan100

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
India
Advertising isnt always distracting.

Just use Tweetie for Mac and you will know. Or Twitterrifc for iPhone.

Infact i consider the ads on Tweetie for Mac to be so beautiful that its actually a feature you are removing when you upgrade. :p

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Shows over guys - Apple now has a Mobile Advertising division. Today begins my migration off of the OS X platform. Can't do it overnight, but I'm think CS5 will be the Windows version.

This will be remembered as a dark day in the world of Apple several years from now.

Oh please. Did your public pronouncement make you feel better? Do you have any idea what Apple plans? Yeah, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Personally, I think the whole idea of "ad supported" software is an evil joke and why there are ads of any kind on the iPhone I just don't understand. I pay $800-$900 dollars for a device, I pay $70 a month for the privilege of using it, and it has ads on it?

People will eat dirt out of the yard if you present it to them the right way I guess. :rolleyes:
What does the $800-$900 have to do with ads. That's the cost of the device.

What does the $70 carrier fee have to do with ads?

Those are the costs for the device and service respectively.

Ad supported software? Don't use it. Buy versions without ads. I don't see where ads have anything to do with the price of the device or the cost of monthly service. :rolleyes:

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Looks Like Apple will put there polish on the Ad industry. I can't wait to see the new revolutionary ideas in the Ad space.

I don't like ads but if its done by Apple, I know I'll enjoy them.

iDisk

:apple:
I don't know... an ad's an ad...

I just hope the iPhone / iPod touch / iSlate Tablet or whatever doesn't go from...

"There's an APP for that!" to...

"There's an AD for that!"... :eek:

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Here's my guess: the Quattro folks will help Apple to offer high-quality, video-enabled advertising for content providers on the new tablet. Sort of a rich-experience magazine style of advertising (full page, in between content) rather than the distracting banner ads we see on the web (partial-page, alongside content).
Don't limit this to a tablet. If I sent out one ad per iphone alone i'd have the President of Nike's American' Advertising Division on his freaking knees right now(Probably serving me some sorta of fresh fruit deseart with yogart while watching reruns of old 90's TV Shows).

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Oh please. Did your public pronouncement make you feel better? Do you have any idea what Apple plans? Yeah, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:
I'm guessing its mobile advertising. Call me crazy, but given the IP of the company they just bought and their new department, I think its clear.

It will not happen overnight - but I could see GPS aware ads on the iPhone. For example, the GPS sees that you have entered into a Wal-Mart, at which time you will get a push notification about razors and soap.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I still can't imagine that this merely has to do with "ads" in the traditional sense that many of you cynics are dooming and glooming about.

Quattro "empowers advertisers and publishers." Look at some of their case studies. A Minesweeper iPhone App. A wine company. If I wrote a book or created a digital magazine, couldn't I be my own publisher? If I recorded a few songs, couldn't I publish my own music? If I made a video podcast and wanted to sell episodes, couldn't I advertise and publish it, myself? Of course, and it would be great if Apple created a platform to allow me to do this, similar to the App Store.

Maybe this is far fetched thinking, but if this were to allow users to create and publish their own content for a tablet-like device, this could be very lucrative for Apple, individual content creators and the mobile platform as a whole.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
we are going to see more and more ads on both the iphone and the tablet, hopefully apple won't make them as bad and as intrusive as some others do, personally I just don't look at them anyway!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm guessing its mobile advertising.
Guessing? So you don't know.

Call me crazy,
I'd be happy to but we have rules in this forum.

but given the IP of the company they just bought and their new department, I think its clear.

It will not happen overnight - but I could see GPS aware ads on the iPhone. For example, the GPS sees that you have entered into a Wal-Mart, at which time you will get a push notification about razors and soap.
Of course, you could turn off those features if you didn't want them.

Maybe they did this to slow Google's growth in mobile advertising and further extend their iPhone/iPod touch ecosystem. Perhaps developers will get a better deal if they use Apple's network instead of Google's. There are many other possibilities other than your "guesses".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.