Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple released a sample Web 2.0 game for the iPhone called Puzzler.
"Puzzler" is a fun and interactive game that illustrates the use of web standards and JavaScript for the iPhone.

This application makes advanced usage of mouse-handlers for user-input.

To play the game simply double-click or double-tap on any set of 2 or more balls of the same color that are touching. The balls will disappear and any balls above or to the left of the balls you just eliminated will shift into new positions. The goal is to clear all the balls from the screen.
We've installed it at https://www.macrumors.com/iphone/puzzler/

Article Link

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I just tried it.. it's pretty fun. Can't see it having last appeal for more than 5 minutes at a time though.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
So far my best is 4 left..

Wish it was a little faster on edge

Edit: best is now 1 left :)

Capn_Moho

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I used to be addicted (probably still am) to this game. Still am trying to figure out a system to always win. Do I start left or right, top bottom or middle. Anyway try the original at http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/atplay/block.jsp

I vote for random clicking in the bottom right until the problem is sufficiently reduced that you can discern the best click.

Not every combination has a valid solution.

I wish there was an undo.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Five. Red, Orange, Purple, Teal, and Green.
Bah! I see only four colors, which I'd say were red, dark blue, light blue, and green. That means that what I think is red is red, what I think are dark and light blue are actually purple and teal (or teal and purple), and I think both the orange and green dots are green.

So this game isn't for me! Although even without being able tell orange and green apart, I got it down to 3.

But I'd still like to hear what people's strategies are.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
The balls turned gray and then dissapeared erratically.. I know JavaScript is capable of much more.. :(

defeated

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
web games. lol There were web games, I know, I know, there is no need to "illustrate", just release as much as they can, I bet they will be all the same type.

For iPhone's hardware, its outrageous apple doesn't allow real game to be run at OS level. People, go ahead do some petitions. User's demand is the biggest motivation.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
dosn't work for me for some reason, when i click on the balls they turn gray and just stay there.??

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
is it just me or does that game screw anybody elses fonts up on their PC (I'm at work... not on my mac :'( ahhh) for a couple of minutes? It makes them looks kinda 8 bit.

jTm

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
That's one of my favorite games on my HP iPaq hx4700. I have a more primative version of it on my Treo 700p.

This web-based one seems to work the same way, but geez... wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a stand-alone app on the iPhone, so you don't need a good wireless connection to use it?

DrMoray

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
Fun game. Interesting to see Apple's method for the HTML code. Basically what others have said with the line:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=320, user-scalable=no">

Interesting to see that's the right way of doing it.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Black looks better

I changed it into a black background for my niece's site... looks much better in black. BTW anyone else notice that it is a tad too big for the iPhone, the reset button is partially off the screen when the page loads.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I finally beat the game! ... or so I thought. By carefullly thinking ahead, I got it down to a single pair of green dots. :)

But when I clicked them, they didn't turn gray. One must have been orange! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.