Apple's QC - bad? (Ipod Touch issues)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacCobbler, May 16, 2008.

1. MacCobbler macrumors newbie

I'm now on my third iPod Touch 16gb.

First one had negative black issues. Took it back.

Got to my car with the second one, turned it on and straight away noticed a dead, white pixel on the screen. Took it back.

Got my third. No negative black issues and no stuck pixels, but i have a fair few 'sparkly' sub pixels (I think that's what they are) as detailed by someone else here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=362200

Now, these are only noticeable on black scenes, if you really look for them and they kind of appear and dissapear at certain angles. Not a major gripe, but the screen is clearly deffective in someway.

For a purchase of well over £200, I dont think I'm being fussy here. Am I? What is happening with Apple's QC?

Has anyone else noticed these 'sparkles' on their touch?

2. arcadeforest macrumors member

Don't really know what to say beyond it seems that you are having bad luck. Purchased a 32gig about one month ago and have had no problems.

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm convinced they all have stuck pixels...you just have a good eye for them. keep trying, you won't ever get a perfect one.

4. mr.light macrumors 6502

I think your luck is really bad. No troubles with mine either. I have had no quarrels with Apple's QC on any of my many products... except perhaps my son's MBP. He had a yellowing problem with the screen.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

No company's quality control will be good enough to make every product perfect for everyone. ever.

6. cjmal macrumors 6502

I don't really think it's Apple's QC, I believe it's more that they went cheap on the type of screens that they use. Go look in the iMac/Macbook forums, even they are having issues with the screens. I had the iPhone exchanged 4 times before I decided to just get a refund. Then I went out and bought a touch - same problem with the negative screens and I went trough 3 before returning it and getting a refund. This was in December. Last month I gave the Touch another shot and ended up with an iPod with a negative screen. I returned it and haven't bought a new iPod since then. I'm hoping they won't have the same problem with the 3g iPhone.

7. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Not too long ago there was another thread like this, and someone emailed Steve Jobs about the dead pixels, and he actually replied. He said (to the best of my memory, dont quote me 100%), "The industry standard is several dead pixels. If you looking for the perfect screen the iPod Touch is not for you." So it's highly doubtful you'll ever get a perfect one, so learn to live with what you have. It's seems you have a good one right now, so be happy with that and enjoy it =]

8. sers macrumors regular

I've got one stuck pixel on mine, but it doesn't really bother me. I figure nothing's perfect.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Affirmative. I made that thread :) If it comes from Steve, it must be true...haha. I simply thanked him for the reply saying I understand...didn't want to start a whole argument with him since I knew he wouldn't reply back anyways, lol. In reality i.e. from a business standpoint, he's right, but it's his fault for approving the use of such cheap screens on such an expensive device. The stuck pixel really bothers me, but I want the iPod, so whatever, just learn to live with it or ask for a refund. Trust me, you WONT find one without a pixel problem. It's not even funny how many of these things I've seen and all of them have stuck pixels.

10. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting, that Jobs thread.

I'll live with it. I considered going back again to the store this week, but god only knows what I'll end up with if I do that. From the sounds of it, this is quite a widespread problem.

It's a shame, as it's tarnished the initial ownership of this fabulous bit of kit somewhat, but, when all is said and done, it is just that - fabulous. Perhaps I should just enjoy it for what it is :)

11. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Good call. Most of the time, you won't be using it in a dark room in your house...it'll be outside, or wherever. You won't notice the single pixel.