Apple's Refurb List for MB and MBP Updated Daily

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdwingnut, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jdwingnut macrumors regular

It would seem that Apple is updating the refurb store about 3pm PST, daily in order to clear out some inventory before the new models come out next week.

So anyone looking for or needing one can get a pretty good deal with a pretty good selection. The beautiful thing about buying a refurb at this time is, that as soon as the new models are announced, Apple typically lowers the price of all older inventory, including the refurb models.

Any price drop within 14 days of a purchase through Apple qualifies for a full refund of the difference.

With the anticipated lowering of prices on the newer models, it would only stand to reason that all of the current models would get a price cut as well. I'm certainly hoping so :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They update the list all the time. It's nothing new. It has nothing to do with any new product releases... only what refurbs are available at any given time.

3. jdwingnut thread starter macrumors regular

I am aware that the refurb store is updated daily as I watch this on a fairly regular basis. The selection seems to be greater than most times and with the possible discounts available, would seem like a good time to pick up a decent machine for anyone looking to save a buck and still get a pretty nice machine.

I've always liked the refub machines. With the exception of the brown box they come in, I've never been able to tell the difference from new.

4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

5. jdwingnut thread starter macrumors regular

From Apple's Sales and Refund Policies. I've actually taken advantage of this. Not sure who might not know this. That's the purpose for the post.

6. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Would a refurb MBP have the potentially flawed Nvidia graphics card or is that something that would automatically be replaced by Apple before offering it up to the public?

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The refurb models have the same spec as the current (soon to be superseded) models. That means, yes, whatever the spec the current models carry, the refurb will carry the same. Of course, they also come with the Apple warranty, rigorous testing, and the option to add Applecare should you wish to do so. That means that the "potentially flawed" nVidia card will be replaced, or repaired, should it fail.

However, it will not be replaced by Apple prior to sale as they have not accepted that all are flawed, only that those which fail are.
    Cheers

8. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

9. jdwingnut thread starter macrumors regular

Sure it does. I don't know why you would think otherwise. It's clearly stated in Apple's terms when it says "Any" product that ships within 14 days.

I see you're down under from the US. I did just check the AUS Apple store and the terms are the same.

ps. I don't work for Apple, but I do like my Mac's and a good value.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yes, 14 day return policy applies.

As for price cuts, I'm not so sure we'll see anything significant for a few months, at least until the new macbooks start showing up in the refurb section. That takes time, maybe 3-4 months.

other than that, refurbs are such an awesome deal, I am really glad i got one.

It was kinda nerve wracking at first really because I would check the refurb list every few hours to see if the model I wanted was up.

11. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

That answers my question nicely, thank you!

12. jdwingnut thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure about any price cuts either as my crystal ball is in the shop for repair at the moment.

What I do know is that when the Santa Rosa MBP's were upgraded to the Penryn's earlier this year. A week prior to the announcement, I received a MBP that was priced at $2249 from the Apple refurb store. The day the new MBP's were released, this same machine in the refurb store dropped to $1849 and I did get a refund for the difference.

I also have a family member this happened with as well. My speculation in all of this is, that with the new models being announced at a lower price point, it would only make sense that anything in the refub store would get a lower price as well, at least that's what experience has shown me.

We will all see in 2 more days. Enjoy the wait :D