Apple's Remote app gets an update...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by efp1, Jun 24, 2009.

1. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Says it can now control apple TV with touch gestures? Has anyone tried it?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's pretty awesome if true. :apple:tv users, sound in!

3. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i just updated mine but i don't see the option to control the :apple:TV but look at the screenshot from the App Store page. that's not showing up for me.

Attached Files:

4. efp1 thread starter macrumors 6502

efp1

Have you connected the app with your Apple TV? Maybe it only shows up after it's connected with it?

5. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

yep. i even uninstalled and reinstalled it. maybe the :apple:TV can't be in standby mode, let me try that.

EDIT: just tried that and still no luck

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

have you tried updating the apple tv? i've just noticed theres an update, applying now..

7. efp1 thread starter macrumors 6502

efp1

Did you also try to connect both devices? If you go into settings, click on 'add library.' It'll prompt you to insert the number into the other device in order to pair it.

It also says:

"To add Apple TV, go to your Apple TV and choose Remotes from the General menu in Settings"

8. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i didn't think about that, i'll try that now. thanks

yes, it's paired. i can select movies and stuff but the control tab is not showing up. i'm going to update my :apple:TV and see if that works.

EDIT: it works after you update your :apple:TV

9. astrosaurus macrumors newbie

astrosaurus

Remote works for a little while then stopped working. No idea what's wrong with my network :(

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

glad it helped, it works quite nicely, now you can actually navigate menus rather than just choosing things already in your library..

11. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I don't see the menu either on the iPhone. Did I miss a menu item on the aTV that enable it on the phone?

12. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

no, just update the app and update the :apple:TV. allows this updates allows you to have different tabs for different profiles. i.e. on my iTunes profile I have it set to Songs, Artist, Playlist, Search, and More and on my :apple:TV I have Movies, TV Shows, Control, and More. Previously, the tabs would match up on each profile.

13. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I updated the aTV and also the iPhone App. I still don't see the menu which allows me to control the aTV. Let me restart everything and see what i can find?

14. efp1 thread starter macrumors 6502

efp1

Just out of curiosity... You guys think the Remote app has to go through Apple's approval process?? :D

I highly doubt it! haha

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not sure if it was always this way, but the ATV update doesn't install automatically...first you confirm downloading, then you might think the update was installed, but it wasn't. You have to install it manually.

The remote "control" thing is cool. Not really sure how neccessary it is. I have plenty of control over the ATV with the normal method, tapping icons. Maybe movie goers will appreciate it more. I use the ATV for music only.

IMO Apple made the "flick" gestures backwards. I want to flick left to advance to the next song and flick right to go back. Even the App Store's image previews work this way. They've made it the opposite direction on the Remote app, although it does mimic the flick directions of Safari on a Macbook for navigating back/forth between web pages.

16. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I manually updated the :apple:TV actually both of them. I even deleted the App and after restarting the phone installed the App again. This works great connecting to iTunes but no :apple:TV. Bummer b/c that would be a nice feature. Hahahaha, maybe I have a bad phone? Hmmmmm. 3GS currently, Let me go install it on my old 3G and see what happens?

BRB

Edit* DOH!.... It works fine now. I had to add the :apple:TV to the iPhone Library. It was only showing my Mac Library in the other room. After adding the :apple:TV it works great.

So to recap: Turn on :apple:TV and navigate to the settings where you would pair a remote. Open the iPhone App and add to the Library a 4 digit number pops up and enter it on the :apple:TV like you would in iTunes on a Mac and then it's active.

:)