Apple's Remote app...only backwards?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boston04and07, Jan 3, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I love how I can control iTunes on my computer with my phone using that Remote app from Apple...but, is there any way for me to control the music on my iPhone from my Mac? (Preferably over Wifi?) I usually listen to music from my iPhone instead of from my Macbook since my phone has its own docking station with speakers that sound so much better than my laptop's speakers.

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

3. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

If you're saying that his laptop speakers are horrible because he prefers to use his iPhone speakers, I think he meant he has a sweet iPhone speaker dock that sounds better than his laptop speakers. And they most likely do. If not, just forget this post. :cool:

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You can do this via VNC if you're phone is Jailbroken, but AFAIK there's no officially supported way to control the iPhone from your computer.

5. metman787 macrumors member

I know the older macbook speakers are really really bad

6. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Aww, thanks anyways! You were right vinay, my Macbook speakers aren't any worse than anyone else's Macbook speakers...which are still worse than the external speakers I have for my phone. :) Oh well, just thought I'd ask!

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

this method doesn't use the iPhone or the dock, but I use airport express in my room and I control the the music and speakers from my mac, it cost $99 and it works great. i know it's not what you were asking, but it's an option.

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

I use 'JollyFastVNC' on my MBP and Saurik's 'Veency' on the iPhone

You can pretty much do anything then.

I often have my iPhone in my bag after univeristy and from my MBP i can send/receive calls using my MBP as a bluetooth headset, read/send text messages and control the ipod function etc.

Give it a try - The only bad thing is the connection, though over wifi, is too slow for video and sometimes there is a 1-2second lag.

But either way, give it a try, might work for you!

9. squeeb macrumors newbie

Same here on the Veencee front.

It's a pity there's no applescript implementation on the iPhone OS :( .. could have used something like osascript to "tell" the iPod player to "play next track" etc..

10. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

That sounds interesting...do you have to jailbreak the iPhone in order to use this? I'm guessing yes...I haven't jailbroken my phone (yet) but have been thinking of it...

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

are you sure your speakers don't have an aux output/input so that you can just connect your laptop to the speakers?

12. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yeah, they don't. :( Plus they're on the bookshelf and I'm usually using my Macbook on the desk. Oh well! I might look into the Veency thing, that sounds interesting! Only issue is jailbreaking since I'm on 10.5.6...

13. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

I do this too and it works really well, and is easily controllable from the iPhone and also is a good alternative to more expensive and less-modifiable multi-room systems.

14. uglydimple12 macrumors newbie

how strong are the signals coming from this airport extreme?

since I am seriously considering ditching my huge wireless router for something compact like this, i like this a lot.

but I am curious how far can I go without getting no signal at all?

OP, didnt mean to hijack your thread, sorry about that