Apples repair policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benwizkid, Oct 4, 2010.

1. benwizkid macrumors member

benwizkid

So I hear that apple changed their policy so that everything cost 310 dollars to repair. Is this true? How does it work?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you still have Apple Care or the one-year warranty? If so, repairs of manufacturing defects will cost nothing.

And where did you hear that tidbit?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple provides a standard one year warranty. If you want to extend that to a full three years, you will need to buy applecare, which is 350 for a MBP (the cost differs depending on the mac you buy). This has always been the case and is nothing new

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

No he's talking about a flat rate $310 repair charge for any repair outside of warranty, e.g. outside of AppleCare, such as $310 to replace a logic board instead of a grand.

I've seen this floating around here a bit too, I am also curious.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I blame clueless people spreading urban legend. Well, they are also the ones who fall for scams so that balances out.

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I've always had AC so I wouldn't know, I guess you need to call some Apple stores or approved apple service sites. I would think it would depend upon what needs to be repaired and the time factor. There is no way of knowing if a set-per-hour fee applies to all locations or not unless you make some phone calls.

7. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

Yes I was referring to the flat rate repair fee. On another note (I still would like to know the first question). How often do logic boards or parts on them (CPU GPU) go bad?

8. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

I doubt anyone can give you an exact answer to that question. I would say (based on my own experience) that if you have a MacBook Pro with an Nvidia 8600 GT you can expect a much higher failure rate than other models.

9. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

I have the 13" 2010 with the 320m. Has that been good on the failure rates as far as to your knowledge?

Thanks for all the replies too guys!

10. c7aea macrumors regular

I went to the repair store yesterday because my mbp won't boot. I was told it is a flat rate. It came to 379 I think. The 310+ a little for shipping and processing. I think it's going to need a new logic board so I was thrilled to hear its only a 3rd of what I have been reading. The woman said they will check and replace anything needed for that price as long as it wasn't my fault. For example if spilled water on the keyboard It would be full price for a new board.
    It seems like a good deal for things like a logic board. Maybe apple realized its not right to charge half the costs of a new computer for something that shouldn't be failing.
    But for for something like a hdd failure I think its still cheaper and easier to DIY.

11. benwizkid thread starter macrumors member

benwizkid

Thats good! I would certainly not expect them to do that if you spilled on it but if it is a defect I think they should be doing that.