Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has released its Research app with three studies related to heart and movement, women's health, and hearing. The app is designed to make it easier for iPhone users to contribute to medical research.

apple-research-app-trio-800x475.jpg

iPhone users in the United States can download the free Research app from the App Store and enroll in the multi-year studies starting today. After enrolling in a study, participants using an iPhone or Apple Watch can contribute movement, heart rate, and noise level data captured during everyday activities.

Apple first previewed its Research app and the first three studies back in September:
- Apple Women's Health Study: In partnership with Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the NIH's National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), Apple has created the first long-term study of this scale focused on menstrual cycles and gynecological conditions. This study will inform screening and risk assessment of conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), infertility, osteoporosis, pregnancy and menopausal transition.

- Apple Heart and Movement Study: Apple is partnering with Brigham and Women's Hospital and the American Heart Association on a comprehensive study of how heart rate and mobility signals -- like walking pace and flights of stairs climbed -- relate to hospitalizations, falls, heart health and quality of life in order to promote healthy movement and improved cardiovascular health.

- Apple Hearing Study: Alongside the University of Michigan, Apple is examining factors that impact hearing health. The Apple Hearing Health Study is the first of its kind to collect data over time in order to understand how everyday sound exposure can impact hearing. The study data will also be shared with the World Health Organization (WHO) as a contribution toward its Make Listening Safe initiative.
Apple COO Jeff Williams:
Today marks an important moment as we embark on research initiatives that may offer incredible learnings in areas long sought after by the medical community. Participants on the Research app have the opportunity to make a tremendous impact that could lead to new discoveries and help millions lead healthier lives.
Apple emphasizes that the Research app was designed to only share data with the chosen studies when the user approves. An enrollment screen explains how data will be used and allows a user to control the type of data shared with each study. Apple says the data collected will never be sold to third parties.

Article Link: Apple's Research App Launches With Heart, Women's Health, and Hearing Studies in United States

Last edited:

Murphy2011

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm not seeing the Research app in the App Store, searching for 'Apple Research' and 'Research'. Any thoughts? I didn't see that it was limited participation or anything like that. I'm on the current iOS and WatchOS. Thanks!

Reactions: ajm222

dohspc

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Plano, TX
Signed up for heart and hearing.
[automerge]1573743904[/automerge]
I'm not seeing the Research app in the App Store, searching for 'Apple Research' and 'Research'. Any thoughts? I didn't see that it was limited participation or anything like that. I'm on the current iOS and WatchOS. Thanks!

Click the link in the article.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I wonder if the heart data I collect in Apple Health app from my Samsung Galaxy Fit device would apply?

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Not seeing it in the App Store, despite clicking on the link. EDIT: Cancel, found it WAY down on the Apple app list.

Last edited:

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm upgrading most of my hardware over the coming year... so after shelling out $1349 for an iPhone, ~$700 for an iPad, $199 for the AppleTV, $249 for AirPods Pro, and $249+ each for HomePod speakers... seems to me I shouldn't have to pay a dime for additional services and content. They should be throwing them in, forever. Yet the boring TV "entertainment" and mindless propaganda posing as "news", may not even be worth $0 if it came to that. Sorry, Apple... hard pass.

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
I understand concerns with App Store bias, but I typed in Apple Research into the app search bar and it was listed as the 20th app.... That's ridiculous. Basically every app before it didn't even have the word research in the app name.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Great idea and application of technology - I only fear self-selection bias will skew the results to represent mostly fit and health-minded individuals rather than the general population.
Self selection within a group that is inclined to buy an exercise monitor, tech savvy enough to buy a smart watch and also rich enough to buy an Apple product. So, overall a vanishingly small part of the general population.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Did the last one but not doing this one. They are asking for way to much information and it is very specific instead of anonymous like last time. Last time you were assigned a number as identification, this time you have to give your name, phone number, living location (not full address). I'm all about research but I really dislike them being able to specifically contact you for fall detection. Not that I fall all the time but if I did I wouldn't want a phone call from them to discuss it.

krantiredeyes

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013

1. You need to be on ios13.2.2
2. You need to have itunes store app.
3. Click the link in this article on your iphone.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I'm upgrading most of my hardware over the coming year... so after shelling out $1349 for an iPhone, ~$700 for an iPad, $199 for the AppleTV, $249 for AirPods Pro, and $249+ each for HomePod speakers... seems to me I shouldn't have to pay a dime for additional services and content. They should be throwing them in, forever. Yet the boring TV "entertainment" and mindless propaganda posing as "news", may not even be worth $0 if it came to that. Sorry, Apple... hard pass.

I don't get it - they aren't charging anything for this application. Sounds like you were responding to the AppleTV+ thread but in the research app thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: iGeneo

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
Look for "Apple's research app". I had the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.