Apples response to battery/sleep issue for glassbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beanlok, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

Has anyone contacted apple regarding the seemingly faulty batteries? If so, what did they say? Exchange, refund, batt. replacement, firmware update? I plan on calling apple later to day when I'm out of school. It's just that I've read several posts of people complaining about these issues but nothing about an apple address.
    Catch ya later.

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's not as widespread as you may think, so Apple is not going to address it, since they have way BIGGER issues to deal with.
    You should just call Apple Care and get a replacement if you think your battery is dying!

3. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

4. hmai18 macrumors 6502

I'm assuming the OP is referring to the faster-than-usual drain on the battery while the new MBs are in sleep mode, compared to previous models.

5. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

When was this established/documented as a fact?

6. Beanlok thread starter macrumors regular

Beanlok

Called them up got a replacement I doubt it will do anygood as I'm 99.9% sure this was not a hardware problem. No one at apple seem to know about the 5% an hour battery loss during sleep mode, however, they all agreed it was ridiculous. Old macbooks and even ibooks loose at most 5% charge after several hours of sleep. I can't see how they would be designed to work this way. Is there anyone who looses only small percentages during sleep? My replacement will be here tomorrow! Ill post back and let yous know if its still doing it.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Mine loses around 1 percent (polycarbonate, not Aluminum) every few hours...

8. Beanlok thread starter macrumors regular

Beanlok

I know the plastic ones and pretty much every other apple laptop get a good efficiency for sleep mode. I'm wondering if any Aluminum owners are experiencing the same efficiency so I decide if it is an isolated problem with only certain machines.

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Hmm, funny you should mention this. The other day, I thought my battery drained about 5% after being in sleep mode for an hour(ish) - I thought I was mistaken. I'll have to pay more attention to the numbers next time I close the lid, but I think I'm experiencing the same problem.

If this is a problem, hopefully it will be fixed through a software update...?

10. hmai18 macrumors 6502

11. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Put my Al-MB to sleep at 45% battery last night, woke up this morning and the battery showed 40%... That's why I was never aware of any problem.

I use the fast sleep (mode 0), but I don't think it matters.

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

fast sleep?? what do you mean? I just shut the lid, is there another way?

13. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Time to do some reading.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

thanks

15. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I would assume "slow sleep" would be hibernation that it does when the battery is low instead of shutting down. It takes longer to wake up from that.

Anyway, you may be having the wake up for bluetooth issue. Make sure you disable it in the bluetooth system pref.

You could also try the SMC reset by shutting down, unplugging the power cord, removing the battery, and holding down the power button for 5 seconds.

Last would be resetting the PRAM by holding down command-option-P-R at startup until it chimes twice.

16. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The reason they don't know is because it's an unusual case. My aluminum Macbook loses 5% over an entire night on sleep, not 5% every hour.

17. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm one of the lucky few that loses roughly 5% every hour.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I just did a little experiment over the course of the last two nights..
    When i had a LOT of applications open and put the MB to sleep, battery life dropped about 10% over 7-8 hours.
    Then last night, i had NOTHING open, just put the MB to sleep and woke up to about 4% loss...
    This may be old news, but I deduced from this that the battery loss in sleep is directly tied to the amount of STUFF the OS has to preserve.... :confused: