Apple's return policy... does it cancel a renewed AT&T contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majordude, Jul 20, 2010.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I am eligible for a new phone. The ONLY reason I would renew with AT&T is for the new iPhone 4.

But I am leery of the antena and proximity sensor issues.

If I return the iPhone, like Apple says I could if I dislike it... do I still have to pay for a two year contract with AT&T?!

Or is it voided by my return?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You won't return it, worst case exchange it if you have the proxy sensor or green dot issue.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

-If you are a new customer or if your current contract has expired and you sign a new 2 year contract, then if you chose to return your phone in the first 30 days then your contract will be canceled with no penalty to you (you still have to pay for the service used in the time that you owned the phone).

-If your currently already on a contract that expires in 6 months and you upgrade your line and sign a new 2 year contract and then choose to return your phone within the first 30 days, then your account goes back to your previous contract. if you want to cancel your line then you have to pay the previous contract $175 ETF.

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that AT&T recently raised the ETF to $350. I'm pretty sure that it was bandied about here on MacRumors.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you sign a new contract (for a smart phone) after June 7th, 2010, then yes, the new ETF is $325. Any contract you signed before June 7th, 2010, the ETF is $175.

So if your current contract has expired or your a new AT&T customer, you have 30 days to return your phone and cancel your contract without penalty (no ETF).

If you have 6 months left (example) on your current contract and you choose to upgrade your line to the new iPhone 4. You now have 30 days to return your phone without having to pay an ETF, but once you return your phone, your account gets reset back to your previous contract (you still have to fulfill that agreement). Now if you return your iPhone 4 and you now completely hate AT&T and want to cancel your contract, as long as your previous contract was signed before June 7th, then your ETF will only be $175.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

lol i liked the boldness of that assumption.

The phone is that sleek though that any mere mortal will be captivated by its shininess. The mass appeal is too predictable.

7. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

:D

Thanks!

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Don't forget the old ETF's went down $5 a month, and then new ones go down by $10 a month. So it's unlikely you'll pay the full $175.