Apple's return policy during the Holiday season

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mm1250, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I am considering buying the MacBook Air and was looking at the return Policy from Apple. I noticed something interesting. It reads:

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store between October 30, 2010 and December 25, 2010, may be returned through January 8, 2011. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased, including the assessment of a 10% restocking fee on any open box item. All purchases made after December 25, 2010 are subject to the standard Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy, which requires returns to be made within 14 calendar days of the date of receipt.

With this in mind, is this something Apple does every yea?, i'm assuming to spur christmas orders in advance and allow returns that were given for gifts?

I was surprised, I find this pretty nice of Apple to do. I'm going to order the MBA as this makes my buying decision much easier.. It gives me allot more extra time to decide if I really like it or not.. :)

See link: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21

2. bamf macrumors 6502

So they will let you "rent" the MBA for 2 months now over the holidays. Seems like once the machine hits the registration servers they may somehow enforce a 14 day return policy. I'd ask someone at Apple to clarify the policy for you just to make sure because while I understand what they are saying - that makes no sense... ;)

3. mm1250 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the same also. But if you read the return policies it's pretty cut and dry. Doesn't mention any restrictions besides Customized engravings. If there were exclusions such as what you stated, i'm sure it would have been listed on the terms.

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

That's a standard policy that most retailers use for the holiday buying period. Best Buy has also extended it's 14 day computer return period until Jan/2011. Also, a buyer has every right to test and set up a computer in advance of Christmas.

5. ghostwriter macrumors regular

ghostwriter

Is this policy restricted to Online orders only?

6. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I presume this is so you can buy someone a macbook/ipad, etc for mythmas, and they can still take advantage of the 14 day return if they don;t want it.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Here is my situation.

I went to a retail Apple Store and purchased a MBA on October 29th at 5 p.m. If I had known the policy was the 30th, I would have waited less than a day. As it turns out, I have had a family emergency arise today and could sorely use the ability to return.

I have had little experience in stores. Do you think there is anyway they might consider an exception if I explain my situation, given that I was less than 24 hours outside of their policy? Thanks for any insight.

8. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Can't hurt anything trying.

9. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I just purchased one last week, and it only had a 14 day return policy, so I am guessing this return is based on online purchases only?

I also noticed subtle differences in the wording. For the 14 day policy it states "..simply return it with the original receipt (or gift receipt) and original packaging within 14 days of the date you receive the product."

While the Holiday return policy states "If the item is returned in the original box, with the original packaging, we will exchange it or offer you an Apple Gift Card. Refunds will be granted through January 9, 2012 only when an original purchase receipt is provided and will be based solely on the original method of payment."

I am wondering if by "In the original box" they mean unopened? My purchase has a date on the receipt of November 18th as the return date. I purchased it on November 4.