Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
If I order an iPhone, open it up, but decide I'm unhappy with it, is it easy to return to Apple, or is there a fee as soon as it's been opened? How long do I have to return it? Can the phone be used first (put my account on it, try it out, etc).

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If I order an iPhone, open it up, but decide I'm unhappy with it, is it easy to return to Apple, or is there a fee as soon as it's been opened? How long do I have to return it? Can the phone be used first (put my account on it, try it out, etc).
It's easy to return, even opened items. You have 14 days to try it out and return it if you aren't happy with it. At least in US. Some countries don't even have a return policy.

There is no restock fee when you return an item to apple *at least in the US. Different country may have a restock fee.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
And if you buy online, you always get a few more days, since you either have to take it to a UPS office or arrange a pick-up
Correct. You actually get 28 days. It will show 14 days from the deliver date and on day 14, if you initiate the return you do get additional 14 day to send it back

Reactions: lleial

Londonapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2022
Hi guys, my iPhone has a hardware issue and they’ve agreed I can have a replacement. I’m currently on holiday so it’s being arranged next week, it’s had a drop and marked the edges! Typical. Will they reject it do you think? Can’t imagine they will given it’s a hardware issue. Just not sure if they inspect it before sending a new one. Cheers

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Hi guys, my iPhone has a hardware issue and they’ve agreed I can have a replacement. I’m currently on holiday so it’s being arranged next week, it’s had a drop and marked the edges! Typical. Will they reject it do you think? Can’t imagine they will given it’s a hardware issue. Just not sure if they inspect it before sending a new one. Cheers
Much depends on how bad it looks. They could claim it was damaged due to the “drop”.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The carriers in the US have restocking fees--or they did last time I checked. That's another reason I always buy direct from Apple. Easy returns with no questions asked.
I know AT&T waives the fee as long as you don't open the iPhone box. I think it's actually anything Apple as long as you don't open the product box.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Question for all of you on this- is there a limit to the loose return policy that Apple has?
I have made two returns as I have been trying to find the right phone for me over the last month, and it's possible I might need to make one more return as I want to stick with the one I have now, but am thinking I might want to move up a level storage-wise on that model (still within my 14 day return window).

I feel so guilty doing this, if I do really end up making my 3rd return within a month- but in reality is that a big deal at all?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Question for all of you on this- is there a limit to the loose return policy that Apple has?
I have made two returns as I have been trying to find the right phone for me over the last month, and it's possible I might need to make one more return as I want to stick with the one I have now, but am thinking I might want to move up a level storage-wise on that model (still within my 14 day return window).

I feel so guilty doing this, if I do really end up making my 3rd return within a month- but in reality is that a big deal at all?

They likely won’t care, especially if you are returning it to immediately buy another iPhone and one that costs more. Just be polite, friendly and I’ve found that gets you far in Apple stores.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
They likely won’t care, especially if you are returning it to immediately buy another iPhone and one that costs more. Just be polite, friendly and I’ve found that gets you far in Apple stores.

Thanks! Yeah, on the 2nd return I made here about a week ago, they didn't seem to care at all- the staff in the store just seemed to operate as if it was straight forward business, no concern as to why I am returning the phone. Maybe it helped that I was also picking up a new one at the same time in that instance. :)

As noted, yes I will be doing that as well this time if I do make that move, placing an order for the same phone (for in-store pickup) with higher level storage and returning the one I have, so again I suppose it will be apparent to them what's going on and they are ultimately getting more money out of me than what they got previously with the phone I'm returning.

And absolutely, polite and friendly is the name of the game in any retail situation- the staff doing this work deserve it, especially since the ones in the Apple store near me are all so friendly, too!

Reactions: RRC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.