Apple's Revamped Company Store to Feature Full Product Lineup Alongside Corporate Gear

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, Apple announced that the grand reopening of the Company Store at its One Infinite Loop headquarters in Cupertino, California is set to take place tomorrow, September 19. The store won't just sell Company Store products of Apple-branded t-shirts, mugs, and accessories, however, but be a hybrid location that also acts as a traditional Apple Store that offers visitors the opportunity to purchase iPhones, iPads, Macs and Apple Watches (via MacMagazine) [Google Translate].

[​IMG]

One of the only features not making a debut at the hybrid store is the Apple Genius Bar. The actual design is worth noting as well, with new walls and store features made of concrete and glass and a large central screen displaying the newest products and advertisements. The first mockup image of the store, and information gained from MacMagazine, points to the new location bearing an overall similarity in design to the Apple Store in Brussels, Belgium that will open on September 19, as well.

Article Link: Apple's Revamped Company Store to Feature Full Product Lineup Alongside Corporate Gear

2. jdillings macrumors 68000

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Makes sense. It was actually weird that they didn't sell Apple products there before. This is how it should be.

4. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

The new Brussells store is one of the nicest stories of any kind I've ever seen. Jony Ive and Angela Ahrendts are doing an amazing job. I love that everything has a section now and is simplified and beautiful, and the big screens are amazing, plus trees and table seats in Brussels are excellent, and the ceiling lighting is lovely too.

5. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Nice! I work about 15 minutes from there. I'll pop by after work and take a gander. Last time I was there I picked up a cool shirt.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ooh is this open to the public tomorrow or is it just for employees? I hope we get some photos on social media.

7. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Looks like the millions they're paying Ms. Ahrendts is paying off with this more than obvious idea.

8. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

I'll probably be there unless it's employees only.

9. DylJur macrumors newbie

DylJur

I could be wrong. But I'm like 99% sure that they did in fact sell Apple products at this location before now. I was with an apple employee and they we able to buy an iPad with their discount at the company store while I bought a hoodie. They also sold accessories and macs and all sorts of things.

10. ryansimmons323 macrumors regular

The intention here is probably for it to evolve into just a plain Apple Retail Store once the new campus opens, because obviously then that will be the place for your Apple t-shirts and stationary.

11. Tapdawg macrumors regular

They are doing the employee opening today and tomorrow it opens to the public, I'll be there!

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

13. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

There may be a psychological reason for this (November 2014)...
    Customer: "I'd like an iMac 5K Retina"
    Store Employee: "Well, we don't have any in stock. If you order online, you can pick one up in 4 weeks"
    (Apple Employee that works on the iMac walks by with an iMac 5K Retina computer in the box, excitedly showing the computer to other Apple employees nearby.)
    Customer: "..."

I know the above is a bit contrived, but in April, when the :apple:Watch came out, imagine the Watch team walking around with them as people couldn't get them in the stores.

It's not a happy feeling.

14. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I doubt the company store is anywhere near where the watch team hangs out. Or any high level employees for that matter. I'm sure they all already have plenty of overpriced Apple mugs and tshirts.

15. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Yes. IIRC you could buy hardware at the Company Store, but the selection was very limited. I seem to remember it being the only place an employee could physically purchase a CPU with their full employee discount, otherwise you had to order from the online employee store.

16. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

So, is the Co store going to open at its regularly scheduled hours tomorrow or is there special time because of the reopening?

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ha, Tim Cook is doing selfies with Apple employees at the new Store.

18. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I thought you were talking about Apple Products, like the Watch. If in your first post, you were speaking of mugs, then I'm with you, but the gist of the story was that now the Apple Store at Infinite Loop will now carry products you can get at the traditional Apple stores.

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I think you're confused. I wasn't talking about mugs in the first post. I was making a point that high level employees don't hang around the company Apple Store. They wouldn't have much reason to. The store is there for people visiting the company headquarters.

20. acslater017 macrumors 6502a

They did sell most Apple products, I think just no iPhones (?).

21. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Well, since we seem to be talking past each other, I'll just say this:

At the Microsoft Store, here in the Pacific Northwest, there is also the Microsoft employee store, where people can shop for pretty much everything but Microsoft Software (that happens behind a security guard and a key entry system). A person can see what's back there, and since everyone knows someone up here that works for Microsoft, there is usually someone buying an XBOX shirt, or a Microsoft Press book in the main part of the store, while their employee friend is buying something in the employee area. That's how I originally got Windows Small Business Server 2003, as my brother in law worked there. (I know that was the old store, and the new one is there since 2007/8.) However, the point of this story is that the Microsoft Store is in a Microsoft building, on a Microsoft Campus. There are plenty of Microsoft people walking around, and they do keep things hush-hush in the hallways, but occasionally, you can hear about some project that is being worked on, and if you know the code words they use for projects, you can get some interesting information.

A couple of years ago, then the word, "Threshold" came up, it could have been an allusion to Windows 10, but it wasn't high level employees speaking of it. It was the engineers in the hallways.

Here's the carry over to Apple. Infinite Loop is all Apple. If there's a store in there where people can get the latest Apple products, there is the risk of the conversation being overheard by someone, and, in general, people don't talk about projects they don't have any involvement in, like the manufacture of the latest coffee cup or socks for the iPhone. However, when someone on the "Designed in California" team picks up their iMac, people tend to brag. The guy that lost the iPhone 4 at the bar, and the Apple people desperately wanted to get it back? I have a feeling the urgency is less at the Apple campus. Furthermore, people don't line up at the Apple Store in Palo Alto to get the Apple mug, simply because they don't have them there.

I guess I'm just saying that my experience at the Microsoft campus and where it is (you do drive through a bunch of Microsoft buildings to get to it) leads me to this paranoia for Apple and their need for secrecy (you can clean off the drink you laughed all over your keyboard now...).