Apple's Second Retail Store in Bangkok Opening on July 25

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has wrapped up construction on its second retail store located in Bangkok, Thailand, and is set to open the location to the public on Saturday, July 25.

Apple hasn't added the new store to its list of stores in Thailand, but details on the opening date were shared on Twitter and sent to MacRumors by reader Kangg.

The new store is in front of the Central World mall and it joins Apple's existing store in Thailand, Apple Iconsiam, which opened in November 2018.

During construction, a temporary wall has kept the new retail store hidden from view, and while it continues to be shrouded in a temporary black covering, the cylindrical glass design and flat, circular roof are visible.

Leaked architectural plans have suggested the store will feature wood product tables arranged in a ring shape around the store's floor, with shelves for displaying products along the walls. The center of the store features a winding staircase up to the second floor, where there's a forum area with a large video screen and tables for Today at Apple sessions.

Apple will likely share a detailed look at the new store when it opens up to the public later this week.

Article Link: Apple's Second Retail Store in Bangkok Opening on July 25

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Amazing city, just off my favourite street, Sukhumvit... used to have an apartment a few blocks South... Soi 2.
I was off Soi 22 for a year. I haven't been back for the best part of a decade but Sukhumvit had already changed enormously back then. Many of the small businesses gone and replaced by concrete shopping malls. For better or worse, the Apple store will make a good fit.

Reactions: randomgeeza

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
It's great that they're still using the Jobs era glass staircases in new store designs. I was a little disappointed that they moved away from using glass for some new stores in recent years.

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Actually, the actual name of the road is Rama I, the Sukhumvit road end around Ploen chit area and Rama I road start from there and end around Rama 6 Road intersection.

I am so glad that this store is opened. I have to travel to Icon Siam to get my MacBook Pro fixed and it take around 2 hours to travel. From this store, I just took 4 stations of BTS!
- - Post merged: - -

Bangkok? No thanks! :-o
But Bangkok is saved from Co-Vid 19 for a month now....

JustAnExpat

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2019
How does this “opening” you speak of work?
Malls have been reopen for some time, and Thailand is on day number 50-something of no domestic COVID-19 cases (source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391000)

I was off Soi 22 for a year. I haven't been back for the best part of a decade but Sukhumvit had already changed enormously back then. Many of the small businesses gone and replaced by concrete shopping malls. For better or worse, the Apple store will make a good fit.
Central World is far from Soi 22. Are you sure you aren't thinking abut Terminal 21?

But Bangkok is saved from Co-Vid 19 for a month now....
For about 50+ days now

agadosz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
While definitely a gorgeous building in itself, its placement is sad – takes up one of the very few open areas in one of the busiest spots of the city. Bangkok doesn't need more space taken by retail / glass. I'd expect something a bit greener from Apple.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Yeah, I lived there 2010-2011...

SK-

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
This store will not open on July 25th as Kangg and all leaker said.

Last edited:

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
Are the renderings made with freaking SketchUp?! Pretty low tech software for Apple. Wonder if this was an earlier mockup during schematic design.

Ncrit

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
As a resident of Bangkok I pass the area nearly every day. Firstly it’s not taken any public space as they built the lower level through the car park and it’s at the corner of central world shopping mall. The area outside the mall has always been empty and is usually hired for events or food festivals etc. It’s connected to the BTS sky train so much easier than going to Icon Siam. The structure is not big but I believe it’s bigger on the lower level due to the year they gutted the car park out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.