All iPads Apple's secret plan for world domination

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KenAFSPC, Jun 23, 2013.

1. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The iPad Duo
    12.1" or 13.3" Retina display
    Functions as an iPad with IOS UI when keyboard detached (10hr battery life)
    Functions as a MacBook with OSX UI when keyboard attached (20hr battery life)
    Runs all existing iOS and OSX applications
    1.4 lbs (keyboard detached) - same as iPad
    2.4 lbs (keyboard attached) - same as MacBook Air
    IOS X

Who wants one?

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Not a terrible concept actually. But I don't think it will happen.

3. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

If only Apple hardware was controlled by Lenovo...

4. ihakim macrumors member

I really don't understand your battery life there bud. Did you switch them around by mistake?

5. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure even Apple hasn't made magical battery tech that would allow an iPad to run 20 hours on OS X.

6. KenAFSPC, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

KenAFSPC thread starter macrumors 6502a

The keyboard + display combo (Macbook) would leverage two batteries. The display itself (iPad) would use only one.

As an alternative, Apple could offer an ultra-slim keyboard cover without a battery, much like the MS Surface keyboard. As before, you would get IOS mode without the keyboard cover and OSX mode with the keyboard cover.

7. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

The keyboard would contain an equal sized battery as the 'screen'/iPad

8. KenAFSPC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is IDC's forecast for tablet vs. PC sales (tablet = green).

[​IMG]

9. Internaut macrumors 6502a

This is where Microsoft is both ideally placed, and missing a trick. With something like the surface pro, you should be able to use the tablet as:

- A pure tablet
    - A pure tablet + keyboard
    - A large, touch input device/digitising tablet, when connected to a proper monitor and keyboard.

At the moment, the interfaces haven't really been thought out for the latter, where you may or may not be looking at the device while touching.

10. marc11 macrumors 68000

I just read about a tablet that does this. By Samsung I think. It runs android when in tablet mode and also runs Windows 8 touch or with a snap on keyboard. You can even have notifications and apps from android on to your websites home screen. You just number between os as you need or desire. Very very slick.

11. Skika macrumors 68030

Let the tablet be a tablet.

Im not a fan of these hybrids.

12. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Terrible Concept. You know how Computers work? I played with Lego a lot in my youth and built nice starships... but those did not make their way to space for some reason.

13. KenAFSPC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I spent three years working on hardware design teams to create products forum members have in their homes, so yes.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I think a lot of people (non power user types) would get confused by the switch between modes. You're working on an email in tablet, it's gone when you snap on the keyboard.

If the product existed I'd rather it run a touch-optimized OS X. If I'm holding a Mac, I want a Mac, not an iPad

15. brendu macrumors 68020

Not a bad idea but I think apple is slowly going to make the iPad more feature rich and for many people it will become the only "computer" they need. Right no it's already possible for many people but I expect over the next five years we will see it become even more suitable. A slightly bigger screen would help but isn't really necessary.

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Battery in iPad + battery in keyboard = 20 hrs. I get 14 plus on my iPad 4. It would be OSX on ARM.

I think it's going to be a touch enabled version of Mac OS running on ARM or one of these fancy dancy power sipping x86 chips. I don't think it will swap between two OS'. that would be confusing. Keyboard will have extra battery only, no CPU.

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Keep talking, you've peaked our interest, we wanne hear more.....not the least of which is price.

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Interesting thought but unneeded. Apple's not so secret plan with the iPads they already have seems to be working just fine.

19. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

So Where does the 8GB of ram go, the 128GB of SSD, and Core i5/i7? If we are talking about Core i5s or i7s those generate heat, which means we would need fans.

Huh... If the "A7" or "A7X" is powerful enough (say a 1.5 GHz dual core) you could see that. But then what about RAM. It's an interesting concept but I can't see it happening without some major innovation.

20. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

OP gets points for originality. I think the detachable conventional keyboard will not be a viable hybrid scheme overtime, although it alot of windows oems seemed determined to make it work. It is possible--however--that touch laptops will take off while detachables languish. I like the sony slider paradigm. Tim Cook notwishtanding, I'd bet apple is doing some hybrid style r&d, but a detachable laptop base is very "un-apple"

21. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I'm not sure he does.
    Just look at his post. Jesus!:rolleyes:

----------

If this is true, i'm sorry to say you've wasted 3 years of your life.

22. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Not he wasted three years - the company did. Not to mention the money wasted by forum members who bought his stuff ;-) jk

No - really this idea is like a mac pro - macbook air hybrid. There is no need for it.
    If you once had a MBA 11" and an 9,7" iPad you want to use both. Sometimes even together. How does your Hybrid solve this problem?

23. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Ipad indeeds has a terrific battery. I dont know why they dont have the same battery life on Iphone let alone the fact that they put in so little 1400 mah on a retina device.

Many laptop should be envy of the Ipad battery but ios 7 may take that away if it actually let app runs in the background.

24. KenAFSPC, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

KenAFSPC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple still has 10-15 percent market share for PCs. This would potentially give them 50-80 percent PC market share.

Exactly. It would be a single, touch-capable operating system (hence "IOS X") with two different modes, so there are no compromises as in Windows 8. Switching would be seamless; taking the previous posters example, you could begin an email in keyboard (OSX/desktop mode) and continue editing in non-keyboard (iOS/tablet) mode. Touch capability would function in both modes. Keep in mind that OSX and IOS are likely to become more similar in the coming years.

The keyboard with touchpad and battery would be completely optional, albeit desirable for serious work where a keyboard, I/O ports, and/or additional computing power are necessary. You might get four cores running at 1.2-1.6GHz without the keyboard and the same four cores at 2.4-3.2GHz with the keyboard (with battery). Alternatively, you could use OSX/desktop mode with a slim keyboard cover (no built-in battery) at the expense of I/O ports, reduced computing power, and reduced battery life.

The proposed product would feature an Apple A10 or a SoC based on the successor to Intel's Silvermont architecture, depending on the concessions Apple can extract from Intel. Both would likely be based on some variant of Intel's P1273 process. This process should give us mobile SoCs with comparable performance to current desktop processors.

The space required by RAM is negligible. The SSD module within the MacBook Air is already fairly small. In the near future, SSD manufacturers will begin using NAND fabricated on the 14/16nm process. This will enable even smaller 128-256GB SSDs. Within a few years, such SSDs will fit into an area not much larger than the size of your thumbnail.

25. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Not me, horrible idea. I like having multiple devices. iOS should stay iOS and osx should stay osx. This is the mistake MS made with the surface.