iPad mini Apple's secret with iPad mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shadowyman, Nov 12, 2013.

1. shadowyman macrumors member

shadowyman

Hello all...

Bear with me, I want to share something that just occurred to me. I don't know if y'all agree with me but I feel like there is another side to the story of Apple releasing iPad mini earlier. We all know Apple was delaying iPad rMini because of display production problems. The original date was announced later November but surprising they suddenly released it yesterday.

So I was thinking, seeing all people with new mini's complaining about the display being too dull, washed out, could it be possible Apple has decided to release the early batch that was originally not gonna be released? There were news about Sharp apparently having problems with producing "high quality displays that match Apple's standards". What if Apple, on a second thought, decided to release those minis, instead of waiting until late November? At the end, they could've still sold those not-so-terrible but sub-standard minis and still can make money, and if the customers complained, they could always have returned them for probably the better batch.

Do you think they played this gamble? This might also explain why cellular versions are still about to be shipped "later November".

2. syd430, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013

syd430 Guest

No. There isn't going to be two versions with dramatically different screens marketed as the same product. Lawsuits would ensue.

Edit: to be clear I'm talking about dramatic spec variations (colour gamut, contrast ratio, viewing angles etc) not screen tint/evenness variations.

3. Kaizen macrumors member

Don't forget that the first mini also had a very low gamut, washed-out looking display. Maybe this is just a characteristic of the mini, by design or by technical limitation.

4. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I think Apple was involved in the JFK assassination. What about y'all?

5. shadowyman thread starter macrumors member

shadowyman

I wish we could see 1st gen mini next to new mini to compare the screens.

6. rkingucla macrumors newbie

Most ridiculous theory ever. Trying to sell a defective product will hurt them way more in the long run than just delaying the release, or, with your theory, taking a loss on a defective iPad batch.

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

What a ridiculous post.

8. Macalway macrumors 68000

Great!

It gets a little tired, all those OCD rants. it's refreshing to see some good old paranoia

Keep it up :)

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Think Global, my friend.

Third world countries are getting their mini retina at 5-7 business days. How weird is that. Aftersale service in US is way different than those other countries. Some just learn to live with defect product because it can't be return or swap to new device. This happened since Ipad mini and iphone 5.

10. THFourteen macrumors 6502

I think the taliban are involved.

Someone get Jack Bauer

11. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

And to think I beared with you the whole time.

12. JoeShades, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I have both right now, The difference in screens is noticeable. In my opinion there is not a damn thing wrong with the retina mini's screen. you can notice a bit of a weight difference but it not that big of a deal but guarantee there will be 10 threads on the weight any day now. One good thing is that it seems to charge faster

13. TheSwede macrumors regular

:D there was a reported sighting of an apple-like shadow at the grassy knoll.

14. Sputnek macrumors regular

+1

I also heard they got their first gen tech from Roswell, and then improved on it.

15. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

yeah but if you look at the shadow on an ipad mini retina it looks washed out

16. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Do a google search for Apple Display Lottery. N'uff said.

17. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have them both and they are both exactly the same - a bit washed out beside my Air. And the original Mini was washed about beside my iPad 4.

It's a pity.

18. syd430 Guest

LOL. Look at my post history (when search is back up), I talk about the display lottery a lot here. I've even started threads using that exact term.

I think you misunderstood my post. The OP is talking about two panels with dramatically different specs (contrast ratio, colour gamut etc) not variations in tint and evenness which is what the panel lottery refers too.

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

When gamut-gate dies down then weight-gate or thickness-gate will start. :D

20. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

They never said it would be launched in "late November." They said it would be launched "later in November." Those are totally different things.

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I have both now. Color Gamut wasnt as big of a problem from what I can tell.

----------

Maybe its the screen size thats throwing everyone off.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This is "later in November" compared to Nov 1.