• Laptop Updates

Votes: 229 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is hosting a media event on Tuesday, September 12th 2006 in San Francisco, CA at 10AM Pacific. The event will also be simulcast to a location in London where journalists have also been invited.

The invitation to the media was entitled It's Showtime -- suggesting Movie-related announcements. Rumors sites had originally expected iMac updates during the event, but Apple surprised everyone with iMac and Mac mini updates last week.

This leaves iPods, a Movie Store and the possibility of a new streaming Media device for the Tuesday event.

As usual, a number of anonymous images have been circulating claiming to represent upcoming products, but these are all considered to be fake. Other circumstantial evidence has been reported, but no definitive information on the event.

As always, MacRumors will provide continuing coverage, however, access to these events have become more restricted, so please contact us if you are attending.

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
If the rumors of near $15 downloads are true - are you really interested? That's way too much for me to have interest in it.

But then again, I think $0.99 per track isn't as attractive as subscription based services too.. :)

Now a streaming Media Device I'm excited about.

New [Video] iPod I'm excited about as well.

Randy at http://www.MacSeven.com

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
$3-4.99 rentals of brand new movies would be awesome. Otherwise, "meh"

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I'm hoping for a streaming device with a remote that allows me access to media on my mac from my TV. Of course Apple will overly simplify it and limits it's capabilities, but well love it anyways.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
kainjow said:
$3-4.99 rentals of brand new movies would be awesome. Otherwise, "meh"
I can't get to excited about this, it will take me 10 hours to download 2GB :eek:

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
rtharper said:
It also leaves the MBP. If it is not updated, I will likely be driven into a mad frenzy where I buy some other brand of laptop. Honestly, the things Apple is forcing me to do...
I don't see that happening this week, as much as I want a merom MBP. This Sept. 12th event is geared soley towards ipods, nanos, and especially the movie store. I'm betting nothing will be said or released concerning MBP's or MB's. I hope to god I am proven wrong though. Ultimately, as poppe has suggested on other threads, Photokina on the 26th will be the place where MBP updates will happen, as that is more of a pro event. If they don't happen by then, that's when I will beging looking at yonah MBP's.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Bibulous said:
I can't get to excited about this, it will take me 10 hours to download 2GB :eek:
10 hours? Luxury. I dream of being able to download 2GB in 10 hours.

It'll take me over 4 days.

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Here's to new living room hardware... and I'm actually in the market. Fingers crossed.

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
HecubusPro said:
If they don't happen by then, that's when I will beging looking at yonah MBP's.
I won't buy a Yonah MBP. I would rather have a more future proof computer of a different brand. I use *nix for almost all of my work, I'll just try and buy an open source friendly machine and put windows on a partition just to run WoW and have the other run FreeBSD.

That, of course, is not my first choice, but I won't wait past the shipping dates of other manufacturers (i.e. the 26th is my limit, too).

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Chundles said:
10 hours? Luxury. I dream of being able to download 2GB in 10 hours.

It'll take me over 4 days.
Wow! What kind of slow-ass lines do you people in Australia have to suffer with?

Thats ridiculously slow. :(

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
WildPalms said:
Wow! What kind of slow-ass lines do you people in Australia have to suffer with?

Dial-up. I can't get any form of high-speed internet because my building is so old the phone lines are dodgy, I'm renting so any sort of drilling to get cable is out and wireless broadband is either not here or too expensive.

And I'm in the 10th largest city in the country. My parents, who live in a little country town a long way from anywhere get quite decent broadband speeds. Go figure...:confused:

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
WildPalms said:

Mine connection would take around 14 hours, but we have adsl 2+ now which is up to 24mb/sec. Can't wait to upgrade :cool:

This movie store is all exciting and all, but with out world stores, it will be the US who will be enjoying it :(

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
DeSnousa said:
Mine connection would take around 14 hours, but we have adsl 2+ now which is up to 24mb/sec. Can't wait to upgrade :cool:

This movie store is all exciting and all, but with out world stores, it will be the US who will be enjoying it :(
Yep, downloadable TV shows, movies for purchase or rent, iPhoto photobooks/prints/calendars/cards etc.

Who gives a rat's? Not me because we can't use any of them.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Monday is going to go by soooooooooooo slow in anticipation for Tuesday.

maybe i'll just sleep until tuesday morning :rolleyes:

Bring on the Widescreen iPod, and a Home Media Device, hopefully something that my new Samsung HDTV in my room can take advantage of!

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Bradley W said:
I am hopeful that we will see a new video iPod alongside a movie store debut.
My hopes exactly. It's definitely going to be the addition of movies to iTMS. New iPods? They're due aren't they? Might as well roll them out, I wouldnt put it past SJ...