Apple's servers holding up well so far

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by tmanto02, Sep 18, 2013.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I am just updating my girlfriends iPad to iOS 7 and I am surprised how fast it is downloading, it says only 14 mins! I remember when mountain lion was released Apples servers were severely strained and extremely slow, however iOS 7 is downloading at my maximum bandwidth!

Good job Apple :D

2. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Lucky you. I've been stuck trying to contact the servers for the last 45 minutes. Pretty close to giving up and trying again tomorrow.

3. paradox11 macrumors member

You say that now...around noon central time until about 6 it was undownloadable. But, it's working better than the iOS 5 launch. I couldn't update for a day or too.

4. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

I don't know what you are doing, but I can't get anything to download. Both my iPhone and iPad do not have enough free space to download over the air, so I have to download on my Mac.

First I could not get iTunes to download. Had to go apple.com and just download from there. Now I can't get iOS to download. It won't even go past "Contacting the iPad software update server. I have let it sit until it times out, restarted and had no luck.

Very frustrating.

5. ender78 macrumors 6502

My download took around 90 minutes for the iPhone 4, that is bout 10x longer than it should. The servers barely handing on in my opinion. That said, there are likely millions if not tens of millions of phones updated tonight.

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Oh really? That sucks. I am in Australia, I'm not sure if that makes any difference, perhaps we access difference servers here

7. finnns2000 macrumors regular

You're joking? No one can download iOS 7 and Apple issued an internal alert because of the awful performance.

8. ender78 macrumors 6502

Everyone is at work :) I do expect that there are separate servers throughout the world.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The "no one can download" part is not true.

10. iPhilPHX macrumors regular

iPhilPHX

I waited until about 5 pm MST then decided, fingers crossed, to do the download. 20 minutes from start to finish. Not bad considering reading others' lengthy wait times.

11. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Can you please provide your source for the "internal alert"? I can't anything about it on google.

12. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

It was weird...when I was downloading iOS 7 earlier this morning (10:30 am PST), I was able to download at max bandwidth as well. Only took 14 min to download, install took about 45 min though.

13. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

I finally got the iPad update to start downloading. 30 minutes remaining and climbing every few seconds....

14. masands macrumors regular

I updated but I can't sign into iCloud. Says that "unable to contact server".

Asia is waking up and trying to update to iOS 7 about now.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The App Store's been broken all day for me (blank pages, timeout messages, and supposedly no updates available despite a big red "3" on the app) so there are definitely still server issues. It's definitely server-side because I'm still on iOS 6!

16. finnns2000 macrumors regular

Third story on apple insider.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm just providing a direct link because it won't be the third story forever :)

18. finnns2000 macrumors regular

Boom, thanks. FWIW, my iTunes is downloading iOS 7 with a wait estimate of 36 hours. It's been 25 minutes already.

19. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Thanks mate :)

20. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

It's 2013......how are they not able to anticipate load and demand?

21. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I've been updating my Mom's iPhone 4 for 45 minutes. The highest "time remaining" was only 16 minutes.

22. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

23. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Just got it to download, installing now. Fingers crossed the iPad upgrade goes smoother. And yea, I'd bet you're hitting a different server farm than those of us on the east coast.

24. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Um because there are millions of people trying to update at once. Im sure they anticipated this demand, just as I expected it to be slow. But I was pleasantly surprised :)

25. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Apple servers holding up well so far? Christ almighty, it took me 4hrs just to get my damn phone activated when setting it up as NEW.

Obviously, the original poster was one of the lucky ones or completely oblivious to whats been going on with the sh!!T storm of problems that have been all of the NET today with people getting locked out of their iPhones----------->/*