Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's services category continues to see rapid growth, further cementing its position as an important revenue driver for Apple.

During the third fiscal quarter of 2018, Apple's services revenue brought in $9.55 billion in revenue, up 31 percent from the $7.27 billion in revenue services earned in the third quarter of 2017.

The services category includes iTunes, the App Store, the Mac App Store, Apple Music, iCloud, Apple Pay, and AppleCare.

appleservices-800x228.jpg

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Apple "feels great" about the momentum in its services business, and the company saw double digit growth in its active services installed base. This quarter's growth was driven by strong performance in a number of area.

Subscriptions from Apple and third parties have surpassed $300 million, an increase of 60 percent year over year. Cook called the revenue from subscriptions "significant" and an "increasing portion of services."

There are now nearly 30,000 apps that offer subscriptions, a number that continues to see strong growth.

Cook said that App Store revenue, which set a new June quarter revenue, had exceeded Apple's "wildest expectations." Customers around the world are visiting the App Store more often and downloading more apps than ever before. Citing third-party research, Cook said pointed out that the iOS App Store saw twice the revenue of Google Play.

Apple has seen rapid growth in revenue from App Store search ads, with a recent update expanding search ads to Japan, South Korea, France, Germany.

Apple Music grew by more than 50 percent year-over-year (with Cook again reiterating the 50M subscriber number from May), and AppleCare grew at its highest rate in 18 quarters. Apple's cloud services revenue was up 50 percent year over year, and communications services, including FaceTime and Messages, are hitting all time usage highs. Siri requests have exceeded 100 billion, and articles read on Apple News have doubled year over year.

Apple in 2017 set itself a goal to double its services revenue to $14 billion per quarter by 2020, and the company is well on its way to reaching that goal.

Earlier this year, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty predicted that over the course of the next five years, services revenue growth will contribute more than 50 percent of Apple's total revenue growth.

Huberty estimated that services revenue is at $30 per device, with just 18 percent of Apple's total device install base subscribing to paid services, leaving plenty of room for growth in the coming years.

Apple is working on bolstering its services category, with rumors suggesting that a new TV streaming service for its original TV shows is in the works, along with a magazine subscription service based on its April Texture acquisition.

In response to a question about Apple's future services plans, Cook said that Apple is "thrilled" with its upcoming product pipeline and the new services that are included with it, hinting at that rumored TV service. Cook explained that Apple has hired two TV executives (Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg) to work on a project that Apple is not ready to discuss. Cook said that Apple is expecting dramatic changes to the content industry and is happy to have something in the works.

"We're not really ready to share all the details of it yet, but I couldn't be more excited about what's going on there. We've got great talent in that area that we've sourced from different places and feel really good about what we will eventually offer."

Article Link: Apple's Services Revenue Up 31% Year-Over-Year in 3Q 2018, Company is 'Thrilled' About Upcoming Services Pipeline

Reactions: Ghost31

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Stinginess of free tier aside, 200 GB and 2 TB iCloud paid storage tiers are fantastic, excellent pricing and Family Sharing capable.

When and if Apple enhances iCloud Drive with shared folders, Shared Photo Library, versioning, offline, etc., it will be one heck of a package.
Yes, we all need more paid drive space to store our precious digital detritus:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-09-02

B60boy

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2014
There's already selective sync and folder sharing on iCloud.
Not that I can control. Example, I want to tell iCloud only to sync certain folders locally and certain folders to iCloud. Today, we cant to that. I can do that in Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. I don't want Apple doing that for me with some algorithm that they use. If they gave me the control to sync what I want locally vs iCloud, they would get everything that I have.

Reactions: MobyDills

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
50Gb is storage is only 99¢ but I guess that’s almost the definition of nickle and diming.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Most of that is good but I'm not sure how I feel about "we're making more extended warranty money than ever before". o_O

Reactions: navaira

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
We watched Apple start to neglect the Mac when the laptops took off; it became epidemic when the iOS devices came along. So can we expect Apple to then neglect the iDevices now that they're converting into a services company?

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
Not to be an ass, but... even as several pundits have called on Apple to reduce the cost of its iCloud services, I figured "No way. This is a segment they want to derive more revenue from." If they ever drop the prices on anything in this segment, it'll be in a way that their margins still increase over time.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Yes after spending $1k on a new phone, it's good to know the company has my back to nickle and dime me for an extra 99 cents per month.

Yeah, after spending $1k on a phone, it is good to be concerned about an extra 99 cents per month. If Apple would just eliminate that obscene rip-off (where is the Consumer Protection Bureau anyway?), we would all save enough money to buy a new $1k phone every 84 years.

Come on, Apple!!!

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, after spending $1k on a phone, it is good to be concerned about an extra 99 cents per month. If Apple would just eliminate that obscene rip-off (where is the Consumer Protection Bureau anyway?), we would all save enough money to buy a new $1k phone every 84 years.

Come on, Apple!!!

It’s a sign of the times that I actually had to read your post several times before realising you were joking. I’ve seen worse, posted unironically.

Reactions: navaira

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Come on, Apple!!!

Some people see it out of principle compared to the competitors. Paying more for less is a great business model when as a consumer you are happy to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.