Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Agree, how many here have no PC or no Mac?

----------

wait, but the whole post pc concept isn't that mobile devices will supplant PCs, it's that we'll start using these mobile devices more and more, in many cases for things we traditionally used a PC for. and that's turning out to be true.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
wait, but the whole post pc concept isn't that mobile devices will supplant PCs, it's that we'll start using these mobile devices more and more, in many cases for things we traditionally used a PC for. and that's turning out to be true.

True, I guess it comes down to how much use is transferred to mobile devices. I'd say very little in the home where the PC lives. I gathered that post PC was when takers arrived and took off. A tablet is a PC, although not in the traditional use case, although no doubt some low/basic users would use a tablet instead. Game consoles reduce PC usage also.

What uses would you use a mobile device for at home instead of your PC? I can only think of email if the PC was off at the time, although my rMBP starts to Safari, internet on, in 12 seconds.

----------

This 93% is the TRUE measure of 'Market Share'. Number of units built and/or sold has little if any value. Profit is what business is truly all about. And for those that don't like it, they have the choice to buy the low-margin products. Everyone gets what they want or deserve.

I hear you, but the user of a mobile phone doesn't buy it, or prefer to buy it, based on a Profit and Loss Account from a corporate. Lets say a Galaxy S5 was superior to an iPhone 6. Or as good. Or not quite as good, but a little cheaper, making it a viable purchase. In my anecdotal example, these two phones are equal. Monthly sales may be equal. Profits are much different from Apple and Samsung mobile divisions.

A disclaimer is that the 93% is partly due to higher sales this quarter, due to a new release. Next quarter, iPhone sales will ease, but if the S6 comes out, that will have a sales spike. So, I don't buy into profits being market share, or quarter sales as above, we need to look at the year on year, when any new phones are included. The cost/profit issue is down to the company to resolve.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
True, I guess it comes down to how much use is transferred to mobile devices. I'd say very little in the home where the PC lives. I gathered that post PC was when takers arrived and took off. A tablet is a PC, although not in the traditional use case, although no doubt some low/basic users would use a tablet instead. Game consoles reduce PC usage also.

What uses would you use a mobile device for at home instead of your PC? I can only think of email if the PC was off at the time, although my rMBP starts to Safari, internet on, in 12 seconds.

----------

I hear you, but the user of a mobile phone doesn't buy it, or prefer to buy it, based on a Profit and Loss Account from a corporate. Lets say a Galaxy S5 was superior to an iPhone 6. Or as good. Or not quite as good, but a little cheaper, making it a viable purchase. In my anecdotal example, these two phones are equal. Monthly sales may be equal. Profits are much different from Apple and Samsung mobile divisions.

A disclaimer is that the 93% is partly due to higher sales this quarter, due to a new release. Next quarter, iPhone sales will ease, but if the S6 comes out, that will have a sales spike. So, I don't buy into profits being market share, or quarter sales as above, we need to look at the year on year, when any new phones are included. The cost/profit issue is down to the company to resolve.
excepting for this:"Apple captured 79% of mobile profits for the entirety of 2014, with a margin of 37% on operating income of $44.6 billion."

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
excepting for this:"Apple captured 79% of mobile profits for the entirety of 2014, with a margin of 37% on operating income of $44.6 billion."

Whats that got to do with his post? he was talking about the 93%. As I mentioned you need to factor on year on year, which is what the 79% relates to.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Can we drop this post PC nonsense?

Depends, does he mean that people will stop using PCs (false) or that PCs hardly generate any profit compared to phones (true)? We're at the point where nobody cares about updating their operating system enough to pay for it, and hardly anyone needs to buy a new PC every few years. Mac OS updates are free for a reason, and Apple can do that because they make money off of hardware and the halo effect. They still make way more profit off of iPhones by far.

Those computers in my signature have been there for a long time and will be there for a long time, no need to update. vvv

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Depends, does he mean that people will stop using PCs (false) or that PCs hardly generate any profit compared to phones (true)? We're at the point where nobody cares about updating their operating system enough to pay for it, and hardly anyone needs to buy a new PC every few years. Mac OS updates are free for a reason, and Apple can do that because they make money off of hardware and the halo effect. They still make way more profit off of iPhones by far.

Those computers in my signature have been there for a long time and will be there for a long time, no need to update. vvv

Except the PC industry has always been a low merging industry, and a lot profit one as well. It's what happens when a majority of computers sold has generally been to people who won't spend more than 500$ on it.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Except the PC industry has always been a low merging industry, and a lot profit one as well. It's what happens when a majority of computers sold has generally been to people who won't spend more than 500$ on it.

The thing is that companies used to focus on PCs anyway, and now there's a new market for smartphones that's a lot more profitable, so they'll focus on smartphones more. There were so many great features added to iOS before OS X.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The thing is that companies used to focus on PCs anyway, and now there's a new market for smartphones that's a lot more profitable, so they'll focus on smartphones more. There were so many great features added to iOS before OS X.

I could agree with that. But I see this as being a blip. When smartphones have completely baked, much like the PC is, we'll likely see a lot of innovation on the PC front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.