Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Do not worry, Tim!

The people are looking at the iPad 2 and the non-retina Mini. And then... they are looking at the not outdated stuff, the other companies are selling for the same price. And those, who are not already in the ecosystem and are not brain amputed, are making a decision.
BUT:

The profit margin is still insanely high. Nobody else offers that less for so much! And this is, what counts! Isn't it, Tim?

----------

I am afraid, this is caused by having to update all apps for a more flat icon.
:-D

Apple likes to point out that the usage statistics show their iPads get way more use than any other tablet, like 90% of the tablet web browsing is done with an iPad. So I think it's fair to ask whether the other tablets are selling, and if they are, how they are being used.

I myself only use a Kindle Paperwhite. I don't know if that counts as a tablet in those sales figures, but I only use it to read books, of course. I use my iPhone or computer for everything else. With a Kindle, iPhone, and rRBP, I can't justify to myself getting another device.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I think this is great news for apple. They are selling just as many as before, but now more people own tablets. When they get their next one, it just might happen to be an iPad. When sales are declining thats when you worry...

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I don't believe this report is true. As far as I'm concerned I see iPads in the wild all the time and they have about 85% marketshare. I have to question the validity of these claims. Also look at all the internet traffic surveys iPads usage is way higher than anything on the Android side. I think this is a global conspiracy to make Apple look like they are failing when in fact they are still the market leaders with the biggest marketshare.

No way does Android slabs of cheap plastic have more users than iPad.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
haha where do these people get these numbers.
Maybe from Apple's financial results, maybe by flipping a french press upside-down and applying their tasseography skills.

The only non-apple tablet I've ever seen in the wild is the occasional kindle. Maybe it's a radically different picture overseas, but the reasons the so-called research states regarding integration with phones, tv and so wouldn't be exclusive to areas outside the US.

1.4B Chinese nor 1.3B Indian people haven't even had access to an iPad until recently.

Last edited:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Why should I be patient? I use google maps on my iPhone and iPad every day

Why would people be patient and waiting for Apple Maps when we already have Google Maps on iPhone and iPad. :confused:

You make it sound like people are holding back on an Apple tablet or phone purchase until their maps rival Google's but we already have Google's on our platform so I don't see why anyone would be waiting?

Google Maps rocks and it's free! :cool:

1) Clearly neither of you were on this site then for the period when Google Maps was not available and Apple Maps was the only option....

2) I was quoting examples I have seen on the site, not making a statement.

jagsrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Personally, I don't doubt the sales (or shipped numbers) based on pricing alone. What I'd like to see is a number that represents daily usage (in hours) 6 months post purchase.

Most friends who have purchased other tablets either never use them or very rarely (such as on trips or for specific tasks) where friends with iPads use them as part of their daily life.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
That doesn't surprise me. In Germany, I never see iPads in the wild either.
I'm commuting by train and see other (varying) commuters using a tablet nearly every other day. Roughly 95% of them are iPad users - unlike eBook readers, where the Kindle is dominant, but a lot more variety exists.

Apparently, people only use tablets at home.
I wouldn't say "only", but the vast majority of tablet owners. Probably related to the predominant german technophobia (in public) and social envy.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Again...90 manufacturers vs 1. Apple still on top.

At one time Apple was the "#1 PC maker" (Apple ad in 1993).
Of course that ignored that 85% of PC's ran Windows 3.1

Today Apple is the #1 Tablet maker.
Ignoring that 65% of tablets run on Android.

The speed of the erosion as top seller, ~11% a year, is the worrisome part.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Apple knows they can not and will not compete for the scraps at the bottom of the computing device pile, so they can never maintain the most market share just by counting widgets. It will be interesting if the public ever understands that.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Kind of funny how everyone praised these reports a few years ago whenever Apple was on top by a huge margin. Now all the sudden everyone scrutinizes them by a great deal, calls foul and then falls back on "Well Apple pulls the lion share of the profits" while ignoring Samsung Electronics pulling nearly identical profits.

:)

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
I find this fascinating

I don't know ANYONE who owns an android-based tablet....phones, yes but tablets a big NO.The Samsung G4 phone is really, really good and a strong competitor to the iP5S but every android tablet I phoqued around with at Best Buy or Frys just seem like unfinished products and the OS can be uneven, for the sake of a better word.

So who is buying android tablets? what is the demographics? In what countries?

I'm being serious, not a troll. I'd like to know.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
If the return rate was excessively high stores would not store the product.

Don't worry, the iPad is doing very well. This is kind of a non story ( once again ).

One manufacturer against many. Of course Apple's marketshare is going to drop. Marketshare isn't everything. Ecosystem / developer interest is what counts. As long as Apple can sustain these two factors, Apple will be fine.

Don't try and make excuses such as "what about returns", "what about actual sales". Strawman arguments ultimately.

Ecosystem / developer interest is what you should look out for. Start worrying when Developer interest starts to fall. Less software means less customers.

I think there are several ways to look at a situation and as human beings we like to come to conclusions from what is presented to us vs asking for more data points. "What about returns?" is not an excuse but a question in that regard. "How about ecosystem/developer interest?" is another one, and not more or less important. More data points the better in terms of understanding different angles.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
That doesn't surprise me. In Germany, I never see iPads in the wild either. Apparently, people only use tablets at home. For work on the road, notebooks and smartphones are still the only relevant device categories.

Germans are probably more practical than many people around the world?

In the states, people are always fiddling with their iPads, doing I don't know what.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Again...90 manufacturers vs 1. Apple still on top.

Apple knows they can not and will not compete for the scraps at the bottom of the computing device pile, so they can never maintain the most market share just by counting widgets. It will be interesting if the public ever understands that.

It's not the race to the bottom, it's slowing the hemorrhaging.

Or its channeling as much of the trend as possible to iPad.

And to reiterate, Apple has never recovered from its position as the "top PC maker" and that still impacts its Mac business. While iOS is still in a very strong position, the downward slope is very slippery.

Again, it's not the loss, but the speed of the loss that is bad.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think there are several ways to look at a situation and as human beings we like to come to conclusions from what is presented to us vs asking for more data points. "What about returns?" is not an excuse but a question in that regard. "How about ecosystem/developer interest?" is another one, and not more or less important. More data points the better in terms of understanding different angles.

People on this forum say "what about returns?" as a defensive mechanism when statistics come up to suggest Apple products are being outsold by Android.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
People on this forum say "what about returns?" as a defensive mechanism when statistics come up to suggest Apple products are being outsold by Android.

But the data in the article says shipped not sold. Which includes free tablets given with the purchase of smartphones, or the ones that the manufacturers push to have in front of others in stores.

All I`m trying to say is, there is one set of data points here and it could mean so many different things.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
One OS vs. another OS. Android is on top and distancing itself from its competition.

android is not a product. it's a component shipped in products.

android does not generate significant revenue for google. iOS generates more ad revenue for google than android.

90 companies use android, 1 company uses iOS. iOS penetration is remarkable and mind-blowing.

----------

That doesn't surprise me. In Germany, I never see iPads in the wild either. Apparently, people only use tablets at home. For work on the road, notebooks and smartphones are still the only relevant device categories.

how odd -- i use my ipad for work on the road all the time. my work is comprised of email, web, spreadsheets, and remote connections. it works perfectly. my laptop died over a year ago and i havent replaced it.

can it be that this is not a relevant work device? what am i do wrong??

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

Touché. I'm actually excited. Competition is a good thing and hopefully it will help push Cook to take chances like Jobs did.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Touché. I'm actually excited. Competition is a good thing and hopefully it will help push Cook to take chances like Jobs did.

Totally agree.
Apple sees the challenge and made iOS7, great improvement, but needs a bit more work.

The devices IMHO are lagging compared to rest just a bit.
I think the ability to read/write USB flash drives is highly desirable from what a lot of people as me.

Apple really needs to up its game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.