Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I didn't say they don't sell them. Please re-read what I posted. The post I quoted was because the person misquoted and switched SALES for SHIPMENTS which are two entierly different metrics. Yes, they eventually (usually) sell them, and sometimes they write them off at a loss, like HP did for 99$ not so long ago... (hence shipments != sales)
It's mature platform. Watches coming soon.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I'd like to see whatever 'commission' on Wall Street require for investors end units 'sold' to customers vs 'shipped'...this shipped vs sold is just too deceiving.

They can still report 'shipped' all they want...but they must also report 'sold' to consumer also.

Shipped is such a deceiving metric...look no further then the HP Touchpad. 750K-Million shipped...20K sold before the firesale.

Yup, in the 1990's this was a common trick in the record industry to help new albums achieve gold or platinum status by release time.

Press and ship a million units and you're platinum. The publicity that comes with a platinum debut leads to more sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.