Apple's "ships by" date question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DirtySocks85, Jun 27, 2010.

1. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well, I didn't get my pre-order in for my iPhone 4 on the first day, but I did get one in on the 18th. By the 18th the "ships by" date was already listed as July 14th. I'm wondering if anyone has any stories of past, similar experiences with Apple from other launches (iPad, 3GS, 3G, etc) that would hint at when I might actually hope to get my iPhone.

I assume that it will actually ship by July 14, but what I really want to know is how much hope I have for it coming sooner than that.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

2. Sixpack446 macrumors member

Mine had ship by July 2nd and it actually shipped on the 24th. Delivery date is June 29th. You will probably get it earlier then your ship by date as well.

3. swllnvag macrumors member

Yeah I'm guessing we'll get it sooner than that date. I may be reading too much into it but it says "by the 14th."

I was going to hold out and get in line for launch day but stuff came up so I ordered it online on the 24th. Mine says the 14th just like yours.

4. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

@Sixpack - When/how were you notified that it would be coming sooner than expected? Did Apple update the status before it shipped or did you just get a shipping notification?

5. Sixpack446 macrumors member

I checked the order status on the apple website. It said prepared for shipment, and that was on June 23rd. The next day on the 24th I was emailed a tracking number and it was picked up by fedex that night. I wouldn't be surprised if your phone is shipped within the next few days. Good luck to you.

6. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Thanks, I guess I'll be checking my order status obsessivley until it ships. =)

7. Sixpack446 macrumors member

I'm obsessively tracking the fedex plane on flightaware.com. In a few more hours it's going to be in Memphis and hopefully in my hands tomorrow morning in NYC. Fedex says it will be delivered tomorrow. I sure hope so.

8. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

FedEx can do some amazing things when they want to. My MBP went from Shanghai to Kansas (where I live) in 2 days, showing up an entire day early.

9. psudude macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I have the "ships by July 14" status as well. I am hoping that it is shipped early. I'm guessing that the July 14 shipments are. The next "batch" to go?

10. the1nonlyku macrumors member

Im on the same boat as well.. I hate to be the party pooper but there are still people who have ship by July 2 and haven't had it shipped yet.

Im hopping that I am wrong and it ships early though! I am contemplating on whether I should go to the At&t store tomorrow and try my luck though. I can always cancel my preorder if it hasn't shipped yet.

11. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well I hate to be an even bigger party pooper, but I stopped into my AT&T store today to see if they had any in stock & they told me they did, but they would be on sale tomorrow morning. I then presented my situation (about my Apple preorder and whatnot) and they told me that as soon as you put in the preorder to Apple it puts an "upgrade pending" status with AT&T and they WILL NOT let you buy an iPhone 4. So yeah, there it is, I was going to do the same thing and they shot me down.

12. the1nonlyku macrumors member

Damn that sucks.. someone else told me an AT&T rep told them they could still buy one if it hasn't shipped yet. :/ Whatever guess I have to play the waiting game. Need to find something to keep me busy so I don't think about it lol

13. caige macrumors newbie

Ship By Jul 2

I have a ship by Jul 2 from Apple and my order status still indicates "not yet shipped", so anyone with a Jul 14 ship by date should not count on an early shipment.

14. timerollson macrumors 65816

In my personal experience, Apple usually ships earlier than their estimate. Good luck! I hope you get your iPhone sooner rather than later.

15. caige macrumors newbie

Ship By Dates

Has anyone with a ship by date of Jul 2 received a notice of shipment from Apple?

16. the1nonlyku macrumors member

17. ScKcBc macrumors regular

Yea, the 3rd one I ordered didn't arrive on 6/23 like my first 2, but it said "ship by 7/2". It shipped on 6/24 and got here today

18. Wetwipes macrumors member

You don't think that they will ship us the ones that people have returned cos of antenna problems do you ?? **gulp** :eek:

19. DirtySocks85 thread starter macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well I got tired of waiting on Apple and went to AT&T instead, ordered it in store and the rep said that I should expect it in store in the next week, and that they'd call me as soon as it was available for pick up.

20. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Anyone have a July 21st "ships by" date? Sigh...I feel like I'm all alone here.