Apple's slider menu "drawers"

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by darwen, Nov 21, 2007.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I am trying to figure out how Apple makes their menus slide over each other on most of their pages. For example, in the support tab, you see "Latest in Support: Popular Discussions, Popular How-To's, Top Searches" As you hover over each section the menu slides out of the way to show you the sub menu.

How is this done? I think it is CSS but I cant figure out what is causing it to work. If anyone can lead me to a tutorial or even tell me what the command is called, I would really appreciate it.

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

You'll have to use Javascript or AJAX as well as CSS. I couldn't tell you how to accomplish this exactly...

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

there's plenty of mootools plugins for this effect on the mootools.net forums.

4. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

Thanks! I am trying to figure it out. I have never heard of this site before. I think I have the code necessary now, I just cant figure out how it works. My Java Script wont fire (I did add that line they said was necessary for the demos).

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

post your code (script and html) and i'll see if i can figure it out. I haven't used mootools in a while (i was converted to Jquery)

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

It's done using UL tags and some javascript, I 'reversed engineered' it so I could use it on a site cause I think it's pretty darn cool. What I ended up with is still kinda buggy, what I'm going to try to do is make a tutorial with download files. Maybe that can be my Saturday project...

7. dannymichel macrumors newbie

dannymichel

Can you please share the code for what u have done?
    please