Apple's Smartphone Market Share Rises Sharply in Asia After iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Launch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's share of the smartphone market in Asia has risen significantly since the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in September, according to market research firm Counterpoint (via The Wall Street Journal). The biggest market share gains for the iPhone came in Japan, China, and South Korea, with the iPhone seeing a 33% market share during November in the latter country. This only trailed rival and South Korean company Samsung, which had a 46% market share after holding a 60% market share.

[​IMG]
    Apple's market share in Japan grew to 51% in November, holding a commanding lead over second place Sony which holds 17% market share. In China, Apple held a 12% market share in the smartphone market, which is third place behind Lenovo's 13% market share and upstart manufacturer Xiaomi, which commanded a 18% market share.

In November, data from AppLovin showed that the iPhone 6 Plus was popular with Asian customers, as Japan, Vietnam, China, and the Philippines showed an adoption rate of over 35% for the larger device. Overall, strong sales for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus led to smartphone market share growth for Apple across the world, with analysts attributing the growth to the redesigned bodies and larger screens of both devices.

Article Link: Apple's Smartphone Market Share Rises Sharply in Asia After iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Launch

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

Samsung shares in Apple's success, so they make out okay despite Apple pulling ahead.

3. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Anecdotal, but being in Shanghai recently, at least 1 third of the people I saw all had 6 pluses. Worth noting that the smallest phone size I saw was still around 5 inches, even with the older generations. Crazy.

4. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I'm not in Asia, but I have never seen such a sharp rise in the next generation iPhone as I have with the 6. Usually it seems to take longer before I see so many of the latest in the wild.

5. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Better marketing often beats a better product.

6. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Luckily Apple has both.

7. fallenjt macrumors 6502a

Tell that to the Korean. They turned away from their home company's products.

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I was unaware that people purchased phones based on some sort of nationalism.:rolleyes: But if what you say is true, what does that say about us Americans? I mean, it's not like we buy Apple exclusively because they're the "home company". Samsung's marketing definitely worked here, and according to this forum, Apple's product was better.

It could be as simple as more Korean people like iPhones now that they have sizes that are more attractive to the market.

9. Mashurrab macrumors regular

You surly are talking about SAMSUNG #

10. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Speaking as a Korean here, nationalism has driven sales of local brands in the past and is still valid to certain extent even now. But it's also the case of brand familiarity, especially for the older generations. They're familiar with Samsung and LG, and have the perception that they make good products. So even me being a stalwart Apple fan, I just recommend Samsung to relatives who are not familiar with Apple.

Meanwhile, the younger generations are familiar with Apple and the so-called iPhone Shock that happened back in 2009 when iPhone officially launched here. This demographic had embraced it quite well. But since then, the screen being more or less the same size had an effect of eroding the market share, moving away to large screen size offerings from the local brands. What we've seen back last November would be more or less those people returning.

11. rgeneral macrumors member

Yes it happens quite often. Folks do buy local to some extent. I am not sure if you are old enough to remember the car named PONY. All the koreans bought them in US to Hyundai even though they said the car was just terrible.

12. 2457282 Suspended

This is like a teaser for the quarterly report that is about to come out. It will be interesting to see the actual numbers for the last quarter. If all this is true, we could see the market respond well to the report. But as always, I will not expect any clues for the apple watch or anyting else that they may be cooking in their lab.

13. ryuok macrumors regular

We have small eyes, so the bigger screens definitely help. ;)

14. MarcVS macrumors newbie

Still a fan of iPhone 5s

iPhone 6 Plus may have a bigger screen and better specs than the previous models, but - in my opinion - it doesn't have any innovative features. The iPhone 5s introduced the fingerprint scanner, the 64-but Apple A7 with the motion co-processor, the dual-tone flash, etc.
    Most of the reviews for the iPhone 5s put these innovative features in the spotlight, while the discussions about the iPhone 6 Plus focus on design and build. The focus on design might be good for sales, but in the long run, no one will remember the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus as game-changers. :apple:

15. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

It usually takes both, along with price. Back in the '60s, USA TV was 100% Made-In-USA with RCA, Motorola, and Zenith. Then along came the Sony Trinitron from Japan, which flipped the industry on its head. Today, 0% of TVs are made in the USA.

BTW, back then, a new 21" RCA Color TV cost $600, which is equivalent to $4,800 today. So, they were far and few between. The entire neighborhood would show up at our house to watch Bonanza on Sunday evenings. The world has changed.

16. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Color TV was a really big deal. We even waited around to see the NBC peacock emblem when it came on in color.

By mid 1966, almost all of NBC's programs were in color, while only about 50% of CBS and ABC programs were.

We've come a long way in 50 years, but nowhere near as far as I think we had hoped for back then. Like, where's the 3D hologram shows, man??

17. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

The 6+ will be remembered as a game changer, the 5s bit so much. Howver, as "they" say: time will tell.

18. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats