Apple's software engineers underpaid?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Blue Velvet, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008/06/11/glassdoor/index.html

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well to be fair, you've got to factor in the cost-of-living difference between Mountain View and Cupertino.

Oh, wait...nvm.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"... meager financial returns."

I suppose we are talking in relative terms, but even so.

I also have to wonder if they've factored in benefits, access to stock options, bonuses, and the like.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

10 responses is inadequate to calculate any kind of average (don't know how many Apple respondents there were.) One value out of range (high or low) skews the average.

For example, in one neighborhood in Washington State, the average yearly income is $2,400,000 per family. Good neighborhood to be in, right? Except that's 100 families scraping by at $80,000 a year plus one house owned by W. Gates who reports $234,000,000 per year. Is that $2.4 mil a representative average?*

(See Stephen Jay Gould's Full House for a discussion on statistics and the improper use thereof)

(* yes, I made those figures up. Bill Gates probably brings home much more than that)

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Click the link ;)

The graph shows that they include bonuses.

I'm currently in the search for a job and the places I am considering the most aren't the highest paid by any stretch but they are for the company with the best reputation in CSR, the best responses from the employees I have spoken to etc. I'd rather work happy than in a job I would hate.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

who cares?

i mean in the sense they agreed to the salary when they accepted the job. If apple isn't competitive with salaries, it will reflect in the decline of people accepting posisitions. Economics will play itself out

If it was so bad, apple engineers can always apply for google lol

also, salary isnt the only form of compensation. i wonder what the retirement/vaca/benefits comparisons are

im sure there are some who took lesser salaries because they wanted to work for apple

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Your eyes are better than mine. Could they have made that print any tinier?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around "meager financial returns."

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Have you looked at housing in the South Bay recently? I'd say it's 'meager' in comparison. It all depends on where you're standing, I suppose. I'm an engineer and the range seems pretty similar to my industry (and SB isn't any cheaper, sadly).

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Let's put it this way: Lots of people live in these expensive regions of California on far less than $100k a year. That kind of salary isn't "meager" in my estimation.