Apple's Software Fix Might Be Under-rated: Video + Opinion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mciarlo, Jul 13, 2010.

1. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

YouTube

The video above shows my experience with the iPhone 4. At first, I was very angry at being able to drop calls on command by putting my finger over the left side seam, sometimes even only halfway. However, I gave Apple the benefit of the doubt because even flaws in past products that were claimed to be hardware defects (iMac screen flickering) were eventually fixed.

Nevertheless, I do still have doubts. Upon testing a co-workers phone today at work, I could not for the life of me get his signal to drop below five bars. This lead me to the video above, where I held my phone as I normally do. It dropped to 'Searching'. Then, keeping the phone in the same position, I walked over to my windows, which is about 30-40 feet. The signal popped right back up to four bars and I could not get the signal to drop.

The reason this is significant is two-fold:

1. This is the first video I've found documenting the fluctuation in signal using the 'death grip' in two locations with the same phone. Signal strength 100% impacts the perception of the flaw, correlating nicely with Anandtech's findings and this video demonstrates why some people claim they don't have the issue.

2. This means that perhaps there is some credit to be given to Apple when they say they need to adjust the number of bars being shown. If I'm really getting one bar farther from my windows, it would make sense if I drop the call when holding it.

Regardless of what the final issue(s) turn out to be, I'm hopeful Apple will fix them. And if there is a hardware recall, I will be first in line for a replacement.

2. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Yes but I think the issue is that displaying the correct number of bars is not a "fix", meaning that it won't fix your issue of dropping calls in that location, it will simply do a better job of showing how lousy your signal is.

I would be interested to know how many bars/dB you get on a 3G/3GS in that particular location.

3. mciarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

mciarlo

When I had my 3GS, in the same spot I had 4-5 bars, and could only get the signal to drop down by 2-3, even if I completely covered the sides and back with my hands.

This perhaps might be more ammo for the anti-iPhone 4 crowd, but I thought these results were very interesting, especially because the antenna is on the outside of the phone vs inside, and Anandtech's results show only slightly more attenuation than the iPhone 3GS.

4. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

It's definitely interesting. Someone needs to set the iPhone Dev Team (jailbreak community) on figuring out what's wrong. Bet they'd have it all figured out by now.

I also have a dead zone in my apartment, by the way. Full bars everywhere except in one corner downstairs where I can drop calls. Happens to be the corner where my entertainment center is.. Interference?

Wish I could believe there was a true software fix (e.g., oops our algorithm for switching towers based on signal strength is messed up), but based on what has been said publicly, I think the most we can hope for is a more accurate picture of how lousy that network is that we just signed another 2 year contract with.

5. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

for what it's worth I *WAS* able to get the bars to drop on my 3G, but I can not get them to drop on my i4