Apple's 'Start Something New' Campaign Expands to U.S. and Other Countries

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 31, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, Apple debuted a new "Start Something New" campaign on its Japanese site, showcasing individuals using its latest products and creative apps to make art and capture photos.

As of today, the company's new campaign has been expanded to several other countries, including the United States and many locations across Europe and Asia.

[​IMG]
    The "Start Something New" micro site includes a gallery that features art made with Apple products like the iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, and iMac. A range of photography, painting, and sketching apps like Procreate, VSCO Cam, iDraw, Waterlogue, and Brushes 3 are also featured on the site.

Apple also highlights individual creator stories, sharing the tools that each person uses to create their pieces. Japanese artist Nomoco, for example, uses an iPad Air 2 and the Brushes 3 app to make paintings.

[​IMG]
    Other artists, like Marcelo Gomes and Jingyao Guo use various photography and sketching apps to make stylized photos and drawings. Several photographers like Jared Chambers and Christian Weber use popular photo editing app VSCO Cam to edit photos, and Apple apps like iMovie and Final Cut Pro are used by videographers Matt Pyke and Thayer Allyson Gowdy.

Several iOS tools are featured as well, including Exposure Control, Burst Mode, and HDR, which various photographers use in the art creation process. Apple's "Start Something New" campaign follows in the footsteps of its previous "Your Verse" iPad campaign, which demonstrated the many ways people have incorporated Apple's iPad into their daily lives.

Article Link: Apple's 'Start Something New' Campaign Expands to U.S. and Other Countries

2. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

Don't quite know how you could call those things "works of art", but who's counting?

3. iChrist macrumors 65816

iChrist

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Ah so now MacRumors users get to define what's art?

5. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

No, Apple calls it art. Also, some of these people are fairly well known artists, they're not random people Apple picked up off of the street to draw a little in some sketching app.

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Look at works by Leon Spilliaert from the early 1900 period if you want to see "accepted" art similar to that referenced.

7. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

8. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Those pieces of "art" by Nomoco look like aliens that I used to see in nightmares as a child. I fail to see how they can be labeled as art.

*Braces for impact of "artists" flaming me over this post*

Also, this marketing strategy does nothing for me, except revive memories of childhood nightmares.

9. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

*Joins to help defend against impact*

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Sorry, I was referring to those first posts mocking this stuff for being called art. If this stuff is "art" then IMO The Interview is "cinema" IMO and nobody should care that it was on iTunes 3 days later than YouTube.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Great stuff. Wish I had the patience to do stuff like that in iDraw.

12. BCWorld macrumors 6502

BCWorld

No 2014 Mac mini in the line up eh? Oh I forgot you can create **** with those specs! :mad:Last one this year guys I promise! :D:D:D;)

I like the ad btw the way. It's cool. :cool::apple:

13. Thanks pal macrumors member

It's a free country.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Not if you're a typical <100 IQ idiot douchebathtub smug hipster-wannabe that fancies themself an "artist."

There's zillions of them out there and Apple sees them as a huge growth market. They know what they're doing. You are not part of the target market for this kind of crap.

----------

They're after the Prius crowd.

15. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Reminds me of the Microsoft Windows Start campaign from 2005, only difference with this should be that you can finish everything you start on your Mac.

16. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

17. Dezryth macrumors member

Dezryth

The photography is nice. But yeah, I don't get the other kind of art work. To each his own.

18. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

Well, maybe I'm missing something, but...I think the fact that someone has managed to create images that so vividly conjure memories of your childhood is one of the most straightforward definitions of 'art'.

19. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Anyone can call their creations art. The viewer gets to decide whether or not it appeals to them.

21. macnerd93 macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

Honestly, I saw that artwork on the iPad screen and it reminded me of this LOL.

Photo below was taken when a woman ruined a Fresco in Spain a couple of years ago.

Attached Files:

22. sickducker macrumors member

u sour?

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, and it's a thousand times better than Instagram's outdated and overused set of filters, even with the new stuff, they are still stuck with nothing more than overlays.

VSCO is a pro grade set of filters and has custom controls. Of course, if your picture is junk to begin with, no amount of that stuff is ever going to make it any better and you need to look at what you're doing and not just mindlessly push things up and down. I would say that in that gallery of Chambers's work on the Apple site, there are a few photos that aren't great by themselves, but work well in that sequence. Would say the same about Taylor-Young's.

But they all have good composition. Lots of people aim to get that one good shot in one go and that's the worst thing you can do, Understandable if you're a person taking family photos, but otherwise you need to understand what you're shooting and why.

You guys aren't harsh enough in your criticism. :p I like PowerBook-G5's though.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yep, that's why MacRumors posters don't get to decide what is/isn't art. ;)

25. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

How about everyone stops being so cynical :L
    This is a pretty ad, it is inspiring, it shows things you can create with apple products, and they give the idea of Apples premium style. There isn't a damn thing in it that is worthy of a complaint. Just ads people, lets calm down.