Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Stock Has Plunged 25% in Just Over One Month Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Allyance

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
The value of my portfolio has dropped $9632 in two weeks, over $4000 just today. But I have not lost any money yet because I have not sold any shares yet.

Comment

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
If this all blows over it will bounce back. For those with some money kicking around, and are into a bit of risk taking, I can see this is where people can make a lot of money.

Comment

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

I mean, the whole *MARKET* has dropped 30% in that time, so that's not too bad...
[automerge]1584400253[/automerge]
Why would anyone "lose" their savings? Is the stock being taken away from people? You do know that stock prices go up and down?

For people who are retired and are drawing from their retirement accounts, it is a huge hit - because drawing out enough to pay bills is drawing a much larger percentage now. An account that would have lasted for 20 years with scheduled payouts now may last only 10...

Reactions: hipnetic
Comment

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Still too expensive. At $220 I could consider getting back in, but they're currently up 35% in the past year.

Apple's sales volume fell over the last year. Increasing revenue by raising prices is not a sustainable process (and even if it was, it still doesn't justify a 35% increase).

Ok I’ll bite, You're naive if you think that’s the only reason it’s increased. What about wearables such as AirPods and Apple Watch? And services such as Music, the credit card and Apple Pay? Both of which have seen significant growth the past few years?

But no, it’s because of increased prices only according to you. :rolleyes:

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ok I’ll bite, You're naive if you think that’s the only reason it’s increased. What about wearables such as AirPods and Apple Watch? And services such as Music, the credit card and Apple Pay? Both of which have seen significant growth the past few years?

But no, it’s because of increased prices only according to you. :rolleyes:

People have been consistently arguing that Apple is diversifying for the last eight years. It's not happening. The iPhone is still responsible for over 60% of Apple's profits. China still manufactures almost everything Apple sells. The quarter either of those fail, Apple collapses like a house of cards.

Comment

blacksurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Truth is nobody is worrying about the next new iphone. Millions will lose their jobs because of the corona virus and will not upgrade. I cashed out at $324 per share, and I thank God everyday I sold!

Reactions: mi7chy
Comment

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
This is all part of investing. Had you invested along the way, you'd still be up. The Dow was under 20,000 just 4 years ago anyway and was 6,600 briefly in 2008.
And Dow will be under 20,000 within a week.

Comment

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
He owns 250M Apple shares now worth $61B. He and hasn’t sold anything close to a significant portion and any sale was likely from his Lieutenants’ small positions
in AAPL, not the portfolio Buffett himself manages.
[automerge]1584390845[/automerge]

That’s what everyone says until it reverses.
[automerge]1584390891[/automerge]

It is, in China...which is what he was talking about.

Cool? I never said anything in my post about it being a significant portion of his portfolio nor did I imply it. I just simply stated he had impeccable timing for the almost billion worth he sold.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Cool? I never said anything in my post about it being a significant portion of his portfolio nor did I imply it. I just simply stated he had impeccable timing for the almost billion worth he sold.
As I said, it was likely not him who sold and there is nothing impeccable about selling such a small percentage of your holdings. He’s still almost 99% long.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
The stock market is wierd...
this has happened literally multiple time over history and everyone knows that the stock is going to rebound. I am only guessing that there are people selling now so the price would drop even lower, then they would buy back and gain even more in the long term.

Comment

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I'm normally a contrarian and invest when things are looking bad, and I've done well investing during the 2008 financial crisis. I hate to break it to y'all, but this is much worse than anything any of us has seen. I am on the medical front lines and it is really, really bad. This is not a short or even intermediate term problem. You are going to have hundreds of thousands to over a million dead in the US alone unless EVERYONE changes their behavior. Economic activity is close to a standstill now, and the job losses will start soon, probably in 10's of millions. How many of those people are going to be buying iPhones?

Comment

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I’ve been holding since 1998 and will probably sell tomorrow. (Loss carry forwards will prevent a cap gain hit)

I am very pessimistic about recession and unemployment in the next 6-12 months and fully expect we won’t see a huge rollout of new phones for Christmas, especially if we are still going through social distancing. Without a media event rollout and mall stores, sales of the 12 (or whatever) will be tepid. Won’t buy back in until new cases are declining, social distancing has lifted and employment is trending up. Could be 2 months, could be 22.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
I’ve been holding since 1998 and will probably sell tomorrow. (Loss carry forwards will prevent a cap gain hit)

I am very pessimistic about recession and unemployment in the next 6-12 months and fully expect we won’t see a huge rollout of new phones for Christmas, especially if we are still going through social distancing. Without a media event rollout and mall stores, sales of the 12 (or whatever) will be tepid. Won’t buy back in until new cases are declining, social distancing has lifted and employment is trending up. Could be 2 months, could be 22.
Of course if you decided to sell tomorrow, you will rationalize the decision.

The real answer is, no one knows. We do know Apple has the cash flow, cash, balance sheet, and customers to weather this and come out the other side.

If you’ve been holding since 1998, you’ve seen a lot. Apple was just now beginning to get the respect it deserved as a stock, so selling because of the last month would just be silly.
[automerge]1584592305[/automerge]
People have been consistently arguing that Apple is diversifying for the last eight years. It's not happening. The iPhone is still responsible for over 60% of Apple's profits. China still manufactures almost everything Apple sells. The quarter either of those fail, Apple collapses like a house of cards.
Revenue, not profit. And iPhone was less than 55% of revenue in 2019. Apple has a $50B services business with 65% gross margins. They also have almost $120B in non iPhone revenue.

Apple moving to services and wearables is a huge change and is a big reason for multiple expansion, 5 years ago, Apple was a hardware company. No more.
[automerge]1584593022[/automerge]
I'm normally a contrarian and invest when things are looking bad, and I've done well investing during the 2008 financial crisis. I hate to break it to y'all, but this is much worse than anything any of us has seen. I am on the medical front lines and it is really, really bad. This is not a short or even intermediate term problem. You are going to have hundreds of thousands to over a million dead in the US alone unless EVERYONE changes their behavior. Economic activity is close to a standstill now, and the job losses will start soon, probably in 10's of millions. How many of those people are going to be buying iPhones?
Your opinion is likely skewed to the negative because you are the front lines. How many people have you personally seen die from this? Projecting a million deaths in the US is a enormous stretch and pretty much ignores any hope of treatments or vaccines which are already showing signs of progress.

This is different than 2008, but that was exceedingly bad. Credit was frozen and markets couldn’t work. The s&p500 dropped 55%. We aren’t even 2/3 of the way to that yet.

I would (and I am) net a lot of money we will get through this before 1M Americans die from this virus. That would indicate 100M infections just in America bro...and 1% mortality which is too high for the number of infections. The current mortality is coming way down once we get more positive tests. There are so many undiagnosed cases.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.