Apple's Stock Soars Past $1,000 Pre-Split Price as Bulls Think 'Golden Opportunity' to Buy Remains

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AAPL rose over two percent on Tuesday to close at $143.80, a new all-time high. The stock also surpassed a per-share price of $1,000 when adjusted for Apple's 7-for-1 stock split in June 2014. Apple now has a market valuation of over $750 billion on its path towards becoming the world's first trillion dollar company.

[​IMG]

The milestone comes as longtime Apple analyst turned venture capitalist Gene Munster told CNBC that now remains a "golden opportunity" to buy Apple stock. Munster's new firm Loup Ventures has a $180 to $200 price range for AAPL, and he expects "clear sailing" for Apple investors in the months ahead.

Apple analyst Brian White of brokerage firm Drexel Hamilton maintained his "buy" rating for AAPL today, with a price target of $185. He continues to believe that Apple remains "among the most underappreciated stocks in the world" and that "Apple has Samsung on the ropes like never before in recent memory."

An excerpt from White's latest research note obtained by MacRumors:
    Apple analyst Steven Milunovich of investment bank UBS has maintained his "buy" rating for AAPL as well, with a price target of $151 set in late February. In a bullish scenario where Apple has "caught the next major trend," he believes the stock's price could reach $200 within the next two years or so.

Apple is widely expected to benefit from another "supercycle" of iPhone upgrades this year, given a "larger than ever" base of existing customers with an iPhone 6 or older device. Apple's stock price has also been fueled by excitement surrounding a rumored 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge OLED display.

Update: AAPL closed at $144.12 on Wednesday, setting yet another all-time high.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Soars Past $1,000 Pre-Split Price as Bulls Think 'Golden Opportunity' to Buy Remains

2. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Yeah. As a 6 series owner I didn't find the 7 compelling enough to upgrade.... There's a huge glut of people who are in "upgrade mode" and if this new iPhone is even close to what it's hyped to be Apple is going to make a ton of money.

3. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Why do I have a feeling that all we are going to get this fall is an iPhone 7S? It's like the more money Apple makes the less innovative they get.

4. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Entirely predicated on Mobile, which to me means Apple from an investment standpoint, isn't solid.

These numbers certainly fly in the face of what all the MBP owners seem to feel about Apples future. :)

5. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

That wouldn't be good for Apple or smart on their part. With this huge glut of potential buyers, a disappointing release could be a disaster.

6. cardfan macrumors 68000

7. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I said the same thing with iPhone 7. Now look.

8. vertical smile, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Good for AAPL investors!
    It is still a long ways away before it gets to that $1,000,000,000,000. Hell, that is a lot of zeros......

9. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

? The iPhone 7 wasn't in this position.

10. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

History has proven AAPL and Apple have very little influence on the performance of each other. One of them moves at the whims of the market and the other moves at the whims of the market. Those markets aren't the same.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

People have been saying this for the last 5 years. Well, the last 10/15 years. People always waiting for it to go down, then snap it up. But the shares over the long term have just gone up and up.

If we bought shares a few years ago when the prices were through the roof and everybody thought it'd plummet, we'd still have made a wicked profit by now.

Apple are going to become infinitely more wealthy in the next 5 years. That much I can guarantee. They've got their fingers in so many pies, with technology that is in its infancy and has so much potential to grow. If anybody's on the fence, I'd just say buy now and hug the stock for the next half-decade.

12. amirite macrumors 6502a

Speak for yourself

-MBP owner/Apple shareholder

13. agsystems macrumors 6502a

well jump in and ride the wave - I suspect a major sell off in January with the report of 'order cuts' like every year.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The new MacBook Pro absolutely slays and most 2016 MBP owners can't be happier with it. That's because they actually bought it and loved it, rather than looked at the paper specs and scoffed.

Don't believe the negativity here; the MacWhiners are the exception to the rule. Just reading this website, you'd think that everybody hates the 2016, but that couldn't be further from the truth. :)

15. NoHardFeelings macrumors newbie

NoHardFeelings

That's _only_ a billion. A trillion is $1,000,000,000,000.

16. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Yeah the vast majority of noise has largely died down. People were literally saying Apple was done, yet they made a great product anyway.

I'm not a "fan" of the Touchbar, couldn't care less, but the touchID is worth an easy $300-$400.

17. satchmo macrumors 68020

Well of course buying last November would have been better. But hindsight is well...
    I'm not sure it's going to be clear sailing though.

While there may be many iPhone 6 owners who skipped the 7 entirely (myself included), there still needs to be a compelling reason to update. Is the absence of bezels and a physical home button enough? Not for me.
    Plus, the iPhone 6 and 6s still performs admirably for the majority of the tasks.

18. amirite macrumors 6502a

Well said. MR users have dismissed every major Apple innovation since the iPod; including the iPhone, iPad and TouchBar. If you make investment decisions based on the comments here you're going to miss out.

Hell, if you make purchasing decisions based on the comments here you're going to miss out.

19. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Yea, I caught it when I re-read my post. I think the amount of zeros made me dizzy.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Mystified but I'll take it.

This is a telling signal that Apple is now purely an iPhone company. Everything else Apple sells is just an accessory for the iPhone. With all the rumors of an all new "blockbuster" iPhone pending Apple is getting lots of positive reinforcement from Wall Street that Apple's other products simply do not matter. So it's no wonder, for example, that the most current iMac was released in 2015. It's only us Mac users that care but we are a pittance of Apple revenue. Apple isn't going to live or die on Mac so of course its not motivated to update here at any regular pace.

21. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I tried the machine in store and I'm a touch bar believer now. That said, I still have two reservations, one being personal, the other being financial. First, I'm still in love with the 12" form factor and regret selling my machine last year. It wasn't my only machine though, I have a desktop for my media production. But I can easily adjust to the larger size, hell maybe even a 15".

But I cannot get over the price. $100 increase for the touchbar, fair enough. Hell even $200. But when we talk about $2000 with tax (minus edu/other discounts), for a 13"...not something I want to do. And no, the non-touchbar is not an option. Removing two USB ports for no damn reason other than to further differentiate the machines and even then, it's still high priced especially when compared in performance to its predecessor.

So there are certainly some serious concerns I have right now.

22. cardfan macrumors 68000

I don't buy at record highs is all I'm saying although I see Apple as a value stock and longterm hold so it's not too bad. I already have Apple and have benefited but when you start seeing these types of articles, you've missed the boat. Wait for a dip. We're due for a correction anyways.

23. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I agree they are pricey. But all new MBPs have been and that'll drop in time. :)

24. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Expectedly given iPhone is ~66% of Apple's revenue.

25. now i see it macrumors 68040

Clearly "investors" haven't been paying attention to what's been going on lately.
    Still buying that pipeline bs. Well let me tell ya, the pipeline clogged up with false promises a long time ago.