Apple's Strategy - Agree?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Jun 25, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

When Apple released the first iPhone, it was basically the biggest hyped touch screen phone of its kind. As i recall, only other touch screen phone i heard about was the Prada, and look where that is today. After the iPhone was released, companies started developing touch screen phones. Today, off the top of my head, there is the Voyager, Vu, Instinct, etc. All of which try to put the iPhone in the dust, but honestly, they don't even come close.

With the 3G iPhone now, at a subsidized price, it now puts the iPhone ahead of all others. Some can argue with MobileTv built in, a better camera, and so on, which in all, those are just the little things, but yet those phones will have it while the iPhone doesn't. For iPhone 3G, we only saw little improvements that we would expect. 3G, GPS, and a slight new design.

Now, because of the subsidized price, you obviously can't buy another iPhone next year (which i can almost safely say we will see updates for the iPhone every year around summer time). You can't buy another subsidized phone in a contract, so instead, we will see the next iPhone price set at what the first generation iPhone was at, around $400-$500.

With this iPhone, we will probably see huge improvements that just blow away all the other competition that will spark up this year. 3G, 5MP Camera, GPS, 32GB standard, a new look, and so on.

Does anyone else see where i am coming from? Opinions?

To sum it up, i'm basically saying we will see a big makeover of the iPhone next year. Don't get me wrong, i know the 2nd iPhone hasnt even come out yet, and i love the thing, i'm just looking at the future of this great device.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There will be progress in due time. You have to admit, for Apple, their first trek into the cell phone industry has been quite impressive. Once they get the copy/paste function down in 2012 I'm sure it'll be hard to not be impressed!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look at all the gimmicks they tried for the MP3 players to push themselves ahead of the late entry iPod.

The iPhone is coming to market decades later than all the other phones, and they are using gimmicks to try to stay ahead of the iPhone already.

Probably see an evolution inside and modifications outside, with the OS and SW taking a front seat to make you able to do more.

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I see where your coming from and this year they do small improvements then next year might come a design change and a "super" iphone if apple goes by what you are suggesting. I guess i could see them doing that but i don't wanna wait a year.

ChrisN

5. superspy macrumors newbie

Totally see your point. The strategy looks similar to Intel's with major advancements followed a year later by minor improvements.

I think Apple would just come out with incremental upgrades to keep pace with the rest of the manufacturers (slightly larger capacity, 3 MP-ish camera, faster internals, maybe even a flash for the camera). The price could stay constant to attract new customers. What will distinguish Apple from the rest of the market would be software, like the app store, and accessories, either from Apple or 3rd parties.

Who knows, maybe Apple already has parallel development teams working on a major revision for next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the product line fresh by segmenting it with an Iphone Nano or similar. Or maybe, we'll see some sort of revolutionary system-on-chip from the people at P.A. Semi.

Either way good and bad for us - better products but, as always, more anticipation for the next offering.

6. ihabime macrumors 6502

I think Apple has become much more of an evolutionary company. They introduce a product then slowly build the brand with incremental updates, just enough to keep people interested, but not incur to much cost or risk. The iPhone was the biggest risk they'd taken in a while, (beside the switch to intel which was really a necessity).

The iPod is a good example, regular expansions with features/form factors added as they became cost effective, never really leading edge tech, but close enough to keep people buying them.

Remember that the iPhone is still lacking features that other phones have; backward facing camera for video chat, voice dialing, instant messaging. I think those will be part of the incremental updates as chipsets that support them come within Apples price. They may eventually broaden the lineup with other models as long as they can be clearly defined, Apple hates overlap. That's why I think the iPhones will always be lower in capacity than the iPods, it keeps that line between them clear.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only reason the iPhone's capacity is lower than other iPods is physics. They can't hit the 32GB level because apparently there are two holes for junk, and the iPhone needs one for the cellular/GPS stuff while the Touch can plop in another flash memory module. There are no 32GB flash modules, so it can't top 16GB.

The iPod Classic uses a hard drive, so unless Apple puts a HDD in the Touch or iPhone, they obviously won't come close to that. However, I don't see that happening.

I think Apple will put as much storage as they can in iPhones because a good number of us are buying them as iPod replacements.

8. drb6 macrumors regular

anyone know what the status is of a 32 gb flash chip? I heard some news in May that Intel was (planning to, already?) introducing one. But couldn't find much info on other manufacturers and their roadmaps.

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

In May 2008 Intel/Micron said they would have samples out in June 2008, production by end of year.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&sid=08/05/31/2041200

10. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I agree that there will probably be an updated model each summer but I don't think the price will be set at the first generation price. I think it will always be subsidized but those of us in a contract will just pay the unsubsidized price (there are people in this situation today). Otherwise the iPhone pricing would be a roller coaster going up and down each year based on an assumption that everyone bought an iPhone 3G at the launch and everyone upgrades every year.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

True, you can only get one subsidized phone per 2 years IF you only have the bottom plan, but if your plan is $99 or more per month you can get a subsidized phone every year.

False, if you don't qualify for a subsidized iPhone next year you can't get the latest and greatest. You can, you just have to pay the "non-qualified" upgrade price i.e., full boat.

False, Apple will switch back and forth between subsidized and unsubsidized. This is it until ATT's exclusivity ends. All Phones from this point on will be "subsidized" for some time to come. To flip flop back and forth would only confuse consumers.

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Fanboy thread with little research, just opinions and pats on the back.

Moving on now. :rolleyes:

By the way it was the HTC Touch and the Prada that came before the iPhone.

And every other phone on the market has a feature set that blows the iPhone out of the water. Much like the iPod, and ALL Apple hardware the only thing keeping them up and going is the UI, not the features.

13. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I love the iPhone but...
    I see a big road block, in the United States, to the iPhone not being as big as it could be. Apple is locking itself in by using a single carrier. I can understand using GSM. Although not totally dominant in the United States it is dominant globally.

If I were Apple I would be careful with their strategy, eventually opening up to T-Mobile and sell the hardware not tied down to a carrier.

As it stands, what is best for me is to keep a close eye on Openmoko and Android to see where they go with it. At minimum I want wifi, bluetooth, gps, lots of memory, lots of apps and a usb port. Since these platforms are open source eventually there should a HUGE selection of apps, free and not so free. (as in beer)
    :)

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Totally agree. I also see the same issue that Apple has with all it's hardware. They are slow to adopt, and very slow at admitting that other tech innovated by other companies is worth putting in the phone.

The landscape keyboards that are out now combined with XT9 make it far easier to type on those devices. I am sure Apple may never adopt that since they didn't start it, and it will be a lose for us all.

15. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Applenet - Apples own cellular/broadband network is coming. Sit and watch.

16. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

If they get the EdgePhone users to upgrade to 3G, and the prices being subsidized locking people in for 2 years.....

Then, next year, they need to have a LOT of new Bells and Whistles in order to get the owners to pay the 'dump their plan' fee for breaking their contracts and buying a new one.

Otherwise, their sales will start to droop. And Apple doesn't want to sag in their profits. This is all 'money driven'.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not really a bad plan for AT&T to keep Apple with them is it?

Keep customers continually upgrading and extending their contracts to 2 years all the time, along with paying penalties for doing so.

Apple probably will get a decent upgrade percentage this time round and over the next few upgrades.

Though since the penalty for the upgrade is quite a bit higher than the iPod, they might not get as many suckers.

But Apple tends to do well there in any case getting people to buy into their upgrade plan of buying new all the time.

18. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

What happened to the open market Jobs was talking about? ATT sucks in Ohio, and in fact they (ATT) are a huge stumbling block for Apple. VZW is so far superior in coverage it is not even close.

I LOVE the iPhone, but will not make it another round with lack-luster coverage and or service. :D

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think it will, I just think that the competition will continue to produce far better phones with lackluster hardware. Right now the other service providers are offering phone that do more things, and do the same things that the iPhone do as well. Many features are done better with the other phones, but they all lack that glossy UI.

Even when it comes to service, the other providers do a much better job than AT&T, especially in the rollout of 3G.

Main point after saying all that, users will still want to grab that glossy UI, and as long as Apple does it differently people will flock to them. The phone would be killer on any other network, and if it were on Sprint's or Verizon's network or UNLOCKED, it would be a much easier device to own. Rather than users making great sacrifices for it.

20. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

My opinion. Is there a problem?

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Wasn't really talking about you specifically. Just that every typical iPhone thread is filled with people that just love it no matter what, which isn't a problem. The issue I have starts when people start lambasting other device with no real knowledge of those products.

Do other phones suck in comparison to the iPhone... hell yes!
    Do other phones have a slick UI... hell no!
    Is the iPhone the end all phone... not if you want real features
    Are there phones that are better than the iPhone when NOT comparing the UI... hell yes and a lot of them

To just simply say that nothing else comes close is just biased opinion.

No hard intentions meant.

22. yyy macrumors regular

I think Apple is trying to gain a larger market share for the iPhone which is a smart move. The iPhone is a totally different device and many people today don't understand the benefits of it. This is why it is important to get as many people as possible to know the device. Apple tries to do it by an attractive price and in order to be able to sell it in that price, there are only little improvements in the new iPhone 3G.

Once Apple reaches a much larger market share, they'll introduce the next iPhone, which will probably be more expensive and much more improved than the current one. People will want to buy it since they'll already be familiar with the benefits of the device.

What I don't understand is Apple's international marketing strategy for the iPhone. It seems like they just signed contracts with major cellular companies and let them release the iPhone to their worldwide markets. That leaves some countries with no iPhone, even though they have a higher demand for the iPhone than those which will release the iPhone. For example, wouldn't it be possible to sell more iPhones in Russia, China or Israel than in the developing countries of Africa? :confused:

23. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It's true except for several things. One, atleast from what I read, nothing works nearly as well as it does on the iPhone, or as often. Also, Apple is obviously doing something right if that is the case (which it is).

24. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

QFT.

25. newyorksole macrumors 68030

It really is a shame that the iPhone only needs a couple more features to make it perfect, but sadly those features are missing. All of these low rate phones with tacky interfaces have all the features and the beautiful easy to use phone is lacking.