Apple's strategy to make users to buy the latest model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snailteaser, Sep 16, 2014.

1. snailteaser macrumors newbie

is that coincidence that when Apple releases a new line of phones then the models 2 generations behind start to develop annoying things, such as: battery drains quickly, buttons don't recognise tapping immediately, lag in operation and general slowness... It looks like Apple push out and activate a "sabotage agent" hidden in any release of iOS when a few newer models are out there. So people eventually get fed up with the annoyance and just chose to buy the latest model.

I'm not talking about iOS upgrade. To say an example: bought my iPhone 4 with the original iOS. At that time iPhone 5 series were out on the market. I haven't updated software, have used the very same apps in a very same way, but after the new 5C etc were released my phone started to act up suddenly. Running exactly the same things... battery gone in about 4 hours average use. The phone wasn't even 1 year old when things started to go slow.

Anybody has any facts or opinion about this?

Greg

PS I intend not to offend any Apple products here, I am a great fan of them.

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

It's probably in your head. I just went back from 5s to 4 in anticipation of getting the 6, and it's about as stable and reliable as ever, albeit slow.

3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Both of my kids 4 and especially the 4s run better on iOS7 than they did on iOS6.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Battery degrades over time, it's a natural process.
    You bought the iPhone 4 when it was already OVER 2 years old. Was it used? It probably already had many battery cycles on it.

The iPhone 4 is slow, single core cpu. Moving up to a dual core SMP supporting cpu starting with the 4S was a momentous leap. It's no surprise it's showing it's age. And again, it was already OVER 2 years old when you bought it.

Everything you say sounds completely expected...

6. snailteaser thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... then it must be something different with the apps. Which iOS version is recommended for iPhone 4? my friend upgraded iOS on his iPhone 4 and it's even worse than before.

----------

Bought is brand new in Apple store. So battery was supposed to be fresh.

7. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

If the new OS is optimized for efficiency on a small group of newer phones, then older devices will suffer. It's just the nature of 'new'. Devs always have to make a choice, support all legacy and be anchored to the past, or move on and optimize for the future. I doubt however, that it's actually slower than how it was when it first came out. We're just used to the 'snappiness' of the newer ones that the old devices' flaws are more noticeable.

8. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

You're the third person to say this. Two of my friends are claiming the same thing BUT it's all in your heads. Knowing you're getting the new one or wanting to.... That's all.

9. lke macrumors 6502a

A lot of apps don't work if you don't update them.

Everything is possible and even an update to ios to make everything slower is possible.

I think that with windows and mac os x it is the same story

10. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Gotta remember that apps update, have new features etc and are obviously going to be more intensive.

Apple only release the new iOS on the devices that can run it but if you have the lowest model that it will run on, not sure why you'd expect it to run as fast...

11. mantan macrumors 68000

There is no doubt there is a measure of planned obsolescence by all cell phone manufactures. Their business model is built on you spending $650-800 on a cell phone every two years. There is no incentive to build a device and operating system that works as good as new for 5-7 years.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is why I always liked Jack Nicholas more. ;)

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Well, they both had great shots.

14. mojito macrumors member

Well I feel like this is the great conspiracy theory that everyone has. No one knows for sure, but I see it more of an issue that phones 2 gens old are just getting left behind. The technology is advancing as are the apps, file quality, and more. The older phones aren't as fast or as robust so they slow down as you update them and load high volume data on them.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You could always switch to Android, hope that your handset is eligible for a new OS, and hope even more that the carrier or manufacturer releases it.

16. snailteaser thread starter macrumors newbie

the app and ios update would make and older phone slower I could accept that. But nor the apps nor the ios wasn't upgraded on my phone which suddenly started to develop these annoying things. Could be just a battery fault. But with a multi billion dollar business I have no hopes companies play fair. It's all about the profit and to entice you to buy the latest model. No doubt - I will buy my new iPhone 6 too sometime soon. ;)

17. MooseOnTilt macrumors regular

I support this and I love apple products but me and my friends have discussed about this before. Around the time of the 5S release my 4S started to crap out on me and act up. Regardless cant wait to see what its like to go from a 4S to 6+

18. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

It's no secret that many tech companies engage in planned obsolescence to get their customers to upgrade more quickly. But in my personal experience, I haven't experienced any of the above with the iPhone.

My first iPhone was a 3GS, and after two years of use I did not notice any change in performance. The only degradation to the device was two hairline cracks in the plastic along the 30-pin connector, which was purely cosmetic and did not affect the connection in any way. And this was running iOS 5, two updates beyond the original firmware it shipped with. If anything, I thought the battery life was even better than when I first got it.

I'm currently coming up on three years of using the 4S, and my experience is slightly more negative than with the 3GS in terms of changes over time, but not in any way that I would say it would force an upgrade. Two problems I have experienced are extreme heat production under normal conditions, and short battery life. It doesn't overheat to the point that I get a warning or have it shut off (with one exception, when it was a hot day and I was running Google Maps on the road in a car with no AC), and when I use my battery case I can easily get through a full day of heavy use). Interestingly, the home button stopped working intermittently about a year ago, but the problem has since resolved itself.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Newer software running on and making older hardware feel slower is just expected when it comes to computers, so why would it be any different on a phone?

For this reason a lot of people still run old software. I still see people reinstalling their computers with Windows XP when it's over a 12 years old at point. Simply put (aside from the cost reasons), the new software will run slower on older hardware.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Utter apologist dyed in the wool fanboy twaddle.
    iO7 killed the i4 and made it a heavy paperweight. That thing lags so much you want to throw it against the nearest wall.

21. SweetDove macrumors regular

Having the most updated os on older gens isn't always best. It could be too that your mind is trying to justify the cost of the iphone 6. "Oh I really do Need this phone, because look how ..slow, laggy, ect this phone is.

If you aren't digging it, you could look into jail breaking it.