Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Really IT and Apple products don't mix, small endevors are fine but I have never been able to get anyone in the companies I have worked or contracted with to move to anything Apple.

Like Google? Ya, they sure are a small company.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
"...and then we were told not to tell anyone about the measures I just described as we signed the NDA." ;)

NDA's expire, obviously. Sounds like it happened from the first part cutout from the Macrumors story - "Now that it's been over year, I can talk about it."

And even if it had not - which it seems it has - who doesn't bend an NDA now and then? :p

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Like Google? Ya, they sure are a small company.

I think the poster was referring to the backend side of enterprise, servers, IT etc... And what he/she said is very true.
Apple doesn't even use it's own server products. They use Solaris, IBM, etc..

What you're referring to is employees of google using macs and linux boxes.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
NDA's expire, obviously. Sounds like it happened from the first part cutout from the Macrumors story - "Now that it's been over year, I can talk about it."

And even if it had not - which it seems it has - who doesn't bend an NDA now and then? :p

Folks who take their commitments and promises seriously.

(I know that sounds huffy and self righteous - but you get my point :p)

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
My initial reaction was that the security was excessive. But your post is persuasive.:D

It may be seem nuts, but when a company invests a bazillion dollars in something, protecting it makes corporate sense.

Right... If I locked up my iPad like this, then that would be excessive. :)

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well..

This is a little ridiculous IMO. It's a a toy not a top secret black project with national security implications.

It is not a national security item but it is a device that created a new market resulting in billions of dollars of revenue. Apple shareholder ARE happy they are hyper paranoid, believe me.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
What few realize is this is nothing new.

Most corporations building new products in a competitive market do the same thing.

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Funny all that effort to hide the fact that the physical design was basically a black screen on a black base. What did those guys think that frame was hiding -- a filigree of carven unicorns and dolphins sporting in the sea surf?

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

cliveren13 said:
It is a Big toy that sold alot what do u really do with your Ipad HUH?

You mean besides taking notes at meetings, writing letters, and writing stories?

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Jeez..it's just a portable computer- That's All !!
Apple are so far up their own a$$holes.

lairdo

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
I have managed projects on about a dozen pre-release gaming systems. I can assure you that Apple's requirements are in line with those of other companies. Sure they sound draconian, but actually they are not too hard to follow. We've even had a situation where we had to create a walled off area at one of our developers and add a keycard lock. It's just what you do to be first to market on a new platform - a competitive advantage in terms of early adoption and gaining expertise ahead of our competitors in the same space.

Let me give you one other angle on this: I like the security measures. They force us to limit access to those team members who really need the information and visibility. And they heighten the importance of keeping our parters' intellectual property secret. In no way do I want to get a call from our legal department worried we were the cause of a leak.

We've even had to put in security measures for pre-release music. On Guitar Hero, we released a Metallica album as downloadable content day-and-date with the physical CD. So, we needed the tracks about 2 months ahead of time to program and test them with the game. Our quality assurance department was required to install metal detectors and confiscate any cell phones from the testers so that no one could copy the music and leak it.

mashkina

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Dubai
This is a little ridiculous IMO. It's a a toy not a top secret black project with national security implications.

Imagine Samsung taking those pictures and launching the Samsung Galaxy Tab one day before iPad's launch. And you say ridiculous?

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Yet in that pic that leaked there is no woodgrain to be found. Apple security fail! Apple iPad win!

dhrlove

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not a toy, it's a billion dollar industry that Apple seems to be winning. You're distracted by what an ipad does. The business model is the important bit.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, so they are bolted down so that no one can see the form factor... But couldn't the guy who bolts them down leak images of the form factor? Or does Steve himself bolt the iPads down?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Oh young padawan, calling an Apple product a toy on macrumors ... much to learn you have

Just for adding more flame to the topic: If someone thinks a device should be upgraded every year, then it's a toy. "Serious" devices have a lot of personal data and applications and migrating them is a pita. So, if you consistently buy a next-generation device every year, then for sure it's a toy.

I can't imagine upgrading my white Macbook without a good reason (hardware failure or very obsolete specs). However, I could upgrade my Macmini every year as I use it mainly as an HTPC.

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
That's so cool and such an interesting read. I love how diligent they are in secrecy - makes it the most exciting company to watch.

If only they can find that missing iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.