Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Appleinsider now believes that Apple's "ultra-thin and lightweight notebook" with NAND flash may take more time than originally projected.

The rumor site had previously believed that a "lighter and more compact than any other Mac portable Apple has put forth in recent years" was on track near WWDC (June 2007).

Citing a maturing timeline, people familiar with the initiative now have the chic notebook tracking for the latter half of the year, with a contingency plan in place to transition the device into a Macworld 2008 product should engineers require the additional time.

This is in spite of recent news that Intel's Santa Rosa initiative will be shipping as early as next month. The Santa Rosa platform similarly provides NAND-flash caching to improve boot times and battery lives.

If true, the latest rumor, indicates that Apple's own version of this technology will not see light of day until late 2007 or early 2008.

This timeframe is also consistent with analyst reports of the same:

The maker of the popular iPod music player and Macintosh computers hopes to introduce so-called flash memory in small computers known as subnotebooks in the second half of 2007

The first rumors of a NAND-flash caching Mac laptop came in January 2006 from Digitimes, but has since been corroborated by multiple other reports. Just today, Digitimes reports that Apple has been negotiating with Samsung for volume purchasing of more NAND flash.

Apple is asking for 400-500 million 4Gbit NAND flash equivalent chips from Samsung, the sources said. Since the volume requested by Apple is 10-15% more than what the two parties agreed earlier, Samsung is not 100% sure its capacity can meet the need, the sources indicated.

While these supplies are presumed to be for the iPod and iPhone, Apple could also be planning for future NAND-flash based laptops.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
MacBook "Thin"

Better late than 2008........... would love to have seen them at WWDC:rolleyes:

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
better late than never!

well i certainly hope there is some truth to this and the product sees the light of day.

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Who knows? It seems like weird never-die rumors about Apple have actually had a pretty good track record of late. God knows, this is the one I want to come true. :D

I wonder whether it will really end up using a "light" version of OS X like the iPhone does.

Comment

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Gimme.

Santa Rosa Macbook Pro.

Now. Now. Now now now now nownownownownownownownownow.

What!!! No SR MBP!!!

Why, Steve, Why? Why do you hate your eyes so??? Is seeing really so terrible???

:D

Comment

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I'd love a sub-MacBook Pro, (Al casing). Since I have no plans for maybe another 12 months or more, I can easily wait for MWSF 08 or 09. Would be nice to see one soon though for others and to let it bed in a bit for myself.

Comment

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
400m-500m chips? Is that a typo? Or another potential ET cartridge for the Atari situation

Comment

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i used a mates Vaio sub-notebook the other day. Its really cool, but its damn thick for what it is; its thicker than my MacBook!

An Apple sub-notebook would be awesome, if they could keep the price down a bit.

Comment

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Common Apple theme these days : delays.

Another common theme: Make up rumors of non-existent products and when they don't appear make up rumors of delays. As far as I know there has been only one delay: Leopard. All the rest are just people who hope that wishing will make it so and then get frustrated when it doesn't.

Comment

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
If there really is one I wonder how much they will sell it for. If it was in the 800$ (US) I would jump on that train. But I doubt it will run that low.

Comment

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Another common theme: Make up rumors of non-existent products and when they don't appear make up rumors of delays. As far as I know there has been only one delay: Leopard. All the rest are just people who hope that wishing will make it so and then get frustrated when it doesn't.

True, but it still sucks reading how full-size video iPods are delayed, SR notebooks keep falling further and further back into '07, Leopard not till the fall, Apple TV shipping late, etc even if they are just rumors. Perhaps Q3/4 will be the half year of the Mac.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
If there really is one I wonder how much they will sell it for. If it was in the 800$ (US) I would jump on that train. But I doubt it will run that low.

unlikely. subnotebooks typically cost more than the normal run of the mill 'books but depends on how small we're talking here too. and what components they're using.

Comment

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
unlikely. subnotebooks typically cost more than the normal run of the mill 'books but depends on how small we're talking here too. and what components they're using.

Ya Im just hoping for somthing that would not have alot of power just enough for internet, word docs, and maybe movies.

Comment

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I was under the impression that the sub notebook would be flash only (no hd for storage but flash). This would be different from santa rosa as that would be hd + flash caching. So, I would say santa rosa mbp's with flash caching are still expected for june/july release...

Comment

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
Why the delays apple???? i used a subnotebook 11" sony vaio laptop the other day, it felt way to small to use comfortably.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.