Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Upcoming Apple TV+ movie "The Tragedy of Macbeth" is set to premiere at the BFI London Film Festival on the final day of the event, Sunday, October 17.

apple-tv-plus-tragedy-of-macbeth.jpg

Apple also plans to offer preview screenings of the film at London Film Festival partner cinemas across the UK.

Written by Joel Coen, "The Tragedy of Macbeth" is set to star Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. Filmed entirely in black and white, the movie is described as a "bold and fierce adaptation of Shakespeare's classic, a tale of murder, madness, ambition, and wrathful cunning."

"The Tragedy of Macbeth" is the first film directed by a single Coen brother. Joel Coen and his brother Ethan Coen have been responsible for hit movies that include "The Big Lebowski," "No Country for Old Men," "Fargo," and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Apple announced that it had acquired the rights to the movie back in May, and the film is being produced by Apple partner A24. Apple has previously worked with A24 on "On the Rocks," starring Bill Murray and Rashida Jones.

After premiering in theaters, "The Tragedy of Macbeth" will be available on Apple TV+, but Apple has not yet provided a date for its availability.

Article Link: Apple's 'The Tragedy of Macbeth' to Premiere at the London Film Festival

dgrey

Suspended
Jul 2, 2021
This will also be the opening night selection at NYFF 59 at Lincoln Center - the New York Film Festival.

macdos

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2017
By permission
of Mr. Jobs
a
Joel Coen Production
of
Mr. Cooks' Presentation
of
Apple Computer, Inc.
of
The excellent and Lamentable Tragedie
of
MacBeth
by
William Shakespeare
With Mr. Cooks as MacDuff.
At Three of the Clocke in th'Afternoon.​

jimbobb24

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2005
Experimental Shakespeare has good and bad potential. It is among the greatest literature in the world so is open to a lot of reinterpretations which can bomb while leaving the source pristine.

Saying it will be bold and fierce is a little redundant. It’s MadBeth!

My guess is no matter the direction Denzel will be amazing.

Reactions: orbital~debris

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
This looks interesting. I didn’t read Macbeth in school, and I’ve never seen the play, but last week I watched the 2015 adaptation directed by Justin Kurzel starring Michael Fassbender on HBOmax and it was amazing. It’s very dark and witchy with gorgeous cinematography. Every single frame is a stunning photograph.

I’ll definitely be checking out this film, too, but the 2015 version is severely underrated (it didn’t even manage to get a single Academy Award nomination), so I figured this is a good time to plug it here.

One of the best films I’ve seen in a long time.

Last edited:

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
This should be excellent. There are certain rare people so good at what they do I'll check it out no matter what, and Denzel/McDormand are two of the best to ever do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ObsDax

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
By permission
of Mr. Jobs
a
Joel Coen Production
of
Mr. Cooks' Presentation
of
Apple Computer, Inc.
of
The excellent and Lamentable Tragedie
of
MacBeth
by
William Shakespeare
With Mr. Cooks as MacDuff.
At Three of the Clocke in th'Afternoon.​
I'll bet 50 pounds that it won't be able to show the true nature of greed for power, and of witchcraft.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.