Apples to Apples? Processors aren't slower are they?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DynoMike3000, Dec 28, 2010.

1. DynoMike3000, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

DynoMike3000 macrumors newbie

I bought a dual quad core about 4 years ago that had 3Ghz Intel processors, the new ones are 2.66. They can't be slower can they? How does a dual quad core today compare with my old one? Before I spend $3500-$4000, will I be blown away with the difference?

Also are the new laptops now as fast as my old desktop?

2. Petered macrumors newbie

Well the old CPU you have use a different architecture and and the new Mac pros Witch I assume your talking about have the nahelam CPUs such are for servers so are faster

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Don't buy now cause Sandy Bridge will come soon.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Newer processors are more efficient, the four most expensive Mac Pros use processors that are 3 generations on from what you have and the 2.4Ghz 8 core model is faster, though not by huge amounts in single threaded performance. Your processors have been replaced by the 6-core 2.80GHz model, but a 2.66Ghz 12-core Mac pro would be a step up. A 3.33GHz 6-core would also be a big improvement, any many choose it over the 2.4GHz 8-core. With it's hyper-threading it will outperform what you have if your usage is multi-threded and it's 3.6Ghz speed via turbo boost is a massive improvement.

Not for Mac pros.

5. wh!plash macrumors member

Clock speed is not the only factor in how fast a processor is, just like engine displacement size isn't the only factor in how fast a motor vehicle moves.

Big trucks have big engines, but they're built to move heavy loads. Motorcycles have tiny engines by comparison, but blow past you at 180mph.

Other aspects of a chips architecture make a huge difference.

6. DynoMike3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is Sandy Bridge?

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Why do you need a new computer?

Depending on the workload and the types of programs / work you do, a new mac pro dual quad 2.66 as compared with your 4 year old dual quad 3ghz could be any of :

- slightly slower
    - pretty much the same speed
    - theoretically faster specs but in terms of daily workflow little noticeable or practical difference
    - far faster

It all depends on what work you do, and what takes the most time. If you don't spend much time waiting for your current computer to munch through work, you probably won't notice much difference with a faster processor.

8. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

That depends on what you use your Mac Pro for. Unless you're doing something CPU intensive such as rendering, you probably rarely use more than 10% of your CPU. These days the CPU is rarely the bottleneck. Have you considered a faster hard drive?

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Summer.

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It could be a year or more from now before Apple updates the Mac Pro, given their recent history.