Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zen6

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
This is what CBS said.

Can anyone explain how can this make any sense? Anyone is planning to buy this maximum power imac pro?

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
People bought SGI computers for more then that.

"SGI will further cut the price of its Onyx2 Reality supercomputer with two 250-MHz R10000 processors by 45 percent, to $75,000."

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodcrest64

zen6

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019

"SGI will further cut the price of its Onyx2 Reality supercomputer with two 250-MHz R10000 processors by 45 percent, to $75,000."

Mac Pro is not a supercomputer

zen6

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Some people would use a computer more than a car.
Some would make more money off a computer than they could doing Uber.
Resale value may also hold up better with the Mac I think, and has limited ongoing maintenance costs.

Linus Tech Tips had done the math and the basic model of Mac Pro price is around 200% if you buy though components separately. Dont you think that is too much?

MacDonaldTrump

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
Linus Tech Tips had done the math and the basic model of Mac Pro price is around 200% if you buy though components separately. Dont you think that is too much?

I think if you are a business running the need for such a computer you would probably be invoicing jobs enough to pay for itself rather soon. I also think the support apple offer may help some businesses pay that 200% for reassurance of such an investment.

I think cars and computers and subscription based apps all cost too much, it’s how the world is and we all feed off it.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area

And your point is? Every company sells products for more than the cost of goods. If you want your house painted I’ll bet it costs much more than the price of the paint alone at Home Depot.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

A fully upgraded mac pro might make sense for some businesses, but this comparison is just bizarre. SGI eventually went bankrupt using that business model, after peaking in the 1990s. It's also from a totally different era and doesn't fill the same niche as the mac pro does today. Supercomputers today generally run some flavor of Linux, and Apple has never made any attempt to change that. It's simply out of scope for Apple.

Apple got rid of XGrid long ago, without improving support for frameworks like mpi for distributed frameworks. They have never supported any part of Openmp, even though the open source version of Clang does. They symlink gcc to their version of Clang, which is one of the few parts that is just ridiculous nonsense, particularly considering that not all gcc flags are supported by their version of Clang. I could go on, but it's obviously not their target market.

The mac pro itself has been focused on demanding types of content creation in the past. I haven't really thought about this round, but I imagine it's not designed around a maxed out configuration. Presenting it this way just helps drive rageclicks.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
whoever is gonna get a maxed out 28 core 1.5TB Ram double MPX whammer makes a few million a year from their trade. They won't care how much it costs - certainly not more than their car! As far as you and I are concerned, we will just get a more modestly specced Mac Pro!

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois

Man is that thing ugly!
[doublepost=1559883028][/doublepost]
whoever is gonna get a maxed out 28 core 1.5TB Ram double MPX whammer makes a few million a year from their trade. They won't care how much it costs - certainly not more than their car! As far as you and I are concerned, we will just get a more modestly specced Mac Pro!
The people who truly "need" this machine aren’t personally buying it. These are for for corporate purchasers, like skybox suites and court side seats. Why do you think Apple charges $1k for a stand? They know companies will pay for it without batting an eye.

ALL enterprise products and software are insanely overpriced, because the companies will pay it and deduct it at tax time.

People should really just think of this thing as an enterprise product as opposed to say, a Ferrari or hyper car for the wealthy, as very few individuals will be buying these out of pocket.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Man is that thing ugly!
[doublepost=1559883028][/doublepost]
The people who truly "need" this machine aren’t personally buying it. These are for for corporate purchasers, like skybox suites and court side seats. Why do you think Apple charges $1k for a stand? They know companies will pay for it without batting an eye.

ALL enterprise products and software are insanely overpriced, because the companies will pay it and deduct it at tax time.

People should really just think of this thing as an enterprise product as opposed to say, a Ferrari or hyper car for the wealthy, as very few individuals will be buying these out of pocket.

What? I truly need this machine and have have done so every since I purchased a maxed out 2012 MP. I make music and that machine is on its last legs. I'll be spending whatever is the sweet spot for this machine. FYI Most people won't bother with the stand or the display, it doesn't come tied to the MP!!!!

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012

The Mac Pro is a real super computer which has similar GPU power as a Xbox One X (and soon new consoles will come out which are even more powerful)?

For $6000, just build a 32-core AMD Ryzen “Amateur/Gaming/Not-For-You” Monster PC which will run circles around most configurations of the Mac “Pro”.

There is nothing “Professional” about the Mac “Pro”. If my wedding photographer starts charging me $10.000 because he now has to edit his pictures on these severly overpriced machines, he will loose me as a client.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Don't some of you have better things to do then just make up excuses all day long for Apple? This topic is nothing but excuses

Reactions: digidow

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
The Mac Pro is a real super computer which has similar GPU power as a Xbox One X (and soon new consoles will come out which are even more powerful)?

For $6000, just build a 32-core AMD Ryzen “Amateur/Gaming/Not-For-You” Monster PC which will run circles around most configurations of the Mac “Pro”.

There is nothing “Professional” about the Mac “Pro”. If my wedding photographer starts charging me $10.000 because he now has to edit his pictures on these severly overpriced machines, he will loose me as a client.

Wedding photographers don’t need this Mac Pro. People who do advertising or commercial work maybe.

But there are different levels of work.

Reactions: JTBing and TechGod

zen6

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Wedding photographers don’t need this Mac Pro. People who do advertising or commercial work maybe.

But there are different levels of work.

Wedding photographers for riches do serious works comparing to normal people kind

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

So you are saying that a machine with an Xbox One X graphics chip is a supercomputer?

You know that the 3do was the best consumer graphics of 1993? And that was $200 more then the xbox one x! So you are trying to say that a supercomputer in 1993 would be running doom like this?

The demos in your own video disprove this, as well as other demos like this for the onyx:

Shill harder please.

michelb76

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2016
Check out offerings from boxx.com, easily goes up to 120k. 10k is nothing for machines like this and most studios earn them back in a year or on a project. HP and Dell have similar offerings. If you think you can get similar performance and expandability with your custom built AMD 32 core blabla, you're flat out wrong, and you're not in the businesses that make use of these workstations.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Rather than pricing the components separately, a better idea would be to price up a competing OEM build which actually ends up considerably more expensive.

And by the way: Linus' idea that an EATX Chassis for $300 is in any way equivalent to a workstation chassis is ludicrous. Also funny how he doesn't mention any $400+ heatsinks necessary to provide stable overhead.

He's a PC builder so he just prices components and slaps them together. There's a little more to that in a workstation computer because stability and post sales warranty is essential.

The reason he doesn't bring attention to other workstation pricing like the below is because:

1) He gets more clicks from Apple products
2) Everybody loves an opportunity to talk about Apple price gouging
3) He's possibly a little ignorant about how businesses buy and maintain workstations

Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 4.56.46 AM.png

amedias

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
Some people spend more than what a maxed out Mac Pro will cost on a wristwatch, and then will only wear it a few days a year - explain that first, then we'll talk about why someone might spend a lot of money on a production tool that they actually use for 8hrs+ a day to earn money with.

Reactions: HappyIntro

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Some people spend more than what a maxed out Mac Pro will cost on a wristwatch, and then will only wear it some days - explain that first, then we'll talk about why someone might spend a lot of money on a production tool that they actually use for 8hrs+ a day to earn money with.

This is really correct!!! Same with televisions. People will spend huge money on a tv yet when it comes to tools to earn a living with “no way”.

I looked at a watch once that was $17500 NZD I can’t afford it but I still want it.

zen6

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Rather than pricing the components separately, a better idea would be to price up a competing OEM build which actually ends up considerably more expensive.

And by the way: Linus' idea that an EATX Chassis for $300 is in any way equivalent to a workstation chassis is ludicrous. Also funny how he doesn't mention any $400+ heatsinks necessary to provide stable overhead.

He's a PC builder so he just prices components and slaps them together. There's a little more to that in a workstation computer because stability and post sales warranty is essential.

The reason he doesn't bring attention to other workstation pricing like the below is because:

3) He's possibly a little ignorant about how businesses buy and maintain workstations

View attachment 841467

I honestly dont think this mac pro three fans anti heat idea would work very well if someone push thr machine to 100% load all day long. There isnt any fan or anything to actively pull out the heat.
[doublepost=1559895804][/doublepost]

View attachment 841467

It only starts at $3395, enough to buy 3 Apple monitor stands
STzRiDG.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.