Apples TRIM support in their SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMackPro, Apr 23, 2011.

1. iMackPro macrumors 6502

I bought my new MBP with an APPLE SSD. Therefore i have trim enabled on my computer. Since its already enabled, if i were to buy a another SSD, maybe like a 500 Gig will TRIM still be suppored since my computer already has it enabled? ALso, if i buy another SSD can my MBP handle the 6.0GB/sec transfer rate or is that only for iMacs?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TRIM is only enabled for Apple's SSDs. To enable it for 3rd party SSDs, you must use TRIM Enabler. MBP's HD bay is SATA 6Gb/s.

3. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

So since i have it enabled now on this apple SSD my computer will recognize my new SSD and turn the factory TRIM support off? and does apples OEM SSD have the 6.0 G sata connection?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For the new SSD TRIM will be disabled. If you have both SSDs in it, then the Apple one should still have TRIM enabled.

Nope, it's SATA 3Gb/s.

5. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you for all your help, would you mind telling me how much of a difference ill notice in the following areas? even if its just a guessimate!

Boot time
    Opening apps
    Read/write
    running apps
    Encoding!

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Boot time, maybe a couple seconds faster, depending on the SSD
    Opening apps, a tiny bit faster, probably only noticeably on big apps like PS, etc.
    Read/write depends on what you are reading or writing, but the numbers should be included with whatever you buy
    Running apps and encoding won't be different at all.

7. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

you're 2/2 in helping me advance my knowledge today! good job mate! thanks again!

Im really most interested in boot time and read/write. so it looks like i should make the purchase! Now i just have to decide where to buy.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Vertex 3, which is the fastest SSD on market, boots in about 20 secs. I've seen the same for Apple SSD. Of course, give or take a couple of secs. In the end, there are lots of other factors that affect the boot time as well.

[​IMG]

While those SSDs are now outdated, it shows that the difference between different SSDs is minimal when opening apps.

Apple SSD - 220MB/s read & 180MB/s write
    OCZ Vertex 3 - 550MB/s read & 500MB/s write

Minimal to no difference. Running apps and encoding is usually dependent on something else, usually RAM and CPU.