Apple's TV App Expanding to Seven Countries, Starting With Canada and Australia Later This Month

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its TV app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV will be expanding to seven additional countries by the end of the year.

[​IMG]

The app will be released in Canada and Australia later this month, followed by France, Germany, Sweden, Norway, and the UK by the end of the year. The app has been available in the United States only until now.

Apple's TV app simplifies the television-watching experience, and helps users discover new TV shows and movies to watch. The app provides a unified experience for accessing TV shows and movies across multiple video apps.

The announcement was made by Apple's services chief Eddy Cue during the company's iPhone X event at the Steve Jobs Theater today.

Article Link: Apple's TV App Expanding to Seven Countries, Starting With Canada and Australia Later This Month

2. randomdude macrumors regular

Does this use the Country your account is in? Or does it use the region you're currently in?

3. whyamihere macrumors regular

whyamihere

I hope the app is more useful in those countries than it has been in US.

4. MrZippyUK macrumors newbie

Will be interesting as only UK channel with an app is BBC iPlayer, despite them all having iOS apps.

Netflix and NowTV are available, although the NowTV app is bugggy and basically an Apple TV 3 app ported and never updated.

Anyway hopefully this means they’ve worked with UK networks to get their apps on the Apple TV.

5. Joseph H macrumors 6502

ITV and Channel 5 are confirmed to be joining the UK lineup meaning that only Channel 4 won’t be on board of the main networks.

6. LosLoco macrumors member

Seriously - Sweden and Norway, but not Denmark?
    Most service providers are cross-Scandinavian, so that makes no sense at all...

7. benryanmills macrumors newbie

Source of confirmation?

8. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

They showed a list of channels during the presentation and none were UK - were they all from the first two countries (Australia and.. Canada, was it?)?

9. Joseph H macrumors 6502

The Keynote ... there was a slide with the partners for the international launch countries of TV app... and ITV and My5 were on it.

10. Ballis macrumors 6502a

11. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

ITV and My5 were both shown.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    Apple should have partnered with TVPlayer to bring freeview through the internet and in to the Apple TV.

TVPlayer already have an app on the Apple TV and for other iOS devices, but having it within the TV app would be an advantage.

12. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

This was the only pleasant surprise announcement during the keynote and I’m glad to see Canadian channels CBC and CityTV in there.

Pity no news on the News app. I still don’t get why there has to be any country restrictions for an app that accesses plenty of news sites and blogs on the open web that doesn’t have any borders.

13. dauthiatull macrumors member

dauthiatull

the canadian app will be as neutered as all other canadian streaming apps

14. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

This was the most exciting thing for me to hear today being in Canada. The selection looks a little limited, CBC, Treehouse (for the kids), CityTV, FX Now (need a cable subscription), and CraveTV (Bells Netflix knockoff, but it has some decent HBO and Showtime content).
    I'm looking forward to this.

15. MrZippyUK macrumors newbie

In theory yes, we use TVplayer (free channels) to supplement Netflix, Amazon prime and NowTV. Anyway video quality is poor and often freezes or goes out of sync, don’t think Apple would touch this as not premium quality and no HD.

16. Joseph H macrumors 6502

Hopefully BBC, ITV and C5 will support “Live Tune In”...!

17. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

good to see ITV and My5 joining  TV, but why so late?

hopefully Channel 4 will follow suit, although if it’s anything like the webOS app (LG TV user) they might as well not bother if it restricts US content. I have to use a Roku stick if I want to watch shows like The Big Bang Theory as it wont play on anything else.

still waiting for an update for the Now TV app too, an updated app on most platforms (including webOS, Roku etc) but the  TV app sucks completely compared to everyone else.

I’m surprised the TV app wont be coming to the UK until later this year, was hopeful it would be available this month alongside Australia and Canada.

18. mxmgodin macrumors member

mxmgodin

I hope it'll push Bell to release an actual Apple TV app for the TMN GO service, too. I'm tired of having to use AirPlay for that. They could make one for CTV GO, while they're at it, too.

If anything, I'm surprised to see Canada included in the first international push of the TV app. I got accustomed to waiting a long time after Apple (like you said, Apple News still not released here).

19. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Ah, so they are. Is My5 channel 5's online system?

That actually makes me less optimistic. If they have ITV and C5 on there then that end the theory that they just aren't ready to show the UK partners yet. Let's hope BBC and C4 get added before release.