Apple's Updated iPod Nano to Lose Click Wheel?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 26, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPodNN reports on a new research note from Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu claiming that Apple may be preparing a significant redesign for its iPod nano that could see the device shrink in size and lose its physical click wheel. While Wu hedges his bets about whether the new design will actually be released, if true it would presumably be introduced at Apple's media event scheduled for next Wednesday.
    Wu apparently has not offered claims on what would replace the click wheel for navigation purposes on the revamped device. An Apple-branded square display measuring 1.7 inches on the diagonal did surface early last month, although that size and aspect ratio would mark a significant departure from the current iPod nano display.

The report also claims that Apple is likely to follow last year's trend of maintaining a previous-generation iPod touch at the entry-level point of that line, while higher-end redesigned iPod touches will gain the expected high-resolution Retina display and FaceTime-capable camera.

Finally, Wu does not expect a revamped Apple TV to make its debut at the media event, citing the early date for the event and the clear focus on music suggested by the guitar image used on the invitation.

All of these claims should be taken with a grain of salt, however, as Wu has a very poor track record for predictions. In recent months, he has incorrectly predicted Mac Pro and MacBook Air updates and an iTunes.com launch at WWDC in June, as well as a delay in the iPad's launch until June.

Article Link: Apple's Updated iPod Nano to Lose Click Wheel?

2. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I like the clickwheel.:( Going the same way as the shuffle - that just plain sucks.

4. wildspin macrumors newbie

I don't know why this guy is kept mentioned about on these rumors sites, he has never been on spot not even for once. Poor Kaufmann bros' clients, are they investing their money based on this guy's predictions?

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

6. bartelby macrumors Core

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

You better either have tiny fingers or this thing is going to be hard to use. Touch screens make sense on larger screens, however on very small screens it seems the click wheel is a better choice of control.

Apple took a huge step backwards on the Shuffle. I hope they don't do the same with the Nano.

8. Scott549 macrumors regular

I like the clickwheel too but it would make sense to see what they are replacing it with before deciding whether it sucks.

9. brucem91 macrumors 6502

No clickwheel is such a bad idea. It's the one thing I hate about my iPhone, it makes changing music much harder while driving. I currently have my old iPod 5th Gen Video, but it's in horrible condition(thanks sister!!!), and the right ear won't work. Once I was able to, I was planning on buying a new iPod. They BETTER have clickwheels!

10. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

11. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

12. VictoriaStudent macrumors regular

VictoriaStudent

shaw wu is the most ridiculous & pointless analyst ever..at least when it comes to Apple.

what is the point of him even opining? And, even more to the point, why does any media outlet reprint his fantastic guesswork?

he'd be better off writing for The Onion..uh, errr, except he's not funny.

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it could be a multitouch screen...

you'd have to do multitouch gestures to navigate through your playlist and play songs

14. VictoriaStudent macrumors regular

VictoriaStudent

exactly. which is why there is no point in even speculating..in a thread..about anything he lays claim to.

15. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I've thought about this since the findings of the small Apple touchscreen...what if it IS meant for the Nano, but instead of being the actual screen of the device, it's goes in place of the click wheel? Take the picture above...keep the same format, but replace that click wheel with the small touchscreen that's been photographed/rumored for an upcoming device. Basically a Nano with a secondary, probably limited resolution, touchscreen below the primary screen that adds additional features and doubles as the touchpad/clickwheel? Kind of how people have been wanting a touchpad on the MacBooks that doubles as a small secondary screen.

16. mertkutluk macrumors newbie

Guys is there any predictions about iPod Classic. Am i only person who waits fpr it? :)

17. TheSlush macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My prediction: The iPod Classic is dead.

They MIGHT keep selling it for another year. Heck, maybe even two. But I don't think it has any more updates left in it. What you see on Apple.com right now is probably it. They'll keep selling them until people stop buying them, but that's about it.

19. iWonderwhy macrumors 6502

iWonderwhy

Meh, this guy has a poor track record, he knows nothing more than we do.

20. shakesville macrumors newbie

He has a point......

With the guitar image up from Apple its pretty obvious whats gonna be unleashed now:
    New designed Nano, 2" touchscreen will be similar style control to mobile phone manufactures 'd' pad found on most handsets, only it will display large icon buttons for playback, swipe to skip etc etc
    Definately some sort of cloud based iTunes update

As for Apple TV update well I think that'll fall next month once the agreements are in place from the various studios involved, this will then mark the new yearly update spot for the revamped Apple TV as the iMac will now more than likely become a summer update to entice the college students back to the mac each September....
    It would be awesome if they were to make the new update possible for current Apple TV owners but thats wishful thinking, or is it? I'm sure the current version could handle ios4, fingers crossed hey?!

21. Edmoil12 macrumors member

Wow, if the classic is EOL'd, then in under 10 years the ipod could go from having an iconic UI in the clickwheel to becoming obsolete in record time.

22. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

That was a look of horror yes,

23. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I want the classic with flash memory.

24. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

That's it exactly. Think of the touchpad RIM's been using on the latest blackberries made larger to allow for a two-finger multitouch swipe. You'd use it the same way you use a iPod Touch screen, except instead of touching the alphabetical list to the right, you two finger swipe to step though.

That'd pretty damned well trump the click wheel in all regards. If built into a nano with glass front, it'd be possible to make it any colour, and all but invisible, too.

You heard it here first. :)

25. akm3 macrumors 68020

Nope, Katy Huberty is by far the dumbest. She was the one screaming SELL SELL SELL when the stock was at $78