Apple's v2 Processor: Hello Games!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mykbibby, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

2. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Interesting, but I don't know why AI is so sure that it is Apple that licensed the chip. It is possible that if it is Apple, that it might be used in the rumored MID device.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Very interesting. So assuming it's true (by no means certain)...this new processor would be backwards compatible, which is great for applications currently in development, but the big downside here is suddenly making everything obsolete. If Apple comes out with this anytime soon, developers will target the new specs, and that means that almost all games wouldn't work with the entire existing iPhone market share. Ouch.

Especially since the SDK isn't even out yet. Can you imagine Apple giving developers half a year to develop for a certain platform, and then suddenly changing the platform specs almost immediately after opening up the platform to third party apps? There would be quite an outcry, from both devs that missed a chance to create better apps and from users who bought the old iPhone that now can't run new apps.

That would make me question whether this would be going into the next revision, or a later revision down the road, perhaps next year.

But man, HD video output in a mobile device. That's insane :D

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) Dominated the PC world? I think they're the best computers, but you at least need a double-digit market share to "dominate."

2) Nintendo has sold 70.6 million Nintendo DS units worldwide. Those are exclusively for portable gaming. Apple has sold between 4 and 5 million iPhones. Not exactly dominance yet, nor will it be considering parents don't have to pay $60/month for a Nintendo DS. The iPhone will probably have some neat games, but hold yer horses on all this "domination" talk. Maybe we should actually see a game in action first.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup- especially as the iPhone has a very, very small amount of exclusive games. There's a Spore port, a Super Monkey Ball title, and a couple others...but no killer apps. Plenty of companies have said they'll be making iPhone games, but the question remains whether they'll actually be top-notch titles or market-flooding crapware. For every good DS game, there's a dozen crapware.

6. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

LOL! HP and Dell dominate the PC industry, Apple dominate digital distribution, not the music industry, Nokia dominate the mobile phone industry and Nintendo dominate the mobile gaming industry.

I love realism!

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Isn't that what is exactly planned to happen? With respect to GPS, with respect to 3G, with respect to an upgraded camera, possible second camera for video calling, with respect to potentially a different screen, updated hardware in general. Some apps will only be relevant for the v2 iPhones. That's life.

In terms of some developers having inside info - don't you think that Apple has already done this with specific companies (Google, Yahoo, maybe a GPS company? We saw when they demo'd the SDK that they'd already given some people e.g. EA a headstart.)

Also - look at the US versus the UK - As far as I know, the UK is not allowed to actually get total use of the SDK on their phones currently in app development, as the invites are US only at this point. (This may have changed).

Do old iPod owners outcry they can't do touchscreen coverflow on their iPod?
    Do iBook owners outcry there's no multitouch upgrade?

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's a very different matter when we're talking about a platform. Imagine if Apple had sprung the Intel switch on us 6 months after the release of OS X- everyone who bought the new OS X machines would have been ticked, and all of the developers who started building PowerPC optimized Cocoa apps would have thrown a fit.

Opening up the platform to third parties and IMMEDIATELY changing the hardware specs is a bad move. The reason your comparisons don't work is this. The iPod isn't a platform, with ridiculously limited available apps that only work on a limited amount of models. The iBook isn't a small dedicated device.

It's hard to explain the difference, but really, think about it. With a PC, apps eventually come out that outstrip the PC, and over time your computer seems slower and slower compared to the apps you want to run. With smaller, dedicated devices, though, apps either run or don't run. You're not going to be comparing your system specs, CPU power to system requirements to run iPhone apps and then worrying about framerates. It either runs on your model, or doesn't.

Adding 3G and GPS does not pose an issue to devs, because most apps will not care- only specialized apps that use GPS will refuse to run on old iPhone models.
    Overhauling the internals means suddenly making the old iPhones unable to run any of the new apps coming out, which is not something anyone will complain about a year from now, but doing it BEFORE third party apps have been released or within a month of the store's launch is just going to be a mess.

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's a pickle for them. the logistics of the App Store haven't yet been fleshed out (can you do demos, limited time demos, demos that can update to the full app ? etc).
    How many developers actually have the golden tickets from Apple? What's to say that once NDA'd, they've been given access to more details about the future road map, and a SDK with more functions?

Logically, they aren't going to announce SDK features only relevant to the v2 iPhone till they've announced the 3G iPhone
    Logically, they might want as you say, more time between having a change in hardware specs (i.e. the 3G iPhone release) and the updated SDK available.

But, put it another way. Apple has sold say 4 million iPhones. They're going to be producing that quantity in roughly May and June combined, if rumours are to be believed.

Apple could easily filter between the two versions (Does your iPhone have SGOLD2 or SGOLD3? Ok, you can have these apps, and you can have these ones too...)

Why would developers be so myopic, to not realise that there was a possible large hardware shift coming in the second version of the iPhone?
    The rumors have been rife and they've been here for a while.
    Wouldn't developers go
    - I wonder if the next gen iPhone will have a larger screen size, or a better ppi?
    - I wonder if the next gen iPhone will have more features such as better accelerometers?

etc.

The article basically predicts better visuals, with better video (HD) support.

In terms of visuals, this is more apparent on games. So now people know that you need the v2 iPhone for the fancy games potentially, if there becomes a 2 tier system. In terms of video HD support - My view is that Apple has been hard at work with integration of HD and video playing and recording and uploading, and v2 3G iPhone will show the fruit of that R&D.

Some of the work so far developing will need to be rewritten. Not "everything" is obsolete. Some, but not all. There will be pain from this, but at the end of the day, it's developers complaining because Apple has made the hardware for the iPhone better too fast.

Hmmmm. I can imagine customers won't complain about that much.

The advancements may not be seen in the v2 iPhone anyhow. It could be a late 08 release, or an 09 release for example. (as you said: whether this would be going into the next revision, or a later revision down the road, perhaps next year)

Good developers would target both specs. Some may cherry pick. As mentioned - in terms of numbers, the upgraded spec iPhone (with or without the chips mentioned in the article) will outnumber the v1 iPhone within 3 months i'd say.
    At the very least - They're saying 10 million by December 08. Assume 4 million sold up to June. Release by end of June. That means the updated version outnumbers the old version by November say, i.e. 7 months time. I'd expect parity in numbers to be much before that.

Old iPhone users won't get some apps. That's an incentive to upgrade. They don't have to.

But man, HD video output in a mobile device. That's insane

This is a huge part. So is Google gonna bust Smugmug out of the water? (they're using Adobe h264 in Flash) Seeing as Google owns Youtube, why won't they come out guns ablasing - Apple has to do something to protect Quicktime from Silverlight (which is going to get huge numbers due to the Olympics) and say AIR (potentially).
    Which might link into http://scobleizer.com/2008/04/30/youtube-working-on-live-streaming/
    and maybe also
    Most interesting to us: His allusion to new, previously undisclosed plans to extract money out of YouTube, which cost Google (GOOG) $1.65 billion in 2006 but hasn't generated more than a trickle of cash to date:
    This from alleyinsider

"BARTIROMO: Which is a huge priority, clearly. A lot of people feel like this is an amazing opportunity for you. So, as far as monetizing that business on YouTube, do you think that takes a year? Does it take the next five years? What's your time frame on that?

Dr. SCHMIDT: We believe the best products are coming out this year. And they're new products. They're not announced. They're not just putting in-line ads in the things that people are trying. But we have a number--and, of course, Google is an innovative place. The Yahoo! team are trying various new forms of advertising, ones which are much more participative, much more creative, much more--much more interesting in and of themselves. Google believes that advertising itself has value. The ads literally are valuable to consumers. Not just to the advertisers, but the consumers."

Apple's gotta work out what to do with data usage for video too. Fun times.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Apple would never be so idiotically stupid as to split the iPhone market entirely right at the beginning of its third-party life. 3G and GPS are one thing, they don't affect any current apps. But any significant speed difference means a game would have to be programmed for one system or the other, or the developer would have to go to a lot of effort to make it run fine on both setups. Which pretty much means nobody would write anything supporting the new processor, because game developers aren't morons, they'll go after the existing 7 million customers rather than the new zero customers.

And the SDK is a free download, everyone can download it and see that OpenGL ES 2.0 is not supported.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's the entire gaming industry. Every movie or TV show MUST have at least one video game based on it. Therefore, our shelves are flooded with crap like "Sing with Hannah Montana!" I've had a DS for about a year and a half now and haven't played it in months because of the lack of good games (ones I'm willing to pay $35 for). That's why I don't see the iPhone "dominating" any gaming stuff. There will be a flood of crap along with a few worth getting. Games on a phone are really meant to just kind of entertain you when you get a little bored. You're not going to play World of Warcraft on a phone.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

iPhone isn't out to dominate in this market - it's out to get sales of the iPhone, get spread of Safari, iTunes etc. In terms of games, Apple holds the keys to the app store - they can be as tight or as lax as they want on the standard of games coming through. With an app store, they can easily incorporate a ranking hierarchy of games, much as Steam does. Spore and the like seem to be fully fledged games in production, so not all will be 2 minutes here, 3 there (e.g. Snake). And WoW? Well, stranger things have happened (I could imagine someone trying to port it anyhow- Second Life has been played on an Apple ][ www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZHJa91JHk

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I was wrong. Beta 5 of the SDK hints at a future where we have more choices than just OpenGL ES 1.0.