Apple's video cards arent enough...

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
Why does Apple only offer computers with 64MB of video Ram when most PC manufacturers offer a minimum of 128 and upgradeable to 256 or even 512. Isn't the whole purpose of building a "better" machine for videos, photos, and gaming (Apples apparent mantra) to include the best hardware support for those functions.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
umdjb said:
I was referring to previous macs like powerbook line.
iPhoto only needs Quartz Extreme. I have a GeForce 2 MX with 32 MB in an iMac G4. iPhoto 6 flies on that 4 year old machine. Quartz Extreme is an integral component for OS X and most pro applications. The video RAM is secondary. As long as you have a Radeon or a GeForce 2 you're set.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Ha.... wait till the Power Macs get the Intels inside...

I bet we can use any PC grfx card in them, as long as Apple has a driver...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
umdjb said:
Why does Apple only offer computers with 64MB of video Ram when most PC manufacturers offer a minimum of 128 and upgradeable to 256 or even 512. Isn't the whole purpose of building a "better" machine for videos, photos, and gaming (Apples apparent mantra) to include the best hardware support for those functions.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks!
It forces you to buy a new machine sooner.:) or It makes you opt for a Pro Model to have middle grade graphics.:) There I explained it.