Apple's Video Editing App 'Clips' Downloaded Up to 1 Million Times in First 4 Days

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new video editing app Clips, released on April 6, saw between 500,000 and 1 million downloads during its first four days of availability, according to estimates from app analytics firm App Annie that were shared with TechCrunch.

Following its release, Clips climbed to the number 28 spot in the U.S. App Store, but it hasn't managed to attain a higher rank as of yet. In comparison, Apple's Music Memos app, which is aimed at a smaller number of users, reached number 29 during its first day of availability.

Since its release, Clips' App Store ranking has declined. On Thursday, it was number 28, but on Saturday, it dropped to 39 and today it's ranked as the number 53 app. Clips may grow in popularity as it's discovered by iOS users. Apple is featuring it in the App Store and is listed in the "New Apps We Love" section.
"The average user is not yet aware of it," notes Danielle Levitas, Senior Vice President, Research & Professional Services at App Annie. "They'll start to become more aware of it through that network effect as people share these clips in Facebook, in Instagram, in WeChat," she says. Clips does not have its own built in social network, so it will rely on these shares.
Clips, as the name suggests, lets users combine several video clips, images, and photos with voice-based titles, music, filters, and graphics to create enhanced videos that are up to an hour in length.

Videos created with Clips can be shared via the Messages app or shared on various social networks like Instagram and Facebook, but there's no built-in social networking capabilities that could allow the app to compete with apps like Snapchat.

Clips can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple's Video Editing App 'Clips' Downloaded Up to 1 Million Times in First 4 Days

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
It may be being downloaded, but I sure as **** ain't see any apple clips in my feeds/stories/etc yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

sevoneone

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
I have to say, once I actually used it, the more impressed I was by it. You can make a fun, Buzz Feed like 20 second video really fast with music and titles. There are a few features I wish it had out of the box, like being able to customize fonts and colors, but they are likely to add that in the future. There are also some not so obvious features that are really nice once you discover them, like pinching to zoom/move a photo while holding the record button allows you to "Ken Burns" the photo.

It isn't a perfect app, but it is fun and I hope they keep it around.

Reactions: Ntombi

JosephAW

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2012
Does anyone else think these numbers are overinflated? No one that I know that has an iPhone has downloaded this yet.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Everyone is cynical, as usual.

Has anyone complaining about the numbers or how it got there actually tried it out?

FYI, it works really freaking well.

guzhogi

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Downloaded by a million users, used once then forgotten/deleted by 995,000 of them a day later.
It may be being downloaded, but I sure as **** ain't see any apple clips in my feeds/stories/etc yet.
This is why I don't care too much about these "This app downloaded X times in the first Y Days!" stories. Of course you get a bunch of the curious, "Let's see what it's like" people. Plus, anything Apple branded sells like hot cakes. Has no relevance on how good an app it really is. Let's see see what it's like in a month, 6 months, a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Everyone is cynical, as usual.

Has anyone complaining about the numbers or how it got there actually tried it out?

FYI, it works really freaking well.
it does work, as does imovie, etc, but it's so much quicker to make a IG / snapchat video/story post within the app so most people don't bother to "build a video" from pieces.

I'll be curious to see if some Apple Clip videos start showing up in any of my feeds soon. I'd like for them to, assuming they use the app to the fullest, but if it's just "here's a video of me doing something", I doubt anyone will bother.

The other issue is story videos are full screen portrait videos, whereas Clips is a square video, meaning it will be cropped on the sides if shared in your story... which is an issue that I hope they adjust soon.