Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How has your Apple tech support experience been?

• Good

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Indifferent (or not applicable)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I know there have been those in these forums and others that have had problems with AppleCare taking care of issues. I do not discount the severity of those problems. It's just that no stories with happy endings ever end up on these forums.

I recently purchased (four months ago) a refurb rev2 iMac G5 (1.8GHz, Radeon 9600, 17", 250GB hard drive, 1GB of memory) and the hard drive started to have issues...the system partition has gotten corrupted a couple times over the last month. Last Friday, I ran the Apple Hardware test CD and came up with an error in the mass storage. I got on the phone to Apple, read them my error message, and they directed me to a site to order my hard drive. It didn't cost me a penny. I got the hard drive on Monday (whoa) and after running the AHT again, it got a clean bill of health. I packed the bad HD in the box they sent me and shipped it off to Apple this morning.

The really shocking thing is the price they were going to charge had I not sent it back...like $510 or something... :eek:

So I know I can't be the only person Apple tech support has helped...anybody else?

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
DougTheImpaler said:
I know there have been those in these forums and others that have had problems with AppleCare taking care of issues. I do not discount the severity of those problems. It's just that no stories with happy endings ever end up on these forums.

I recently purchased (four months ago) a refurb rev2 iMac G5 (1.8GHz, Radeon 9600, 17", 250GB hard drive, 1GB of memory) and the hard drive started to have issues...the system partition has gotten corrupted a couple times over the last month. Last Friday, I ran the Apple Hardware test CD and came up with an error in the mass storage. I got on the phone to Apple, read them my error message, and they directed me to a site to order my hard drive. It didn't cost me a penny. I got the hard drive on Monday (whoa) and after running the AHT again, it got a clean bill of health. I packed the bad HD in the box they sent me and shipped it off to Apple this morning.

The really shocking thing is the price they were going to charge had I not sent it back...like $510 or something... :eek:

So I know I can't be the only person Apple tech support has helped...anybody else?

My AppleCare person for my iPood Video was friendly and reliable. Also, they were quick offering a solution. They were very helpful on how to ship it to them.But, I just retuned it and bought a newCreative Zen. Oh: The hard drive was defective.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
...I had good service as well...I have the same machine but bought it new.
A few months in I got a SMART alert telling me my drive was going to fail,
I brought it in and the reatler said the new drive was on order nut they didn't know when it would come from Apple?????? well i freaked...phoned Apple...got a rep on the linee and ripped into him...saying I want a new machine or..a new drive...NOW! He said he would call back...which he did within 15 minutes, said he put out a search on his database for a new drive but wouldn't know till tomorrow...I said no good...he then said if the drive would take longer he woulf give me a $300 credit to renting a hard drive from the retailer.. no money out of my pocket!
The next day,,,the drive arrived to the store via FedEx and I had my machine that day!!!
I don't know but they were pretty fair with me,,,,but I did have to raise a stink!
R

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Fortunately I have not had to use AppleCare on any of my own computers (/knock on wood), but I did have to help a friend out when the HD in her Powerbook died. We went to the Applestore in Burnsville and they checked it out, agreed the HD was dead in about 1 minute, and sent it out for repair that day. The next day she got a package containing her fixed PB and was up and running again. She was without her laptop for no more than 20 hours, and it cost her nothing. And that was with it being shipped to Memphis (from MN) and back! I was fairly impressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.