Apple's Wearables Category Sets New Q2 Revenue Record of $5.1 Billion, Cook Says AirPods Are a 'Cultural Phenomenon'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple CFO Luca Maestri today said that Apple's Wearables, Home, and Accessories category, which includes devices like the AirPods and the Apple Watch, set a new March quarter revenue record of $5.1 billion.

According to Maestri, AirPods demands continues to be "off the charts," and Apple is "working hard to catch up with the incredible customer demand" for the earbuds. Earlier in the call, Apple CEO Tim Cook called AirPods a "cultural phenomenon."

Last month we introduced new AirPods, the second generation of the world's most popular wireless headphones. Demand has been incredible. This is nothing less than a cultural phenomenon. With a new Apple-designed H1 chip, the new AirPods deliver faster connect times, more talk time, and the convenience of hands free "Hey Siri."
As for Apple Watch, it continues to be the best selling smart watch in the world, with three quarters of Apple Watch sales during the quarter going to first time Apple Watch owners.

The Apple Watch saw its best quarterly results for a non-holiday quarter, and Apple's wearables business saw growth close to 50 percent in Q2 2019. Apple's wearables business has now reached the size of a Fortune 200 company, which Cook said is "an amazing statistic" since it's only been four years since the Apple Watch was introduced.

Article Link: Apple's Wearables Category Sets New Q2 Revenue Record of $5.1 Billion, Cook Says AirPods Are a 'Cultural Phenomenon'

Reactions: jeremiah256

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Apple ain’t going nowhere. No matter what people say. Yeah they’re losing customers, but the good far outweighs the bad.

NickName99

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2018
I see AirPods everywhere. I saw a postal delivery driver wearing them the other day. They don’t block your hearing at all, so they’re actually pretty safe to wear while driving.

Apple probably made more from AirPods than they did from iMacs last quarter.

mlody

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Please add iOS notes integration for the Apple Watch
I need Apple to fix the dam Watch OS including messages, reminders and calendar before adding anything new. I am pissed to oblivion that icloud messages on Apple Watch do not sync with my macs and ios devices. The calendars and reminders work whenever they feel. Usually my Office 365 calendar will stop working - AW reboot usually fixes it but on serveral occasions I had to resync the data or worse repair it. The reminders are all jacked up, including the icloud one - one day I will see my reminders, next day they will show zero - no rhyme or reason. These are several things I relay on day by day basis and they fail miserably to the point I am considering selling my watch as it ruins the overall Apple 'it just works' expirience.

Reactions: martyjmclean

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I see AirPods everywhere. I saw a postal delivery driver wearing them the other day. They don’t block your hearing at all, so they’re actually pretty safe to wear while driving.

Apple probably made more from AirPods than they did from iMacs last quarter.
I put one in while driving. It serves as my bluetooth headset, plus I can listen to podcasts.

Reactions: NickName99

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Soon as I step out of my home, I see these everywhere. I had mine since day one, working the same as the first day and have no desire to upgrade to the new ones. Never in a million years, I can go back to wired ones. For me they are Dinosaurs.

Reactions: NickName99

seriouslyjaded

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Love my airpods but would love them more with (in no particular order);

1) Matt textured surface so they aren’t so damn slippery and droppable.
2) longer battery life.
3) a case that doesn’t care which airpod I put in which slot.
4) better sound.
5) noise cancelling

Perhaps the next gen will cover some of these things as the leaks seem to indicate.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Love my airpods but would love them more with (in no particular order);

1) Matt textured surface so they aren’t so damn slippery and droppable.
2) longer battery life.
3) a case that doesn’t care which airpod I put in which slot.
4) better sound.
5) noise cancelling

Perhaps the next gen will cover some of these things as the leaks seem to indicate.
Number 4 on your list is "better sound" How can you "Love my airpods" but point-out the sound needs improving? They're earphones, their only job is to provide sound and if you feel the sound needs improving then they're not good earphones.

It's like saying I love my shoes I just wish they didn't have holes in the soles.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Number 4 on your list is "better sound" How can you "Love my airpods" but point-out the sound needs improving? They're earphones, their only job is to provide sound and if you feel the sound needs improving then they're not good earphones.

It's like saying I love my shoes I just wish they didn't have holes in the soles.
That’s extremely terrible logic you are applying.

He didn’t say, I love my AirPods but they have poor sound.

He said I love my AirPods but I want BETTER sound.

And it’s really the consensus for many people with AirPods. Love them, but better sound would be great.

Just because there is room for improvement doesn’t mean you cannot love a product.

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
It took awhile, but now AirPods are everywhere. Ingenious marketing since everyone knows what they are and who makes them.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
And....a ‘live steps’ counter would be an outstanding addition to the health aspect of the watch.
While it would be nice, I don't think it'll ever happen. Apple hasn't put any focus on step-counting. It's all about the "rings". Also, the step counting with the AW is "dicey" in my experience. It's not at all accurate. I've found that the old 6G iPod nano worn on your belt is the most accurate pedometer ever (personal hyperbole).

seriouslyjaded

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

Not sure I follow your logic. The sound from airpods is adequate but the shortcomings are mitigated by their convenience. It would be nice if they sounded better, fuller, deeper in addition to being convenient.

Reactions: I7guy

LeeW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
My last set of wireless earphones died so I bought the new airpods today, really happy with them and surprisingly they fit very well and don't feel like they would fall out. A reason I avoided buying them in the past. Monday at the gym will confirm.

I am no audiophile but I can say they deliver a sound that was better than my last pair, instantly noticeable, albeit they were only $50 compared to airpods $199. good or bad in a true audiophiles view I am more than happy with them.

That I can put them back in the case and they charge on the go is a welcome benefit.

Overall very pleased.