Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Wearables, Home, and Accessories category saw strong growth during the third fiscal quarter of 2021, Apple CEO Tim Cook said during today's earnings call.

applewatchseroundup.jpg

The category brought in $8.8 billion, up 36 percent from $6.5 billion in the year-ago quarter. According to Cook, the category set a new all-time June quarter revenue record.

Wearables, Home, and Accessories includes the Apple Watch, AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, HomePod, Beats headphones, and more. AirTags is in this category, and Cook said that the response to AirTag has been "enthusiastic" and "very strong."

Nearly 75 percent of customers who purchased an Apple Watch during the quarter were new to the Apple Watch, and Apple Watch is one of the main drivers of wearables revenue.

Article Link: Apple's Wearables, Home and Accessories Category Sets New June Quarter Revenue Record of $8.8 Billion

kyemaloy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
It’s insane that 6 years later that 75% of watch customers are new to the Apple watch.

Seems YOY it’s picking up more and more of the user base. I remember when I got my series 0 my dad said it was useless, 3 years later he had one. Same with AirPods (he’s currently wanting some AirPods Pro).

Reactions: Shanghaichica

TVreporter

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Insane numbers - my wife got the Series 6 and loves it. I’m not a big watch guy and still on the fence whether I want to get one.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I still remember when the pundits, experts, and journalists disparaged the original Apple Watch as a “flop” and a niche product could never become Apple’s next blockbuster hardware device.

It turns out that 1) Watch was just a few years ahead of its time and 2) Apple’s next blockbuster device turned out to be a category (wearables) instead of a single product.

macscreenwriter

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Part of those Apple Watch sales are coming from customer service scam artists within AT&T who offer unauthorized discounts, don't document their transactions so they don't get busted, don't follow through, and their Customer Retention department doesn't give a rip and doesn't lift a finger to make things right.

One customer service person I recently encountered when I had a similar experience admitted that there was a problem within the organization where people were being ripped off. They told me they would be putting me on a list of people who had been ripped off. Nothing has ever come of it.:mad: Tim might want to have a chat with AT&T because this could blow up in his face and Apple could be dragged into it.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
2) Apple’s next blockbuster device turned out to be a category (wearables) instead of a single product.
I hadn’t thought of it this way. But this strikes me as exactly right. If they really do get sophisticated health sensors, like blood pressure or glucose, into these things sales will really be bonkers.

boak

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2021
The general consensus on the original Apple Watch was not wrong. It was after Apple went for the health angle that people started to see the usefulness. Tons of health metrics and things like fall detection etc. These are the things that really nudged people over the line to get the Watch.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
So forcing S3 users to reset their devices in order to install WatchOS updates is working. I'm only half joking here.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It’s insane that 6 years later that 75% of watch customers are new to the Apple watch.

Seems YOY it’s picking up more and more of the user base. I remember when I got my series 0 my dad said it was useless, 3 years later he had one. Same with AirPods (he’s currently wanting some AirPods Pro).
Same with my dad. Although he has a Samsung watch. He was always like this though. I got the OG Samsung galaxy note and he laughed at me and said the phone was too big and looked ridiculous. Switch forward to 2014 and he got the galaxy note 4. He loved my iPhone 6 Plus but said it was too expensive and got the note 4. When Apple Watch came out back in 2015 and he saw mine he said it was silly, pointless and a waste of money. Then in 2019 he got himself a Samsung watch. Same with my AirPods. I got the first get when they came out. He said they were a waste of money and looked silly. A couple of years later he got the Samsung buds.

mook

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Not surprising, Apple Watch is one of Apple's best products at the moment IMO, exceptionally well thought out interactions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.