Apple's Wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmac88, Jul 8, 2009.

1. kmac88 macrumors member

Hi, i am going to order a 15inch macbook pro pretty soon, but trying to decide whether i should order a wireless keyboard with it. I do alot of photoshoping, cad works for architecture projects and web browsing. Do you think I should get the wireless keyboard? Would i need it?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The MBP already has a keyboard...
    I really don't understand why people would want another keyboard...

3. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Well, until you dont have external display, why would you think about getting new keyboard? Ahh it brings me to another question, will Full hd External display, some kind of LG, display picture in FULL HD resolution? Connect it with DVI/DVI cable...because when I connect my MBP to FullHD Samsung TV with HDMI/HDMI cable (there is attached DVI/HDMI reduction) it has two strips about inch wide on both sides :( I tried anything, even googling, and only answer I found is that it is due to that reduction DVI/HDMI...is that right?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only get it if you'll be using external monitor, it's quite use less without.

5. kmac88 thread starter macrumors member

Im' buying it with an ADC student membership, so only one off discount. If i don't buy it now with the computer, i will be paying extra $20 Australian. i don't have an external screen at the moment, but will be buying one in the future. So not sure whether to save $20 and get the keyboard now, or pay extra $20 and get it when i get the screen.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's only 20$ so it's up to you. Get it now if you're going to buy external display in near future, but get a mouse as well.

7. AmazingRobie macrumors member

I have a Apple wireless keyboard and I use Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator on a regular basis so I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts which cause wear and tear on the keys, I have a stand for my MBP laptop so I pretty much never touch the laptop itself except to turn it on. I could not live without a wireless keyboard because I don't like touching the keys. A guy I work with ONLY uses the laptop keys and he's already had one of them pop off on him. Also, I agree with the previous poster about the wireless mouse as well, only don't get an Apple one, get a Logitech Nano or something similar. They're very comfortable, not to mention stylish. Hope this helps.

8. kmac88 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, thinking about getting a logitech v470, cuase it has bluetooth

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I've had the Apple wireless keyboard for a while now and I have no issues with it at all. It's a pretty good keyboard. I thought I would prefer to have a full keyboard with the numpad and such like the wired one but once I got used to the smaller size when I hook up the wired one (which I had to do to Install Windows via Boot Camp) it seemed large and clunky in comparison. I don't I could go back now.

I am using it with an iMac though, not a notebook, but man is it good to have only one cable - the power cable - hooked up. Makes everything look cleaner.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

don't listen to these people telling you that you don't need it or why would you ever.

If you want to set your computer up comfortably on a desk (most desks these days have keyboard trays) I would highly recommend getting an external keyboard. I have the bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse and they work great, and make computing at my desk much more ergonomic.

If you only rely on your MBP keyboard that requires you being pretty darn close to the computer, which means a lot of leaning forward at a desk. The built in keyboard is pretty much a clone of the wireless one in terms of size and arrangement, so it will feel just like typing on the machine's keyboard.

When I'm on the go or on the couch, my MBP's keyboard and mousepad are perfectly fine and downright amazing, if you want to get into it. BUT, I do sit at my desk a lot with it and I wouldn't have it any other way than having an external keyboard and mouse for long term comfort.

Plus, if you split the use between the two keyboards and mice, they all get dirty and used a little bit slower. I'd much rather replace an external keyboard down the line than deal with the worn on-board keyboard.

just my 2 cents. Remember though that if you want a number pad you'll have to get the USB keyboard as the bluetooth one cuts this out, which is not a big deal unless you're looking to do a lot of spreadsheets and stuff like that. On the other hand, the MBP keyboard doesn't have the numberpad either...

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fortunately, tens of thousands of people have had no problems at all.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yeah, the Apple Wireless keyboard is without a doubt the best keyboard I've used. The connection is great and the keys are sturdy.
    The Mighty Mouse on the other hand... let's just say I'm visiting the Apple Store tonight to try and get it repaired or replaced.

13. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I'm now officially confused. A little consistency please?

14. jstizzle macrumors newbie

jstizzle

i love my Apple Bluetooth keyboard. If you have a chance to get it for less, take it. It sounds like you will end up getting one anyway. I have never had any problems with mine and i have had it about a year.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I concur, those small keyboard are really tight. Love how thin and light they are. The chicklet keys are also great to type on.

16. kmac88 thread starter macrumors member

the design of the keyboard is amazing too. I checked it out at my local apple store and fell in love with it.

17. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

Me too....it's a simple sleek design. I use mine w/ my iMac & love it!

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've also been told by a csr that applecare on your system will also cover an apple bt keyboard and mighty mouse.

19. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I have my 15-inch MBP on an mStand and use an Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse. Excellent combo :cool: It's been working flawlessly for me and I'd recommend it for times of prolonged typing and such. :cool:

20. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I use an external apple keyboard with my macbook pro..Love it!!

21. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I own a Mac Mini. ;)

I think it does because I just got my MM replaced under my MBP warranty (too much difficulty to take my Mac Mini to the store ;) )