Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of visionOS, the software that runs on the Vision Pro headset. The fourth beta came out in early October, so it has been nearly a month since Apple last released a visionOS update.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Orange.jpg

Only a limited number of developers have access to Vision Pro at this time, with the headsets used for app testing purposes. Most people do not have access to the visionOS beta, and it is not entirely clear what Apple is adding in each visionOS update. Apple has said that an App Store will be coming to visionOS soon, and it appears that it may be present in this fifth beta.

Apple is letting developers attend Vision Pro labs around the world, and developers who visit these locations are able to test the Vision Pro in person and get help from Apple engineers on their visionOS apps.

The Vision Pro headset is not expected until early 2024, so Apple still has several months to refine the hardware and software.

Article Link: Apple's Work on visionOS Continues With Beta 5 Launch

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: u+ive and wilhoitm

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Let’s see if I can hit all the MacRumors tropes:
This will never sell as much as the iphone

This is the developer/beta release. It’s not even supposed to be used by real people.

It’s too expensive and in a few years they will release the real consumer model at $399 and it will weigh less than a feather.

Who needs a device you can only use for 2 hours?

No one needs this why does it exist?

Sure I missed a few. As for me…it likely is a niche product like the Mac Pro but excited to try it and I am glad the OS continues to make progress.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Using M2 at this point would be a joke.
The iPad Pro uses the M2 and it is way, way, way overpowered for what it’s doing.
And the Vision Pro pretty much runs… An augmented reality version of iPadOS.
So while I agreed that selling a $3500 face computer that doesn’t include their latest chip is weird and strange and not exactly something I think they should be doing, I do have to admit that it doesn’t seem to make a massive difference.
Especially since they haven’t really made a gaming push… yet.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
The iPad Pro uses the M2 and it is way, way, way overpowered for what it’s doing.
So while I agreed that selling a $3500 face computer that doesn’t include their latest chip is weird and strange and not exactly something I think they should be doing, I do have to admit that it doesn’t seem to make a massive difference.

They'll just emphasize the Reality chip inside over the M2 anyway.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
It surely will come out with M3.

They just could not announce M3 with Vision Pro as it would have been distraction.
Apple should worry less about distractions and more about being prepared for announcements. A year wait, is just ridiculous.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Not at all analogous. VR can use as much power as it can get especially on the GPU side (which Apple said had the biggest improvement with the M3). It has 4x as many pixels as the 12.9" iPad—though that isn't completely analogous either, since you want to over-sample and under-sample depending on where the eyes are looking.
Though even on the CPU side more power can be used—You can have more apps open simultaneously.

It may be "good enough" for a couple floating webpages or a video, but for any 3D content, it won't be overpowered.
And, of course, given that it has an estimated 2 hours of battery life, any efficiency upgrades from moving to a smaller node will be important.

And developers aren't targeting a range of devices, so they don't have to optimize to also run on a low-end iPad.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Actually article source link. Looks like this might be a leaked internal build and MR/9to5 spread it as official. Not a great look.
Yeah, this is not good. Beta 5 is not released to developers yet. If Apple pushed it out to anyone it's their privileged dev partners or only internal use. I mean, Beta 4 just launched to developers on October 26 and had been previewed internally for a few weeks.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
So anyone think this $3500 beta product wil sell more units than the AirPod max ?

AirPod maxes may I remind you werent a hit and sell less than 1 million units a year.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
I got to try the Vision Pro at one of the developer labs sessions. I'll order one ass soon as they're available. I will use it a ton when I travel -- virtual large screens and more, wherever I go.

Is this a mainstream consumer product? No. Especially not at $3500. I believe it will be when the tech matures a bit and they build the version for everyone at $1500. Or who knows, maybe inflation will quickly get us to $3500 consumer devices.

Reactions: dmi and Allen_Wentz

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
I got to try the Vision Pro at one of the developer labs sessions. I'll order one ass soon as they're available. I will use it a ton when I travel -- virtual large screens and more, wherever I go.

Is this a mainstream consumer product? No. Especially not at $3500. I believe it will be when the tech matures a bit and they build the version for everyone at $1500. Or who knows, maybe inflation will quickly get us to $3500 consumer devices.
I'm curious about this. Do you see yourself mainly using this in an airport terminal or on the plane?

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I'm curious about this. Do you see yourself mainly using this in an airport terminal or on the plane?
I use three 4K displays at my office desktop. I would love to instead use an AVP - - but of course I do not really know. I am just guessing at this point, but the AVP tech looks good enough to me that I will invest time and money to find out.

Reactions: dmi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.